Stranger on Property

Peace

[quote name="mikegideon" post="1129110" timestamp="1395640964"]I must have missed all your assholish behavior, except for the couple of times you forgot your Geritol. Even then, you were on the polite side of asshole :). Being a natural born asshole myself, I recon it all went right past me.[/quote] I assumed the subtext of that was aimed at his unashamed heathen ways. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There are so many variables involved with trespassing scenarios that you really can't judge or react to them all in the same manner. Size of the land, number and type of adjacent lots, presence of fences or other borders, time of day, nature of the offender(s), location of roads, trails, creeks, etc. etc. But in general my rule is that if it is uncommon, out of the ordinary, or otherwise makes you uncomfortable then it is a problem to be addressed promptly, and is best to err on the side of safety and caution than to end up becoming a statistic, especially when you have family members or valuable items to protect. I do all of the following for my own land, which may seem excessive to some of you but I will only say that I have good reason to do so, and there's really no down side to being extra cautious. Perhaps some of you may find a few ideas useful or can share others which I will find useful. Post the borders of your land with weatherproof signage mounted about 10' high on mature trees to discourage removal. Walmart sells signs on rolled yellow plastic sheets for $0.44 each. Install fences, even something as simple as a single strand of barbed wire if you can't afford something better, or at least sink stakes in the ground with colored flags attached to indicate your property lines. Install wireless weatherproof motion detectors at all possible points of entry or egress to your land, or at least on every approach to buildings, with at least one alarm receiver in your central location. I find it best to camouflage these, tune to avoid animals or false alarms, and test / replace batteries at least twice a year. Install wired color security cameras with infrared night vision and remote viewing via your cell phones / computers. Best to use the models which have built-in as well as off-site recording, and alarm notification features as well. Cover all buildings and common entry / exit points such as driveways, windows, and doors. If you are not trained to spot tracks or other signs of intrusion, place small items of modest value and high visibility (such as small painted ammo cans, cheap plastic tool boxes with a few cheap tools, etc.) at random places on your property, especially wooded or secluded spots. If they are moved or missing then you know it wasn't Bambi and you can install game cameras after setting out additional bait. Keep a log of any damage or removed items, tracks or signs of intrusion, damaged fence or flags, etc. including archived video from the cameras. Report any trespassers or thefts to the local police and your neighbors, even if seemingly negligible. Let your neighbors know that you have posted your land and taken various security measures without going into detail. Do not share the details of your security systems and methods with anyone, not even friends or secondary family unless they have a specific need to know. There are many other components and methods related to home and personal security so I won't go into all those here. I just listed some common things related to property line security and trespassing. If anyone wants specific advice or more details just feel free to PM me directly.
  • Like 2
Guest Lowbuster
I have been card an a$$hole many times because I'm honest. To me in most cases is a compliment. I've found even living in a neighborhood that most adults will ask if they can use my yard as a shortcut. But kids nowadays won't. Even when out camping adults make themselves known and ask, but kids will run through and even tear crap up on their way. When I was about 14 or so I was stalking the ever ferocious groundhog. As I laid in the bushes two men cut across our farm and bragged about stealing chickens.
DTA until it's earned.
This reminds me of the time, recently, that I was a trespasser. I was canoeing down a pretty good sized creek with a friend. We spotted a covered picnic shelter with benches and landscaping and decided to stop and stretch. It looked like some sort of small city park or something. We got out and were stretching our legs when I saw a guy heading towards us. Turns out it was private property and that they had done the area up nice for family functions and camp outs and such. We apologized and explained we had stopped to rest and maybe eat lunch. Luckily for us they guy was real cool and very understanding. He invited us to stay and enjoy our lunch. All he asked was that we take all trash with us (of course we did). I'm glad he was so cool and that he gave us the opportunity to get to know him. I can certainly understand why the OP is concerned. And I would take precautions. But I also will always remember the kindness of strangers who have helped me too. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

Yes.

Not saying she is not great, but if the man was on your property she was not doing her job...

