Sign the petition to stop H.R. 5344

I must ask y'all something? Do you now own body armor and wear it 24/7? If not, what's the big deal then? If things are that bad that we/you/us need body armor, we might want sit down and evaluate our lifestyles. All I'm doing is voicing my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm a leftest, commy or anything else. I'm a combat veteran of this great country and am very thankful our enemies at the time didn't have body armor, just like I don't want them having it now.

Dave

Here is my checklist to see if something should be accessible on the open market...

1) Do police officers have it for individual use?

2) Do Soldiers have it for individual use?

If the answer is yes to either question, then it needs to be available to the public as well.  Nothing should be exclusive for LE/MIL use only and no police officer or Soldier should have a quantitative arms edge over the public with their individual kit.

• Like 4

That's not the point I'm trying to get across Mike. I get it just fine. The point I'm trying to get across is the thug busting through my back door doesn't need to have access to Body Armor. If you're a law biding citizen as you are, if you want it and can afford it...go for it. Make procedures that have to be followed to get it. Just anyone buying body armor off of ebay and through the mail is what needs banned.

Dave

I respect your opinion.   As well as your bravery to state it here on a conservative-constitutional based gun forum.

Don't you think the thug breaking through your door will have it anyway if he wants it?   He will still have that access.  What is the difference if he gets in on Ebay or somewhere else?  They find a way to get guns.

laws only affect the law abiding.

Have fun at the game!

• Like 2
Even our wisest, most intelligent leaders aren't qualified to judge the intended use of any product in the economy. I don't like giving our flawed gov't the power to limit any purchases, they just abuse the power and use it to get more power over us. They want to rule an unarmed society, so they can do whatever they want without fear of what our founding fathers did when they were fed up with oppression.
  • Like 2

I just have one question here, before I consider said Petition; what are us "law biding citizens" going to do "IF" body armor ISN'T banned, and punks, thugs and other less desirables start wearing body armor to do their home invasions, robberies and other thuggish acts with? Body armor going into the hands of everyone that wants it scares the hell out of me!

Dave

That's the same logic they use to try to ban guns. Criminals have a way of getting whatever they want if they really want it.

Here is my checklist to see if something should be accessible on the open market...

1) Do police officers have it for individual use?
2) Do Soldiers have it for individual use?

If the answer is yes to either question, then it needs to be available to the public as well. Nothing should be exclusive for LE/MIL use only and no police officer or Soldier should have a quantitative arms edge over the public with their individual kit.

My feelings exactly. In the state of Tennessee it is a crime to commit a crime wearing body armor but not illegal for someone to purchase and wear if they want. My problem with congress banning body armor is that themselves and of course their secret service will be exempt and that alone makes this unconstitutional.

Rudimentary body armor can be made with ceramic tiles and truck bed liner. Not to mention metal plates, anyone heard of ar500 armor? Edited by tennessee01tacoma
  • Like 1

Its already illegal for a felon to own body armor...

Its already an extra Class E Felony to commit a crime while wearing body armor...

I don't get why it would need to be banned... banning it would only make criminals out of otherwise law-abiding citizens and give no benefit at all, as the criminals that wanted it would still get it.  Its not like its a grenade or missile... and it doesn't make you impervious to gun shots... just less likely to die from them.

• Like 1

Its already illegal for a felon to own body armor...

Federally, only if felony was for a "crime of violence", and that excepted if used in employment. Not a crime under TN law apparently.

Its already an extra Class E Felony to commit a crime while wearing body armor...

Just some crimes under TN law. Dunno if a separate crime under federal law, never found anything about that?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

After thinking about this a bit more, I wouldn't stress about it.  If it is banned, products will just be marketed under something like "Heavy Duty Arctic Climate Impact Vest" Made of kevlar and plates... with a small disclaimer on the tag that says "this is not PBA"

That's not the point I'm trying to get across Mike. I get it just fine. The point I'm trying to get across is the thug busting through my back door doesn't need to have access to Body Armor. If you're a law biding citizen as you are, if you want it and can afford it...go for it. Make procedures that have to be followed to get it. Just anyone buying body armor off of ebay and through the mail is what needs banned.

Dave

Up to this point, body armor has been largely unregulated.  Has there been a widespread problem of bad guys wearing it?  Don't think so.  I'm sure it happens occasionally.

And besides, what's to stop them from getting it anyway?  Like they do guns and drugs.  So if this stupid law passes, now they will have it and I won't.  Just the same as a gun ban.  The bad guys and the gov't will have them and I won't (supposedly).

Honestly, I can't understand this thinking.

I really suppose you guys are right. I've thought about, and came to the conclusion that the only people banning things hurts is us citizens that will follow the dumb law anyways. You're right, the bad guy don't give a darn about the laws...I guess I'll change my SD way of thinking.

