Friend Robbed In Memphis Sunday Night

soapy

I love Memphis threads. I agree that this could happen anywhere. But statistically, you're much more likely to get robbed in Memphis than almost every other city in the US. I understand that you all may be proud of your hometown and enjoy living there but you can't ignore the stats. 

• Authorized Vendor

Memphis, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Chattanooga, who gives a hoot.  Been there, lived there.  Just trying to pass along something interesting. Which you may notice I don't do alot, because folks round here, they be a bit sensitive.   

Ain't that the truth. :lol:

Naw, he don't carry a gun.  He asked me one day?  Do you carry a gun? I said  Carry a gun?  Who carries just one gun?  

I'm with you, if his girl had been with him, they would have had a purse with a gun also. She's not that bright.  I mean, she gave me some once, and then took me out to eat. When we got to the restaurant and started to get out of the car, she looked at me and said, "have you got your gun?"  I said, " I'm awake ain't I?"  She said,  " Well put it under the seat."  I said, "take me home." I mean  it was good, but it wasn't that good.  Thats why I passed her on to my friend.  I'm good to people like that.

Edited by soapy

She's the one that called me and told me what happened. N the first thing I said was,  have him call his cell provider and track that phone.  She said,  how am I going to that dumbass, they stole it.   I didn't even bother to ask her how he called her.  I'm surprised she even called me, cause she's  mad I'm a smart ass.   She was sitting outside her home in the shade one day this summer, with the garage door open, gun in the house, and the police tackled this thief  that was runnin from the law, in the yard right behind her house.  Now this ole gal is loaded. She's got a Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, and this ole truck she screwed me out of sittin in the drive.  She calls me all excited, telling me what happened.  I said, "Did you have your gun?  OF course not, cause she's stupid.  so I said,  " Well, good thing they caught him before he turned the corner and saw you, or he would have stuck a gun in your ear and said,  " WHICH ONE OF THESE MF's RUN?" and you would have been without a good truck." She said, 'F you Soapy", and hadn't talked to me until yesterday. Since then I've learned not to pi** a woman off like that, cause some of em will call your dam wife. They can be some Vengeful creatures.

Edited by soapy

-I'm sorry to hear about your friend's experience.  After being really unlucky,... he's incredibly lucky to get out of it without getting hurt.

http://lawstreetmedia.com/blogs/crime/10-dangerous-large/

2012 data.... but check out the report of the gallup poll on citizens of Memphis... and how many feel safe or unsafe.  There are great things about Memphis, but its specter as an incredibly dangerous city is not something that can be wished away.

In National data, Memphis is always in the top 5 most "violent" cities.   In Nashville, we seem to be just getting started... hovering around "12th" lately - helping to vaunt Tennessee into the top echelon of states with the highest rates of violent crime.

One key difference in overall "safety" between the two cities is that Nashville's high-crime areas are more localized in certain neighborhoods while Memphis' high crime areas are more generalized. It reminds me of some east coast cities like Baltimore where you can go from uber-rich to gutter-trash-poor in about a block. That means that in Nashville, I feel "safe" in most areas I go. I recognize bad things still happen in Brentwood, Green Hills, West End, etc. but they're not common. Much of Memphis feels like East Nashville to me. Even when it's good, it's close to bad and my spidey senses are up.

So , had he had a gun , he could not have shot at them leaving in his car ... right ?

Not legally no.  Deadly force is only permitted when defending life, not property.  If the BG's are stealing your car and leaving you alone, you're obliged to let them.

That said... this happened inside a gated parking lot?  Do they have cameras?

• Like 1

Having worked quite a bit in East Nashville, I'm far from an "outsider", but I am hot/cold about it.  I have many, many friends who live there and love it; I just couldn't see moving my family there.   ??   Most likely because I genuinely love our large field, tall, old trees, and creek.  I suppose there are those who live outside of town who would say the same about my neighborhood - which is far from perfect.

Memphis - grew up going there to Christmas shop and see relatives,... and Mud Island.   :cool:    oh, and all of the toy train/hobby stores along all 165 miles of Winchester.

Besides that... Memphis did transition us to Rock and Roll.... and STAX... Are you kidding!!!    (remember in the movie "Sandlot", when the kids are biking onto the ball field - that wonderful organ groove playing?  yep.  STAX records - "Green Onions" by Booker T. and the MGs

Whatever it is now, Memphis has a deadly serious legacy in the music world. 

