Need advice-- Pocket carry

Guest Eklipse113

Guest Eklipse113

Hi all, I just joined up as I'm moving to Knoxville from Chicago in just under 2 weeks.  I have my IL carry permit and just found out today that TN honors it for 6 mo til I get my TN resident permit... so that's nice!

I just got a Beretta Nano that I've been pocket carrying in a Desantis Nemesis (I don't want to have to wear specific cover garments for IWB, but I did get the Beretta holster and love it when I don't have to bend or sit... not very practical).  In my jeans it was printing a little too much of the outline so I've been using a piece of cardboard in front of the holster (yes I'm careful to make sure it doesn't slip into the holster) to break up the outline of the gun... I'm planning to get a Superfly holster instead but I still have a problem.

The gun is pretty thin - around 0.9 inches, but with the holster it comes in at just about 1 1/4 inches thick The Superfly will add another maybe 1/4 inch... so I'm not sure it'll be doing me any favors.  It is extremely obvious that something big and square is in my pocket-- I've gotten a few funny looks but I know when I'm walking around the city, I don't tend to look at people's pockets and think "he might be carrying a gun".   So mostly I've just gone about my business despite the huge bulge, because no one is going to ask, and if they do, it's still "concealed or mostly concealed" per the law in my state (not sure if TN would allow this-- it's not a gun shaped print, it's square).  

Yet, it still looks funky and I'd rather not have such a big bulge showing in my pocket.  Especially when I pull out my wallet to pay at the grocery store while on my cell phone... I've been planning to claim it's a glucose meter if I ever got called out (I'm not diabetic, but who would argue with me).  The bottom line is, for me to feel comfortable carrying I want the gun to disappear and be wearable despite my outfit.  I'm 26 and want to still be somewhat stylish-- which is really the biggest barrier I think I'm facing with finding the right holster/carry method.

I've noticed dress slacks seem to hide the gun better- deeper pockets, not as tight.  So my big question is, how can I select the best pants to maximize concealment?  Obviously bigger, deeper pockets should help.  But do I go one size larger on the waist too, to give my legs some breathing room?  I did come across the CCW Breakaway pants but they're pricey and well, I can't really try them on and be sure I like how they look.

Anyone able to provide some further insight?

different brands of jeans have different pockets.  Try a few brands to see what works for you.   A lot of carry folks wear an untucked shirt that is big enough to cover part of your pants and break up the outline some. 

Dress pants do generally have bigger pockets but they also print more as the material is thinner. 

Loose pants can help, skin tight will show more.  Get a belt, go 1 size bigger, and it will hide better.  

They *make* a square pocket holster, I forget the brand(s) but its out there in a single piece.   

Maybe, don't worry about it.  People carry all kinds of electronics these days, most of it square.  Phones, tablets, chargers, and more. 

I don't know what "stylish" even means, but if it means dress clothing a sport coat does wonders to hide things (given your comment on dress pants?)

• Like 1
Guest Eklipse113

Keep it coming-- helpful so far.

I did look around online at other holsters that are more square-ish, but they didn't make them for the nano.  I'd have to get a custom one or something.

After posting this thread up I gave it a try putting my IWB holster at the 2:30-3:00 position or so, and found I really like it just barely in front of the 3:00-- I can bend over completely without print.  It has a tiny bit of the corner of the slide printing through when I'm standing up right but you have to be at exactly the right angle in front of me to see it.

So, I think that's how I'm going to carry it from now on-- although the pocket is pretty convenient to slip in and out when going to a GFZ (the holster beretta sells is really easy to slip on and off too though)

Started pocket caring almost as soon as  I got my carry permit. Tru-Spec 24-7 are the paints I started wearing daily. Mostly carry an SP101 in a  DeSantis holster. Just like the way it fits my hand.  I also carry a Ruger SR9c in a Remora holster. I have only had one person comment on the paints. They liked the amount of pockets.   

