Nashville Best BBQ?

Not a fan of Edleys myself. I thought it was a bit dry and didn't care for the sides. Plus they have too many hipsters.

Martin's is delicious. They have a deep smoky flavor.

Slow N Low has good brisket. So does Tex's but they're only open M-F for lunch.

Peg-leg Porker is getting some good foodie press, but I haven't been over to try it yet.

Hog Heaven by Centennial Park used to be great, but I haven't been in years and hear it's not what it once was.

So subjective. Everyone thinks theirs is best. Hell, just go eat it, if it's good go back. I don't understand the pissing contest. I have friends in North Carolina that bitch at sauce made from "ketchup". It's not ketchup based, it's tomato based but you can't convince them of that.
  • Like 2

Not a fan of Edleys myself. I thought it was a bit dry and didn't care for the sides. Plus they have too many hipsters.

Martin's is delicious. They have a deep smoky flavor.

Slow N Low has good brisket. So does Tex's but they're only open M-F for lunch.

Peg-leg Porker is getting some good foodie press, but I haven't been over to try it yet.

Hog Heaven by Centennial Park used to be great, but I haven't been in years and hear it's not what it once was.

Pretty spot on analysis.  Martins is hands down the best in my opinion.

I was excited to try Peg-Leg Porker because of the good press but I thought is was mediocre at best.

I think the problem with the traditional BBQ hot spots is that they are hamstrung by a regional style of BBQ, though each has their own place i like the variety. The Nashville area has a variety of places where one can find any type of BBQ they like.

Never been a big fan of Memphis style BBQ, me being from North Carolina may have something to do with that.  

• Admin Team
I always liked vinegar based sauce.

It was never the best barbecue, but I miss dollar sandwich days at Whitt's.

Maybe it's my Georgian upbringing, but in the traditions of Malear's and Sprayberry's, I can appreciate the simplicity of a pork sandwich on white bread with some plain Lay's chips and a glass of sweet tea.
  • Like 1
[quote name="MacGyver" post="1150949" timestamp="1400718667"]I always liked vinegar based sauce. It was never the best barbecue, but I miss dollar sandwich days at Whitt's. Maybe it's my Georgian upbringing, but in the traditions of Malear's and Sprayberry's, I can appreciate the simplicity of a pork sandwich on white bread with some plain Lay's chips and a glass of sweet tea.[/quote] I actually like the vinegar sauce too. I just don't care for the "I can't believe you eat 'that' type of BBQ"

In all honesty I think the days of really good Bar-B-Que is gone. I know that most all Bar B-Que pits have quit saucing the meats while they are cooking like I was raised on. There use to be places where folks would pit whole hogs and sell it out in their front yards on weekends and it was never dry but some of the best ever. Some folks would make hot while others made mild and folks would go buy which ever they wanted but state stopped all that years ago because the meat was not USDA inspected.  I know it would mean cooking 2 different types of meat at the same time both some hot and some mild but at least it would not all be dry when you bought it................jmho

• Like 1
[quote name="MacGyver" post="1150949" timestamp="1400718667"]I always liked vinegar based sauce. It was never the best barbecue, but I miss dollar sandwich days at Whitt's. Maybe it's my Georgian upbringing, but in the traditions of Malear's and Sprayberry's, I can appreciate the simplicity of a pork sandwich on white bread with some plain Lay's chips and a glass of sweet tea.[/quote] Oh man, the dollar sandwich at Whitt's. Wasn't it on Wednesdays? I took home a lot of $10 sackfuls of pulled pork sandwiches .

The Bar-B-Cutie on Donelson Pike is pretty good. Not award winning, but better than a lot of places, good prices, and great service. I've heard less flattering things about other BBCutie locations.

Some of the worst around IMO is Stroud's. I don't know how people like that stuff. Dry, tough, bland, and stringy. Plus their sides suck worse than Edley's. The only good thing on their menu is a bag of Lay's chips.

Edited by monkeylizard
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1150886" timestamp="1400704228"]Edleys BBQ. That is all. :Rock:[/quote] I love that place too. The "Tuck Special" is the best bbq sandwich I ever had. Sounds weird, I know, but soooo good! BTW...Slick Pig in M'boro has $0.99 sandwiches on Tuesdays and the best chicken wings EVER! Edited by BigK
  • Moderators

It's bull####.  You can find good BBQ many places but it's a way of life in Memphis.

The folks who compiled this list obviously weren't inhaling the smoke from the pit, they were inhaling smoke from something else. Apparently Brother James Salton was wrong, cause apparently you can get somewhere smoking the pipe. It seems you can get a job writing for Travel & Leisure.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0gt7vxNCQ[/media]

I'm with you. After spending two years in Texas, I can appreciate the differences.

I lived in Texas for 4 years while going to college.  My eyes were opened to whole new type of barbecue.  One of my buddies turned me on to this little hole in the wall joint.  Sliced brisket sandwiches with a fishbowl of beer for $3.25.  That was some good brisket.

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 2

I grew up in West TN and was raised on West TN BBQ.  Wherever you buy it, if you are eating smoked, hand-pulled pork (and not sauced-to-death or chopped to pieces), then you are eating West TN BBQ.  (same goes for Texas-style)

The best BBQ I've had has always come from rural smokers who run little pickup spots or small dine-in places.  Surely there are some of those around and outside of Nashville.  I remember the little shop across from the fire station in Franklin being pretty good - but that's been over 6 years ago.

Heck, even Whitt's BBQ is easy going down,... but that's because it is boiled in salt brine.

There were a couple of those around Lebanon years ago. It was on 109 just north of Leeville Pike. Hole in the wall meat n three place. The old guy that ran the place smoked the stuff in a little block shed out back. It's gone now.

The other place was over by the projects. I don't know if it's still there. IIRC, it was across the street from Alan's "Market" aka the place with the dice game in the back. It could have been a block or two towards the fairgrounds from there. Had to get that stuff to go. No way you could sit in there and eat it without getting smoked yourself. :)

• Like 1

There were a couple of those around Lebanon years ago. It was on 109 just north of Leeville Pike. Hole in the wall meat n three place. The old guy that ran the place smoked the stuff in a little block shed out back. It's gone now.

That was Burrs and it was his 2nd location. Road widening got it. The real Burrs is on Old Railroad Bed aka East Division St. at the corner of Rutland. It really ain't far. And I'm not sure he's open all the time any more. He may just do catering now. Hell he may have quit altogether.

I like Mickey Roos in Franklin. I think I'll go there now. Edited by JWC