Pretty generous to Memphis to compare it with East Nashville. I'm sure they appreciate that. On the other hand, the fear outsiders have of East Nashville will hopefully keep them away since our streets are jammed with looky lou's all weekend long. Can't complain about the property values though!

Yeah, I know parts are regentrified and "nice", but I can't help but think that the projects are just a couple of blocks away whenever I'm there, especially along and south of Shelby St.

She's the one that called me and told me what happened. N the first thing I said was,  have him call his cell provider and track that phone.  She said,  how am I going to that dumbass, they stole it.   I didn't even bother to ask her how he called her.  I'm surprised she even called me, cause she's  mad I'm a smart ass.   She was sitting outside her home in the shade one day this summer, with the garage door open, gun in the house, and the police tackled this thief  that was runnin from the law, in the yard right behind her house.  Now this ole gal is loaded. She's got a Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, and this ole truck she screwed me out of sittin in the drive.  She calls me all excited, telling me what happened.  I said, "Did you have your gun?  OF course not, cause she's stupid.  so I said,  " Well, good thing they caught him before he turned the corner and saw you, or he would have stuck a gun in your ear and said,  " WHICH ONE OF THESE MF's RUN?" and you would have been without a good truck." She said, 'F you Soapy", and hadn't talked to me until yesterday. Since then I've learned not to pi** a woman off like that, cause some of em will call your dam wife. They can be some Vengeful creatures.

"They can be some Vengeful creatures!!!!!" You just now learning that. Heck I learned that back with my first real girlfriend at age 15............ :ugh: :ugh:

Now first off I want to apologize for demonizing Memphis. That was wrong of me. LINKS said something that got me thinking which these days seldom happens but he mentioned my living in Utopia and I have been dwelling on that and in all honesty, Except for the Crime families in the big cities Like New York, Chicago. Miami, Las Vegas and maybe Phillie later on most all of use that did not live with in the inner cities did live in kind of a Utopia. I mean you look back and Memphis didn't have the crime it has now. Neither did Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta or any other city. If you lived in the suburbs of any large city you were living in Utopia then. The Utopia is really gone all across our great country if you really look at it. There is about as much crime in the Burbs as there is in the city now days. I guess that is why regardless of where you live or work or even play these days, you better have your two guns on you. Your primary and your back up depending on where you plan on going......................jmho and.......... :2cents:   

• Like 1

Now first off I want to apologize for demonizing Memphis. That was wrong of me. LINKS said something that got me thinking which these days seldom happens but he mentioned my living in Utopia and I have been dwelling on that and in all honesty, Except for the Crime families in the big cities Like New York, Chicago. Miami, Las Vegas and maybe Phillie later on most all of use that did not live with in the inner cities did live in kind of a Utopia. I mean you look back and Memphis didn't have the crime it has now. Neither did Knoxville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta or any other city. If you lived in the suburbs of any large city you were living in Utopia then. The Utopia is really gone all across our great country if you really look at it. There is about as much crime in the Burbs as there is in the city now days. I guess that is why regardless of where you live or work or even play these days, you better have your two guns on you. Your primary and your back up depending on where you plan on going......................jmho and.......... :2cents:

No apology necessary bursaguy. Memphis crime is out hand, but most locals know that the victims almost always know the perpetrator. There are exceptions like the incident with the OPs buddy and they usually occur in apartment complexes or malls. I get irritated because some of the very kids who like to crap on Memphis live in smaller cities hunkered down in bunkers that would put some armories to shame. What are they afraid of? Obviously crime is everywhere and if you live in or around large cities there will be higher concentrations of crime, especially if that city has a large population of people who are poor and/or uneducated.

I'm glad that the utopia comment made you think. Because as much as Memphis may scare a lot of our members, it appears by the number of weapons that they own, they are equally afraid of something in their own communities.
  • Like 4

No apology necessary bursaguy. Memphis crime is out hand, but most locals know that the victims almost always know the perpetrator. There are exceptions like the incident with the OPs buddy and they usually occur in apartment complexes or malls. I get irritated because some of the very kids who like to crap on Memphis live in smaller cities hunkered down in bunkers that would put some armories to shame. What are they afraid of? Obviously crime is everywhere and if you live in or around large cities there will be higher concentrations of crime, especially if that city has a large population of people who are poor and/or uneducated.

I'm glad that the utopia comment made you think. Because as much as Memphis may scare a lot of our members, it appears by the number of weapons that they own, they are equally afraid of something in their own communities.