You're over thinking it. Even open carry won't be noticed by a majority. A handgun that "has a tiny bit of the corner of the slide printing through when I'm standing up right but you have to be at exactly the right angle in front of me to see it" will not be noticed.

As long as you're not completely obvious*, don't worry about. If I may, here's a bit of advice. Since youre moving here, try to stop thinking like a chicagoan and try to start thinking like a Tennessean. This a free state.

* Here's an anecdote that I've shared here before. I was working in the Smokies. A chicago cop came to camp in the campground where I worked. He was wearing a fanny pack that quite obviously carried a handgun. I asked what he was carrying. Being a gun nut, I just wanted to talk guns. But all the blood drained from face and his wife started going off about how she told him not to carry that. It took me a while to figure out that he probably thought his life was ruined by being "made".

See, HE was thinking like a chicagoan, where, had the roles been reversed, I would have spent quite a while in prison. But being a native Tennessean, I didn't even bother calling LE. (it was still not lawful, even for an out-of-state cop, to carry in the park.) Even if I had, they would have simply told him to keep it unloaded, just the same as anyone else.

I apologize for the tangent. I understand that you're simply trying to stay within the law, and that's fine. But our laws aren't nearly as bad as in IL. Open carry is legal, so printing isn't a big deal.

How does that line from an old movie go? " You must assimilate"?
  • Like 1
The likelihood of the unwashed masses noticing that you're printing with a Nano is slim to none, both in Illinois and here in Tennessee.

While I am very much an "under the radar" kind of guy, I could care less if I get made; I have a permit, don't knowingly violate gfz's and actually invest time and money to be proficient with my handguns.

you'll be fine once you drink our Kool Aid
  • Like 2

Anyone able to provide some further insight?

Welcome to Tennessee; I moved here from Illinois 16 years ago. As has already been stated, once you get your HCP; don’t worry about it. Although it is hotly debated here you can carry however you like (for now). However, make sure you get your HCP within the time allotted; carrying a gun in Tennessee is a crime just as it is in Illinois.

With an HCP, You can also carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle as long as a round is not chambered.

I was in Illinois last weekend for the annual Motorcycle Freedom rally and the ride on the capitol. That event is one I use as an example of what a gun rights rally should look like. (Of course everyone doesn’t need to be on a motorcycle. biggrin.gif)

You must have been one of the first to get an Illinois permit. My daughter sent me a text of hers last month along with pictures of her new carry holster. thumbsup.gif

I've noticed dress slacks seem to hide the gun better- deeper pockets, not as tight. So my big question is, how can I select the best pants to maximize concealment? Obviously bigger, deeper pockets should help. But do I go one size larger on the waist too, to give my legs some breathing room? I did come across the CCW Breakaway pants but they're pricey and well, I can't really try them on and be sure I like how they look.

I use an OWB holster covered with a shirt.... no need for big azz pants.
No way would I pocket carry a gun, but that’s just my opinion. Edited by DaveTN

Started pocket caring almost as soon as  I got my carry permit. Tru-Spec 24-7 are the paints I started wearing daily. Mostly carry an SP101 in a  DeSantis holster. Just like the way it fits my hand.  I also carry a Ruger SR9c in a Remora holster. I have only had one person comment on the paints. They liked the amount of pockets.   

Same here on the TruSpec pants. Plenty of pocket room. Very comfortable as well. As for a holster, I got a nylon holster

for $10 @ WallyWorld. Works just fine for me. Wasn't looking for fancy, just keep lint, etc. out of the gun.

Welcome to TGO & Tenn. Good luck with your choice.

Welcome to TGO and as you can see the folks are great here and always willing to answer questions and offer good advice. Don't worry so much about fitting it and about your gun printing as most folks down here can spot a person that is armed without a print at all. don't worry- be happy as the saying goes............ :up: :up:

Welcome to TGO & TN.

I wear a lot of carpenter jeans like these, http://dungarees.net/product_Carhartt_B13_Washed_Denim_Dungaree_Fit_Jean-120-1.html. They have a lot of room in the pockets and have a looser fit. These Carharrt jeans have a slash cut front pocket that works well for pocket carry versus regular jeans. I pocket carry my Keltec P32 in them with no problems.

