Unloaded open carry

A defense to unlawful carry is "an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon"

Of course, in public, you'd probably get stopped and checked out a lot, at least for the long gun.

The obvious question is -- why?

- OS

• Like 2

A defense to unlawful carry is "an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon"

Of course, in public, you'd probably get stopped and checked out a lot, at least for the long gun.

The obvious question is -- why?

- OS

Halloween is coming up and I found my ghillie suit. I am dying of anticipation. And I been wanting to do a trial run to see if I am comfortable with open carry, but I was going to use an airsoft pistol instead.

So its two part. I would hate to get my 1911 nor any of my rifles confiscated. So better safe than sorry.

And google was no help.  

Dumb idea either way, especially if you plan to be in public.  Even with an airsoft, you are going to bring all kinds of unwanted attention to yourself.   I don't care what day of the year it is, if you look like you are in waiting for the Vietcong in some goofed up outfit and a gun visible (real or not), you will probably be on the wrong end of a bad result.

Really, this is a very bad idea.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 6

Dumb idea either way, especially if you plan to be in public.  Even with an airsoft, you are going to bring all kinds of unwanted attention to yourself.   I don't care what day of the year it is, if you look like you are in waiting for the Vietcong in some goofed up outfit and a gun visible (real or not), you will probably be on the wrong end of a bad result.

Totally agree. Really bad thing looking for a place to happen.

• Like 1

Totally agree. Really bad thing looking for a place to happen.

Yeah, after much deliberating, I have to agree. So I will scrap the halloween thing. 

But what about carrying an airsoft pistol in a normal holster? 

Still a bad idea.  This is a night with a bunch of young kids out and about.  Why would you even want to bring that kind of attention to yourself?    

My advice.  Dress up as whatever you want, but leave the gun, real or fake, at home.   Don't be that guy that thinks it cool or funny, it isn't.  All you will do is bring negative attention to the gun debate.  We have enough idiots working against us, don't be one of them.  If you had an hcp I would say conceal carry if you want to, but don't OC in that situation.  I am not against OC, but in this case, it makes no sense.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
Guest stinkfoot
The way I understand, carrying a pistol or long gun in public without the hcp is considered "going armed" in Tennessee. I have no citation to back that up so take the hearsay with a grain of salt.

And that is incorrect unless the firearm is loaded, or ammo is within reach.

I'd recommend reading TCA 39-17-1307 and 1308, it's very helpful in getting rid of bad hearsay you've heard ;)

The way I understand, carrying a pistol or long gun in public without the hcp is considered "going armed" in Tennessee. I have no citation to back that up so take the hearsay with a grain of salt.

Whatever happened to just wearing a sheet and going like a ghost? I bet they've got some good ideas for ghost costumes at Stormfront.

Edit: If you decide to go as a ghost I'll tell you where the best neighborhoods are to trick or treat. Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 2

+1

Glenn

I once worked at a customer site in a bad part of town. Their office was surrounded by blocks and blocks of run-down industrial inner-city area, so we generally avoided going out for lunch or dinner unless we had time to drive farther away. Customer asked everyone to dress up for Halloween party and I went as a soldier. Everything in my costume was real military except the pistol on my hip (unloaded in a military holster), and it was the civilian version of the real military pistol. I drove to work, got gas in the morning, drove out to pick up sodas for lunch, drove home, and stopped for groceries wearing this costume. Nobody said a word or paid any attention to me whatever, I think because everyone assumed I was just dressed for Halloween and thus they would have assumed the pistol to be a costume prop. I wasn't worried about it at the time as I had a permit back then, and it was legal to open carry an unloaded gun anyway, but I wouldn't do it again after thinking more about it. If anything bad had happened then the unloaded gun wouldn't have done me any good, and it could have easily caused a bunch of trouble if some criminal thought it was real and shot me first to eliminate the threat and/or steal the pistol. Or a panicky liberal civilian could have phoned the police about a guy with a gun. Lots of ways for it to go bad, just wasn't a smart thing to do. If I ever did it again I'd go in costume without any visible weapon at all, but with a real loaded gun fully concealed on my person, just as in real life. Once arriving at the party I could add an unloaded gun or costume prop if desired and remove it before leaving, but would generally advise against carrying a real gun for costume purposes, as we are supposed to treat every gun as if it's loaded, so I'd use a prop or maybe deactivate the gun in some way to make it obviously safe.

First off, why aren't you comfortable with open carry? Just try it, you'll be surprised when no one even notices...

I honestly do not know why. Must be all the bad stigma somehow seeping into me. I have to issues carrying one when I walk my dog (had some coyotes in the area), but in a public place such as a grocery store I cant see myself being comfortable. May just have to get used to it and eventually let my uneasiness go away. Just like heights!

Yeah. You guys are have sound points. I will refrain from my planned halloween shenanigans. 

I once worked at a customer site in a bad part of town. Their office was surrounded by blocks and blocks of run-down industrial inner-city area, so we generally avoided going out for lunch or dinner unless we had time to drive farther away. Customer asked everyone to dress up for Halloween party and I went as a soldier. Everything in my costume was real military except the pistol on my hip (unloaded in a military holster), and it was the civilian version of the real military pistol. I drove to work, got gas in the morning, drove out to pick up sodas for lunch, drove home, and stopped for groceries wearing this costume. Nobody said a word or paid any attention to me whatever, I think because everyone assumed I was just dressed for Halloween and thus they would have assumed the pistol to be a costume prop. I wasn't worried about it at the time as I had a permit back then, and it was legal to open carry an unloaded gun anyway, but I wouldn't do it again after thinking more about it. If anything bad had happened then the unloaded gun wouldn't have done me any good, and it could have easily caused a bunch of trouble if some criminal thought it was real and shot me first to eliminate the threat and/or steal the pistol. Or a panicky liberal civilian could have phoned the police about a guy with a gun. Lots of ways for it to go bad, just wasn't a smart thing to do. If I ever did it again I'd go in costume without any visible weapon at all, but with a real loaded gun fully concealed on my person, just as in real life. Once arriving at the party I could add an unloaded gun or costume prop if desired and remove it before leaving, but would generally advise against carrying a real gun for costume purposes, as we are supposed to treat every gun as if it's loaded, so I'd use a prop or maybe deactivate the gun in some way to make it obviously safe.

They might have assumed you were a soldier (unless your costume was outrageously obvious). They tend to be a class of people that most are comfortable with having guns (though the military itself seems to disarm them as a matter of policy).

Yes I did miss it. But I was not planning on doing what he was planning. Last year I was watching my brother while he went out. And for fun I decided to dress up with a trench coat and so did he. We both had airsolf guns and I left the real ones at home. Not one second glance.