Well, Thanks but I was wrong and wanted to clear that up. I did live in a Utopia here for the last 15 years but even here 45 miles out of Nashville and it is beginning to not be far enough. Also I think what made me feel about Memphis was I watch that program 48 Hours which is actual crime scene investigations in it and Memphis seems to be one of the towns of choice for the most homicides and 99% of the time it is black brother on another black brother or whole families being killed. I got to where I quit watching it. Dallas and Detroit were a couple more towns they used a lot................ :up:  :up:  

What part of town did that happen?  If it was in say Germantown or Collierville, I would be surprised because that kind of crime is rare in those two towns.  If it happened close to downtown at 11 PM, unfortunately that does happen in that area.

The problems that the Memphis area has are not unique to just this area.  I've seen the same thing in other big cities in this part of the country.  New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas have their share of crime too.

She's the one that called me and told me what happened. N the first thing I said was, have him call his cell provider and track that phone. She said, how am I going to that dumbass, they stole it. I didn't even bother to ask her how he called her. I'm surprised she even called me, cause she's mad I'm a smart ass. She was sitting outside her home in the shade one day this summer, with the garage door open, gun in the house, and the police tackled this thief that was runnin from the law, in the yard right behind her house. Now this ole gal is loaded. She's got a Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, and this ole truck she screwed me out of sittin in the drive. She calls me all excited, telling me what happened. I said, "Did you have your gun? OF course not, cause she's stupid. so I said, " Well, good thing they caught him before he turned the corner and saw you, or he would have stuck a gun in your ear and said, " WHICH ONE OF THESE MF's RUN?" and you would have been without a good truck." She said, 'F you Soapy", and hadn't talked to me until yesterday. Since then I've learned not to pi** a woman off like that, cause some of em will call your dam wife. They can be some Vengeful creatures.

Now we're getting somewhere. Your story about your experiences and "relationship" with your buddies girlfriend is much more entertaining to me than the OP about some rube from middle Tennessee getting robbed in Memphis. I can get that any night at 6 o'clock on the local news.. 😳. Just kidding. She sounds like a lovely woman....
  • Like 2

What part of town did that happen?  If it was in say Germantown or Collierville, I would be surprised because that kind of crime is rare in those two towns.  If it happened close to downtown at 11 PM, unfortunately that does happen in that area.

The problems that the Memphis area has are not unique to just this area.  I've seen the same thing in other big cities in this part of the country.  New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas have their share of crime too.

I'm curious about this as well.  There are very very few apartment complexes inside the city that I would consider a safe area.   

Well, Thanks but I was wrong and wanted to clear that up. I did live in a Utopia here for the last 15 years but even here 45 miles out of Nashville and it is beginning to not be far enough. Also I think what made me feel about Memphis was I watch that program 48 Hours which is actual crime scene investigations in it and Memphis seems to be one of the towns of choice for the most homicides and 99% of the time it is black brother on another black brother or whole families being killed. I got to where I quit watching it. Dallas and Detroit were a couple more towns they used a lot................ :up:  :up:  

48 Hours filmed a lot in Memphis because Memphis has one of the highest solve rates in the country.  Be it our "excellent detectives" or our incredibly stupid criminals, most of them get caught.  However, your impressions are why the city government kicked them out.  They felt that people were starting to look at Memphis negatively and told the show to get packing.  

As terrible as Memphis is to all the people that hate it from afar or have moved away, I've been here for 31 years and haven't had an issue.   My dad lived his entire life here, dating back to 1955 and never had an issue.  We lived in a poor part of town that many would consider a high crime area.  And yet we were never robbed, broken into or murdered. 

As has been mentioned before, much of Memphis' violent crime is between people that know each other.  Outside of work, I don't associate with criminals.  And its working out swimmingly for me thus far.  

• Like 3

I'm curious about this as well.  There are very very few apartment complexes inside the city that I would consider a safe area.   

48 Hours filmed a lot in Memphis because Memphis has one of the highest solve rates in the country.  Be it our "excellent detectives" or our incredibly stupid criminals, most of them get caught.  However, your impressions are why the city government kicked them out.  They felt that people were starting to look at Memphis negatively and told the show to get packing.  

As terrible as Memphis is to all the people that hate it from afar or have moved away, I've been here for 31 years and haven't had an issue.   My dad lived his entire life here, dating back to 1955 and never had an issue.  We lived in a poor part of town that many would consider a high crime area.  And yet we were never robbed, broken into or murdered. 
As has been mentioned before, much of Memphis' violent crime is between people that know each other.  Outside of work, I don't associate with criminals.  And its working out swimmingly for me thus far.

Funny how that works out, but it seems some folks always need something to worry about.
  • Like 1