A blessed day to all

Dave

• Like 2
  • Moderators
[quote name="DaveS" post="1177578" timestamp="1407601725"]That's not the point I'm trying to get across Mike. I get it just fine. The point I'm trying to get across is the thug busting through my back door doesn't need to have access to Body Armor. If you're a law biding citizen as you are, if you want it and can afford it...go for it. Make procedures that have to be followed to get it. Just anyone buying body armor off of ebay and through the mail is what needs banned. Dave[/quote] I agree 100% with you. Why don't we just go a step further and ban criminals from owning guns? Then body armor or not, they'll be harmless? Or a home run move and make breaking and entering/home invasions illegal!
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
http://www.ar500armor.com/potential-body-armor-ban-h.r.-5344-take-action.html and https://www.facebook.com/AR500Armor started this petition:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr5344

Site report: https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr5344/report#nation

Be sure to oppose it. Some people, because the way it is titled by the Govt, mistakenly chose to support it but their comments reflect they actually oppose it.

Because it's called "The Responsible Body Armor Possession Act (H.R. 5344)" it sounds like it is more pro-body armor when it is anti.

It's just my opinion is all. I don't think body armor needs to be offered for sale to the general public. Maybe after going through a background check, yes. Buying the stuff in the gun department in Walmart or a gun shop no. Just my :2cents: !

Dave

Have you ever tried to buy body armor? On the civilian side you have to submit a photocopy of your DL, HCP, and sometimes a notarized copy of use. If you don't have all of that some (one place I'm aware of) will make you get a background check through your local sheriff. It's not something you can walk into Wally World and buy.

The only company I haven't seen do this are the companies that sell the AR500 plates. Anything else that's ceramic, Kevlar, Dyneema, whatever you have to submit proof and more proof. Edited by gjohnsoniv

Have you ever tried to buy body armor? On the civilian side you have to submit a photocopy of your DL, HCP, and sometimes a mnotarized copy of use. It's not something you can walk into Wally World and buy.

The only company I haven't seen do this are the companies that sell the AR500 plates. Anything else that's ceramic, Kevlar, Dyneema, whatever you have to submit proof and more proof.

When you think about it, that's silly.

Body armor can't harm anyone. It's not a gun. And if you're a criminal and can illegally get a gun as a felon, you could probably buy all that stuff stolen or whatever in the black market.

When you think about it, that's silly.

Body armor can't harm anyone. It's not a gun. And if you're a criminal and can illegally get a gun as a felon, you could probably buy all that stuff stolen or whatever in the black market.

I think we all agree. I would say it's not that it can hurt someone, I think it's that they're afraid of someone who can't be stopped as *easily* (that's marked for obvious reasons of argument and such). First thing that comes to mind with me would be the North Hollywood shootout with body armor playing a factor.

The banning of anything will never keep it out of the hands of those who want it.

It'll keep it out if the hands of us law abiding folks who don't want a criminal record. For those who don't care, like someone intent on wearing it to shoot innocent people, I don't suppose the legality of possessing body armor enters into their decision matrix, but it makes brainless liberals feel better.

I. Hate. Libtards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I just have one question here, before I consider said Petition; what are us "law biding citizens" going to do "IF" body armor ISN'T banned, and punks, thugs and other less desirables start wearing body armor to do their home invasions, robberies and other thuggish acts with? Body armor going into the hands of everyone that wants it scares the hell out of me!

Dave

Body armor is available now, how many thugs and other less desirables are wearing them?  Few if any.  The only time I remember bad guys wearing armor was the bank robbery in CA a few years back.

Why does a law abiding citizen having BA scare you?

TN already has a law that makes it a crime to wear body armor during certain crimes.  Nothing more needs to be done in my opinion.

CODE: 39-17-1323
TITLE: COMMISSION OF CERTAIN OFFENSES WHILE WEARING A 
BODY VEST
(a) A person commits an offense who knowingly wears a body vest, when acting either 
alone or with one (1) or more other persons, while committing: 
 (1) Any felony whose statutory elements involve the use or threat of violence to a 
human being; 
 (2) Any burglary, car-jacking, theft of a motor vehicle, or arson; or
 (3) Any felony offense involving a controlled substance.
(b) For purposes of this section, a “body vest” means a bullet-resistant soft armor 
providing, as a minimum standard, the level of protection known as threat level I which 
shall mean at least seven (7) layers of bullet-resistant material providing protection from 
three (3) shots of one hundred fifty-eight-grain lead ammunition fired from a .38 caliber 
handgun at a velocity of eight hundred fifty feet (A850) per second. 
(c) The unlawful wearing of a body vest is a Class E felony.
(d) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession of a body vest for lawful 
purposes. 
(e) Any sentence imposed under this section shall run consecutively to any other 
sentence imposed for the conviction of the underlying offense. 
[Acts 1997, ch. 321, § 1.] 
Edited by kckndrgn

Dave

Freedom has that effect on a lot of people. ;)

• Like 2

Have you ever tried to buy body armor? On the civilian side you have to submit a photocopy of your DL, HCP, and sometimes a notarized copy of use. If you don't have all of that some (one place I'm aware of) will make you get a background check through your local sheriff. It's not something you can walk into Wally World and buy.

The only company I haven't seen do this are the companies that sell the AR500 plates. Anything else that's ceramic, Kevlar, Dyneema, whatever you have to submit proof and more proof.

The surplus stores here ask for nothing unless paying with a credit card, then they ask for a picture ID.

Dave