I have a pocket holster I got off ebay about 5 years ago, don't remember the name but it was some custom leather shop with an ebay store. It converts for back or front pocket carry. Looks like you have a wallet in your back pocket

Welcome to TN and welcome to TGO. Despite the leniency of our carry laws for HCP holders, I still prefer not to be made. I don't stress about it, since I'm legal. I just like be incognito is all, so, I dress to conceal. Long-tailed, loose-fitting shirts are all I wear. This keeps all my bases covered, since I don't have to tuck my shirt in at work. On the rare occasion when I do have to tuck my shirt, I prefer to pocket carry, though. Edited by BigK

Welcome to Tennessee. I'd agree with most everything said so far, but here's a few more ideas nonetheless.

1. You don't need to wear jean in TN to be stylish. Look around and see what the college kids are wearing. I'm pretty sure you'll see some baggy fit alternatives.  Cargo pants are pretty popular in Nashville. 

2. Make your own pocket holster that's only 1/16 inch wider than your handgun. I do it for all my pocket carry guns. Here's a link. http://tinyurl.com/lkofse8  If you use gaffers tape (photographers tape), it can look pretty good, if that's important to you. Once you get the hang of it, you can make different cants for different pants. 

3. This is Tennessee. Buy more guns. Seriously, I have a different preferred carry for winter, summer, suits, or shorts with t-shirt. 

4. In summer, I'll sometimes wear an unbuttoned square-tailed shirt over a coolmax-type t-shirt.  You see this look in the mall store windows, so I assume it must be considered somewhat in fashion. It the gun fits flush to the body, you can carry OWB or IWB like this. I think it looks nicer than wearing an untucked round-tailed shirt, but that's just my preference. 

Edited by jgradyc

I've said this a bunch of times in a bunch of threads....    Most people wouldn't notice if you were on fire.  Most of those who would notice, wouldn't do anything about it. 

As phones continue to grow from big, to huge, to just plain absurd, people are accustomed to seeing bulges on waistlines and in pockets. 

• Like 1

Welcome to TN and welcome to TGO. Despite the leniency of our carry laws for HCP holders, I still prefer not to be made. I don't stress about it, since I'm legal. I just like be incognito is all, so, I dress to conceal. Long-tailed, loose-fitting shirts are all I wear. This keeps all my bases covered, since I don't have to tuck my shirt in at work. On the rare occasion when I do have to tuck my shirt, I prefer to pocket carry, though.

This has worked well for the years I've carried a weapon.
Guest Eklipse113

Welcome to Tennessee. I'd agree with most everything said so far, but here's a few more ideas nonetheless.

1. You don't need to wear jean in TN to be stylish. Look around and see what the college kids are wearing. I'm pretty sure you'll see some baggy fit alternatives.  Cargo pants are pretty popular in Nashville. 

2. Make your own pocket holster that's only 1/16 inch wider than your handgun. I do it for all my pocket carry guns. Here's a link. http://tinyurl.com/lkofse8  If you use gaffers tape (photographers tape), it can look pretty good, if that's important to you. Once you get the hang of it, you can make different cants for different pants. 

3. This is Tennessee. Buy more guns. Seriously, I have a different preferred carry for winter, summer, suits, or shorts with t-shirt. 

4. In summer, I'll sometimes wear an unbuttoned square-tailed shirt over a coolmax-type t-shirt.  You see this look in the mall store windows, so I assume it must be considered somewhat in fashion. It the gun fits flush to the body, you can carry OWB or IWB like this. I think it looks nicer than wearing an untucked round-tailed shirt, but that's just my preference. 

That link was excellent. I might do that-- because the big problem with my holster is plainly how thick it is.  The Nano alone by itself is hardly thicker than my Galaxy Note 2 in its Otterbox case-- if it weren't for the grip the phone would actually be bigger.

