Need help: stripped screw head

I have a stripped screw head on my car's mass airflow sensor. The surrounding area is plastic but the screw goes into the hole that is lined with metal , or at least that what I could tell by looking at the area of the other screw. I'm really bad about stripping heads and and threads but this one was in there really tight and the screw head seemed really soft . Anyways , I have never used an " easy-out" dril bit . Is this a time where one would work ? The screw is small. I just dont want to damage the surrounding area . Any suggestions ? I'll try to post some pictures. 

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/mazdascrew1_zpsea692c3b.jpg.html]mazdascrew1_zpsea692c3b.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/mazdascrew2_zps404a212c.jpg.html]mazdascrew2_zps404a212c.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/mazdascrew3_zps0b9288d2.jpg.html]mazdascrew3_zps0b9288d2.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89

Assuming the screw is a normal right-hand thread, drill into it with a left-hand drill bit. That usually works, and you don't need an extractor. Depending on the damage, if you can't get a good start, take a center punch or just something metal, round and pointed, place it in the center of the screw, and tap it with a hammer a few times.

Chances are you probably don't have a left-hand drill bit, but they're handy to have for cases like this.

Your bet bet is to use an impact driver. If the screw is not rusted in it will remove and not damage the screw. If in Nashville area pm me you can use mine. My mistake I see your in Clarksville. Auto zone may have one you can rent. Edited by glock55

Use a small Dremel tool attachment , to machine a standard or Phillips head "groove" , then remove the screw.

This^^.  Put two of the thin cutoff wheels back-to-back on your dremel and grind a straight groove for a standard flat-blade screwdriver.

This method is the weakness of any "security" screws also.  They can all be defeated with a dremel and a screwdriver.

If you have a square bit, sometimes you can use one of those to get a stripped screw out depending on how stripped it is. Otherwise, in the past I have hammered screwdrivers "into" screws *prudently* (these srewdrivers were designed to be struck if needed), then unscrewed them while keeping pressure on the screw, somtimes implementing a wrench to break the torque. You may not be able to do this since there is all that plastic.

If the best option is cutting a slot into the screw or backing it out with a specialty bit as mentioned above, and a penetrating lubricant doesn't help loosen it after dwelling for 15-30 minutes or so....you may have to freeze it loose.....

....but hopefully it isn't siezed and it stripped from overexposure.

Edited by Ted S.

Everything they said.... screw extractor, slot it with a dremel, impact driver, drill the head out, penetrating oil... all of those work.

But there's the trick....   Japanese cars don't use normal Phillips head screws, they use JIS spec screws.  A standard Phillips head screwdriver doesn't fit them properly which results in stripped heads.  You need a set of JIS spec screwdrivers.  I've learned that many times while working on Japanese motorcycles.

http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-4-JIS-Screwdriver-3rd/dp/B00A7WAHTU

• Like 3

Everything they said.... screw extractor, slot it with a dremel, impact driver, drill the head out, penetrating oil... all of those work.

But there's the trick....   Japanese cars don't use normal Phillips head screws, they use JIS spec screws.  A standard Phillips head screwdriver doesn't fit them properly which results in stripped heads.  You need a set of JIS spec screwdrivers.  I've learned that many times while working on Japanese motorcycles.

All I have is Japanese and I have noticed over the years how the screwdriver fitment sucks. So that explains it ! Hey thanks , thats great to know.

Guest Lowbuster
I have removed stripped screws by putting a rubber band in the head where the driver goes.if that don't work, I have a set like Redd333
Guest kingarmory

Your bet bet is to use an impact driver. If the screw is not rusted in it will remove and not damage the screw. If in Nashville area pm me you can use mine. My mistake I see your in Clarksville. Auto zone may have one you can rent.

On most applications I would agree with you, but using an impact driver on a MAF sensor will very easily damage it (two thin filaments in there).  No hammering on this item at all.

Get to Lowes and get a 3 pack of these.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=299780-41877-8430P&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3031513&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
I use them at work, fix cooking gear in kitchens, they work GREAT!!!

Which extractor is that? For some reason it won't open for me. Seems like I always have problems opening links to lowes

Drill the head off then use pliers to remove the shaft if nothing else works.

I have done this probably 500 times over the years as a mechanic and it never failed to work. Drill top off screw, remove Mass Air flow Sensor and then use small pair of vice grips to remove remaining screw shaft................ :up: :up:

On most applications I would agree with you, but using an impact driver on a MAF sensor will very easily damage it (two thin filaments in there).  No hammering on this item at all.

I would agree with you if the sensor was good however I don't know why anyone would pull a good sensor out. working for a large truck rental company I replace a few of these every month. I always use impact driver and correct bit with no issues. I suppose this will be a non issue before long as most manufactures are going to membrane sensor technology. no more hot or cold wire sensors in the near future will make everyone's life easier.

Guest kingarmory

The OP said he was removing the MAF sensor but never specified why or whether he was replacing it, hence the input on not using an impact driver ;)

I would agree with you if the sensor was good however I don't know why anyone would pull a good sensor out. working for a large truck rental company I replace a few of these every month. I always use impact driver and correct bit with no issues. I suppose this will be a non issue before long as most manufactures are going to membrane sensor technology. no more hot or cold wire sensors in the near future will make everyone's life easier.

But there's the trick.... Japanese cars don't use normal Phillips head screws, they use JIS spec screws. A standard Phillips head screwdriver doesn't fit them properly which results in stripped heads. You need a set of JIS spec screwdrivers. I've learned that many times while working on Japanese motorcycles.

Great tip peejman, always use the right tool for the job, if you can. I keep dozens of different size drivers and bits to make sure I don't strip the heads. As far as methods go all above are pretty sound. Dremel trick would be the first one I would try.