I don't believe Weimeraners are known for their surveying skills. She probably doesn't even really grasp the concept of a property line, to be honest. 

Do you have or have you had a wife and kids?

First, look up "appeal to authority" logical fallacy. Second, I do, and I neither think the the OP has over, or for that matter, under-reacted. Personally, I would approach the man if I could and explain nicely, but firmly enough that he knew I was serious, that my family is my concern and would appreciate it if he didn't trespass on my property. 95% of the time that will take care of it. Most people aren't a-holes, the a-holes just get the most press. 

But the important thing to remember here is that none of our opinions matter in the least. The only thing that matters is whether the OP feels a little better now. Best of luck to you all. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks, I needed a good laugh this morning.  :)

To the OP... I'd do exactly what you did, put up some signs and maybe get a game camera just to see what's really going on.  I'd see what's on the camera before installing razor wire, high voltage fencing, and landmines.  I'd also figure out a way to get the dog down there when she's alone with the kids. If your wife doesn't have her HCP already, this might provide a little motivation for her to get it. 

• Like 3

...First, look up "appeal to authority" logical fallacy. ..

Guilty as charged.  Though it helps to understand and gauge perspective.  Kinda like taking parenting advice from someone who never had kids, no?

.. Personally, I would approach the man if I could and explain nicely, but firmly enough that he knew I was serious, that my family is my concern and would appreciate it if he didn't trespass on my property. ..

Sounds very reasonable, how are you going to do that if you are not present though?

..But the important thing to remember here is that none of our opinions matter in the least. The only thing that matters is whether the OP feels a little better now. Best of luck to you all. 

Spot on.

Edited by sigmtnman

There are so many variables involved with trespassing scenarios that you really can't judge or react to them all in the same manner. Size of the land, number and type of adjacent lots, presence of fences or other borders, time of day, nature of the offender(s), location of roads, trails, creeks, etc. etc. But in general my rule is that if it is uncommon, out of the ordinary, or otherwise makes you uncomfortable then it is a problem to be addressed promptly, and is best to err on the side of safety and caution than to end up becoming a statistic, especially when you have family members or valuable items to protect. I do all of the following for my own land, which may seem excessive to some of you but I will only say that I have good reason to do so, and there's really no down side to being extra cautious. Perhaps some of you may find a few ideas useful or can share others which I will find useful. Post the borders of your land with weatherproof signage mounted about 10' high on mature trees to discourage removal. Walmart sells signs on rolled yellow plastic sheets for $0.44 each. Install fences, even something as simple as a single strand of barbed wire if you can't afford something better, or at least sink stakes in the ground with colored flags attached to indicate your property lines. Install wireless weatherproof motion detectors at all possible points of entry or egress to your land, or at least on every approach to buildings, with at least one alarm receiver in your central location. I find it best to camouflage these, tune to avoid animals or false alarms, and test / replace batteries at least twice a year. Install wired color security cameras with infrared night vision and remote viewing via your cell phones / computers. Best to use the models which have built-in as well as off-site recording, and alarm notification features as well. Cover all buildings and common entry / exit points such as driveways, windows, and doors. If you are not trained to spot tracks or other signs of intrusion, place small items of modest value and high visibility (such as small painted ammo cans, cheap plastic tool boxes with a few cheap tools, etc.) at random places on your property, especially wooded or secluded spots. If they are moved or missing then you know it wasn't Bambi and you can install game cameras after setting out additional bait. Keep a log of any damage or removed items, tracks or signs of intrusion, damaged fence or flags, etc. including archived video from the cameras. Report any trespassers or thefts to the local police and your neighbors, even if seemingly negligible. Let your neighbors know that you have posted your land and taken various security measures without going into detail. Do not share the details of your security systems and methods with anyone, not even friends or secondary family unless they have a specific need to know. There are many other components and methods related to home and personal security so I won't go into all those here. I just listed some common things related to property line security and trespassing. If anyone wants specific advice or more details just feel free to PM me directly.