Which makes it hard to commit an entire pocket to the gun, but yeah, worth it.

Had my CCW in Ohio before we moved here 5 years ago. Had no problems transferring it when we moved. In Ohio little old ladies would suck up all the air in the grocery store if they saw the butt of a handgun sticking out of your pants. Here they want to see what you are carrying.

I carry my shield IWB with my tee shirt shirttail out or my LCP in a holster that prints like a wallet in my back pocket. 

I usually pocket carry a J-frame S&W using a DeSantis Nemesis.  It may very well look like I have a gun in my pocket.  But really more just looks like I have a lump in my pocket.  Could be a fat wallet, could be a big cell phone.  Nobody notices, nobody cares, nobody gives it a second look.

If they did, what would it matter?  I have a permit.  I only carry where it is legal and not prohibited by signage.  Since open carry is legal here with the permit, then I'm not breaking any laws by "printing."

If I feel like carrying on my belt, I usually go for a Glock 26 and just leave my shirt untucked.  I suppose if you looked you'd notice I had an odd asymmetrical bulge on that side of my body.  Again, I really don't care.  It's not out in the open, so someone would have to be looking for it, or know what it is when they noticed it.  Just really not an issue for me.

You're over thinking it. Even open carry won't be noticed by a majority. A handgun that "has a tiny bit of the corner of the slide printing through when I'm standing up right but you have to be at exactly the right angle in front of me to see it" will not be noticed.

As long as you're not completely obvious*, don't worry about. If I may, here's a bit of advice. Since youre moving here, try to stop thinking like a chicagoan and try to start thinking like a Tennessean. This a free state.

* Here's an anecdote that I've shared here before. I was working in the Smokies. A chicago cop came to camp in the campground where I worked. He was wearing a fanny pack that quite obviously carried a handgun. I asked what he was carrying. Being a gun nut, I just wanted to talk guns. But all the blood drained from face and his wife started going off about how she told him not to carry that. It took me a while to figure out that he probably thought his life was ruined by being "made".

See, HE was thinking like a chicagoan, where, had the roles been reversed, I would have spent quite a while in prison. But being a native Tennessean, I didn't even bother calling LE. (it was still not lawful, even for an out-of-state cop, to carry in the park.) Even if I had, they would have simply told him to keep it unloaded, just the same as anyone else.

I apologize for the tangent. I understand that you're simply trying to stay within the law, and that's fine. But our laws aren't nearly as bad as in IL. Open carry is legal, so printing isn't a big deal.

How does that line from an old movie go? " You must assimilate"?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/61190-carrying-in-national-parks/  here is some good info ,

[quote name="Eklipse113" post="1147823" timestamp="1399766226"]Keep it coming-- helpful so far. I did look around online at other holsters that are more square-ish, but they didn't make them for the nano. I'd have to get a custom one or something. After posting this thread up I gave it a try putting my IWB holster at the 2:30-3:00 position or so, and found I really like it just barely in front of the 3:00-- I can bend over completely without print. It has a tiny bit of the corner of the slide printing through when I'm standing up right but you have to be at exactly the right angle in front of me to see it. So, I think that's how I'm going to carry it from now on-- although the pocket is pretty convenient to slip in and out when going to a GFZ (the holster beretta sells is really easy to slip on and off too though)[/quote] I cannot add much which already hasn't been said. I am originally from Central Illinois. I moved to Missouri nearly 20 years ago and had a CCW there. While being gun friendly, MO is not nearly as friendly to 2O lovers as TN. I'm very happy I moved here two years ago. Welcome to TN! Michael Noirot Clarksville, Tennessee Life member National Rifle Association Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That link was excellent. I might do that-- because the big problem with my holster is plainly how thick it is.  The Nano alone by itself is hardly thicker than my Galaxy Note 2 in its Otterbox case-- if it weren't for the grip the phone would actually be bigger.

Which makes it hard to commit an entire pocket to the gun, but yeah, worth it.

And yet another good reason to not carry a phone around ...