Ideas for back up carry gun?

Looking for opinions on what everyone's suggestion is for a BUG. I normally carry my Glock 19, 26, or 30. Looking for something small, thinking pocket carry, as a BUG to carry.

Originally thought about one of the NAA 22's, but open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAA are great guns but many can't get passed the 22lr or 22mag chambering though. They are S/A but that doesn't bother me, it is very easy for me to cock them. I had the 22lr version and sold it to go 22mag, I was actually extremely accurate with the 22lr version. I am less accurate with the magnum even with a 22lr cylinder.(Strange I know!)

For a civilian it is hard to beat a LCP or other pocket .380.
  • Like 2

When I was looking for something to carry in my pocket, at least some of the time, I couldn't find anything that was as easily concealed at the LCP.  Get a good holster (Desantis, Alabama Holster, Recluse, etc), and it practically disappears.  I also carry it sometimes on my ankle in a Galco Ankle Lite, or on my belt with a Bulldog PDA Case.  The Bulldog is a little bigger than your typical cell phone case, but I'm a big enough nerd that I can pull it off...  :D

I've got an NAA mini mag and it is a dependable bug. But I also have a Seecamp 32acp that is the best bug I've ever owned (and I've owner a lot of bugs). It is very picky on ammo but you'd be hard pressed to find something smaller and better made. Its pricy but worth every penny.

My Bug is LCP. I consider if my get off me gun. Wouldn't want to depend on it as normal carry but within 5 yards OH YEA!!!! It will do business. Most times it is in my pocket around the house and out in my yard...........jmho

For pocket carry, I carry either the KelTec P3-AT or the Kahr PM9. The thickness of the gun is really what limits pocket carry, in my opinion.

I have a DeSantis, but a super skinny holster is a big plus for the PM9 or anything bigger. I make my own pocket holsters out of plastic one-gallon jugs and gaffers tape.  Here's a link that shows a few in various stages of completion. http://www.thektog.org/forum/f87/milk-jug-pocket-holsters-256713/  

I don't think I could add to these excellent replies. Sometimes I carry a Back Up Gun and sometimes I'll just carry two pistols. This time of year I may slip a .380 in my pocket and another .380 IWB.

I like the NAAs but if you have space I would rather have one of the micro 9s or 380s.   A tiny 9 like the sig 238 or shield can share ammo with your main, perhaps.  There are a lot of small guns out there -- few as tiny as the 22s but tons of 5ish x 4ish x 1.25  "wallet sized" offerings....   

Guest kingarmory

My main carry gun is either a G21 or a 1911 usually.  For a BUG I usually have a 637 or 442 Airweight in an IWB Galco holster or my old-school stainless Charter Arms Bulldog in the same holster.  Sometimes I'll carry a G30 as a BUG if I'm carrying the G21 since the mags interchange

Lots of excellent ideas. Like most of us, I wish I had the money for them all.

Think I'm going to go with a Ruger LCP. At least that will be my first BUG. I'm sure there will be many more to follow. This is going to be interesting. First non-Glock pistol I have bought in a while.
  • Like 2

Oh, I forgot to mention the P3-AT is NOT fun to shoot. That's not to imply that it's painful to shoot. It's just not a gun I'd like to put a 100 rounds downrange every weekend. If that's a consideration for your EDC pocket carry, then you'd probably want to stay away from it or the LCP. It's a non-factor for me.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention the P3-AT is NOT fun to shoot. That's not to imply that it's painful to shoot. It's just not a gun I'd like to put a 100 rounds downrange every weekend. If that's a consideration for your EDC pocket carry, then you'd probably want to stay away from it or the LCP. It's a non-factor for me.

Agreed.  I have a P3AT and I fire it enough to convince myself that it still works and I can still hit the target from 10 ft away, then I put it away.  I've got a cut-down Hogue slip-on grip on mine and it helps immensely, but it's still not fun particularly fun to shoot a lot.