Has anyone really done it this way and is it worth it.

My appatite has been down lately so I was looking for something in the freezer that was quick easy and a smaller portion that a full meal. I spotted some hot pockets and thought that will do. I have always made 2 at a time and know the amount time it takes, so I figured I will check and see what one should be microwaved for. I looked on the back and a number caught my eye, 28 minutes. Apparently if you choose to use the oven it takes 28 minutes, are you freaking kidding me. Has anyone ever used the oven option, if so is the hot pocket that much better? I can make a from scratch pizza in about that time and it will be a heck of a lot better than a hot pocket.
Not worth it. I use the microwave for most about everything pre made and frozen. Oven is only marginally better overall and not worth the wait. If I want a higher quality meal it won't have cost $2.50 and come from the Walmart freezer. The only exception is "full" sized pizza like tombstone or digorno, and anything breaded or meant to be fried.
  • Like 1

i used a cheap convict oven once and it was meh was to crispy for me

Hey if its paid its debt to society, is hard working and on track, I don't see what his criminal history has to do with anything. Even if your oven had been a total boy scout the hot pocket still wouldn't have been worth the wait.
  • Like 9
Try the Healthy Choice meals. Low calorie and pretty tasty. Kind of small for most men, but eat it with a half sandwich and it's pretty filling.

And it microwaves rather well, but use less than the time indicated on the packages. I experimented with the time and found that for me about 30-45 seconds less heats and thaws it perfectly.

Sorry...got off the Hot pocket topic. They are edible, that's about all I'd say for them. Edited by hipower
I am not a huge fan of hot pockets, usually I make all my food from scratch, but I have been sick lately and can't really taste all that well so I figured it would be a good hot pocket night. I just can't believe it even listed 28 minutes as an option.

I was talking to a friend about this and they told me that his wife got a frozen lasagna and it has a 3 hour cook time. I dot get these times, I make lasagna on a pretty regular basis. I don't always make the pasta from scratch but even when I do I think from start to finish it is about 1.5 hours. I guess I just don't buy enough frozen food stuff because these times to me are insane. I thought the point of a frozen food was to make meal time faster. If it takes me longer it makes no sense to eat a frozen meal.

Hey if its paid its debt to society, is hard working and on track, I don't see what his criminal history has to do with anything. Even if your oven had been a total boy scout the hot pocket still wouldn't have been worth the wait.

Dammit! I want pizza now. :stir:

Guest Lester Weevils

Wife makes wonderful from scratch lasagna, but have to admit some of the brands of frozen lasagna are close enough to made from scratch that I'm hard pressed to say it is worth the extra effort to do made from scratch except for special event. Maybe a person with better taste buds could tell a bigger difference.

I wont buy non microwavable frozen food. Ferinstance some pot pies and frozen chicken are labeled do not microwave, and I don't buy those. Wife will oven cook a pot pie or piece of frozen chicken and wait ferever for it to cook. She claims it tastes better to her, cooked in the oven.

Pizza seems never works good microwaved. Dunno if I ever ate palatable microwave pizza, even good ones like digorno.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I won't lie, I use the oven for everything. From Hot Pockets to burritos.

Yes it is better.

You know what they say, if the first words are "I'm not lying" it probably a lie?

But then again, I can believe it coming from you.

Just kidding you Murg.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Wife makes wonderful from scratch lasagna, but have to admit some of the brands of frozen lasagna are close enough to made from scratch that I'm hard pressed to say it is worth the extra effort to do made from scratch except for special event. Maybe a person with better taste buds could tell a bigger difference.

My wife makes a lasagna with bechamel sauce that is out of this world good - straight out of Classics of Italian Cooking. It's usually about 3.5 hours off and on because the sauce simmers and reduces down a lot.

The frozen ones that are edible practically cost more than making one from scratch. Factor in the time it takes to "cook" and the quality and I think I'd rather just have a sandwich.
Guest Lester Weevils

Women seem more likely to use an oven. Maybe because they can plan ahead and know (just like yesterday and the day before) "in a couple of hours i'll be hungry, so maybe will pop something in the oven."

Wheras man, suddenly stomach growl. Me Hungry. Eat now!

Edited by Lester Weevils

Consider Jamaican patties. Available from some Dollar Trees and probably elsewhere. Can't be beat for a dollar. The family always eats the beef ones up but not the chicken so it's good that I like those.

I've seen them in a Kroger out at Pigeon Forge come to think of it too. None local though.

Consider Jamaican patties. Available from some Dollar Trees and probably elsewhere. Can't be beat for a dollar. The family always eats the beef ones up but not the chicken so it's good that I like those.

I've seen them in a Kroger out at Pigeon Forge come to think of it too. None local though.

Are those the cornbreadish pouches of ground meat in the paper wrappers? If so I do like those but they are too bland out of the package. I need at least add some kind of cheese or sauce. They're very good with a little green salsa.

I won't lie, I use the oven for everything. From Hot Pockets to burritos.

Yes it is better.

Me too. I nuke everything to 80% then pop it in a hot oven to crisp it. Only takes a couple extra minutes and it makes a huge difference