Wow! It sounds like you either need to move, or else seek help from a competent mental health professional. I don't have enough information to say which is the case.

Post it w No Tres signs,if the guy comes around say hello and find out more about him if you feel safe... if all he does is walk the creek,off your line, he may be an extra set of eyes u may need someday...if you detect a high scum factor.. fortify and affordably deter entrance to your land.. just my 2 cents

[quote name="gregintenn" post="1129182" timestamp="1395671306"]Wow! It sounds like you either need to move, or else seek help from a competent mental health professional. I don't have enough information to say which is the case.[/quote]Like I said in my post, I have reasons for extra security, which I will not relate on a public forum, nor will I attempt to justify or debate with you. Your reply was neither helpful nor contributory to the topic of the thread. If you have nothing but snide remarks it's probably best to keep those to yourself.
  • Like 2

Wow! I guess I'm glad I don't have some of you guys as neighbors. It isn't uncommon here to have someone walk across our property. Someone looking for ginseng, a neighbor checking his fence, looking for a horse that got out, a lost coon dog, or just out for a leisurely stroll.

Something may happen one day to change my mind, but methinks someone is overreacting.

You should take up a donation then when it comes time to pay land taxes since they all get so much use outta your land.  

You would think people would have enough damn sense to stay off property that don't belong to them. We had one of those "I got a hunting license, I go where I please" hunters one year. He got a stern talking to and the visual of me on the porch with a gun didn't hurt any.

I'm not against a man looking for his lost dog but you drive up to the house and ask nicely. We had one idiot just driving in the field across from the house. I wasn't polite at all with him. Probably doesn't help my out look on coon hunters that they never seem to own any land to hunt on. The local guy here has been shot at just about as much as he has had a gun pointed at him. He still has 10 dogs on a 1/4 acre lot.

Like I said in my post, I have reasons for extra security, which I will not relate on a public forum, nor will I attempt to justify or debate with you. Your reply was neither helpful nor contributory to the topic of the thread. If you have nothing but snide remarks it's probably best to keep those to yourself.

I didn't intend to be derogatory, and you have no need to justify nor debate it with me. I will say that I'm glad I'm not in your position that makes you feel the need for all the stuff you posted. I hope your situation improves quickly.

I would be looking for a way out of whatever predicament you've found yourself in.

Edited by gregintenn

I didn't intend to be derogatory, and you have no need to justify nor debate it with me. I will say that I'm glad I'm not in your position that makes you feel the need for all the stuff you posted. I hope your situation improves quickly.

I would be looking for a way out of whatever predicament you've found yourself in.

Seriously???  Have you not seen that road runner or hear of ACME?

Do what a neighbor did when I was younger. Fence your yard (overkill). He didnt like me cutting thru the outskirts of his property for me to get home. I LIVED right behind this asshole. I got my revenge later when his grandkids? came to use our slop after it had snowed. Told them to vacate the premises or I would call the police for trespassing. He looked at me and I gave them the most well deserved bird. 

Do what a neighbor did when I was younger. Fence your yard (overkill). He didnt like me cutting thru the outskirts of his property for me to get home. I LIVED right behind this asshole. I got my revenge later when his grandkids? came to use our slop after it had snowed. Told them to vacate the premises or I would call the police for trespassing. He looked at me and I gave them the most well deserved bird. 

You guys are making me appreciate having good neighbors more and more.

• Like 3

The one thing that hasn't been suggested yet would be to ask your wife, "If something like this happens again and the person is acting suspicious, what are you going to do if I'm not here?"

It's her job to protect the kids too. When I have posed similar questions to some of my women friends, I just get a deer-in-the-headlights stare. The world is a dangerous place. Ignoring that fact is comforting right up until it bites you.

You need to get her to think about security and help her come up with the best options for various situations... handgun, pepper spray on the keychain, cell phone on her person when in the yard, neighbor's number on speed dial, whatever works for her. 

• Like 6