So I am starting to get pissed

Let me start by saying I do not believe I am entitled to anything. I also recognize the fact there are some people way worse, as far as disabilities go, than me.

So what upsets me is those people who think that space with the blue and white wheelchair sign means it is for THEIR quick trip into the store. Now unless I am having a really bad day I have my wife park in a regular spot so those worse than me can use the handicapped spot. But when I am having a bad day, when every step I can avoid matters, I need to park close or just stay in the truck if can't. And honestly I would gladly walk the extra distance if I could without having issues.

At one point I would ask and EVERY time I have asked if they have a placard, as I stand there with my crutches, they act like I am the jerk and even cuss me out. Because of that I have quit even asking because the entitlement crowd apparently thinks they are entitled to the space I need from time to time.

I wish there was something I could do to the jerks. I was told if I parked behind them and block them in I could get in trouble. Not to mention the person would probably loose their mind. I just wish people would understand that to some of us that extra 50' makes a difference, especially those with breathing problems. Fortunately I do not have breathing problems but some do and have to stop constantly to catch their breath.

Thanks for letting me vent.
  • Like 7

What bugs me is people who are not disabled using a placard. I have an older lady neighbor who gets up at six every morning to walk six miles for her exercise. When she goes to the grocery store, she  always pulls out the placard and parks in a handicapped spot. Another older lady uses her deceased aunt's expired placard and always parks in a handicap spot. Then I see some trully handicapped person park a van on the far end of the parking lot to unload their wheelchair. Who said life was fair.

Please don't think I'm arguing against handicap parking spots.

Although I'm not as observant of them as I likely would be were I handicapped, I've yet to see a public parking lot without a vacant handicap parking spot. I have seen many instances of parking lots with every available spot filled, except the dozens of empty handicap marked spaces.

Where are you finding this to be a problem?

I would never use a handicap spot unless someday it is necessary. I try to park just as far away as I can from the other vehicles to avoid door dings.

I do find that regularly, when I do this, I'll come back to my vehicle to find some jerk parked 3" from me, with dozens of empty spaces in every direction surrounding my vehicle. I don't know what makes people do this.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

Please don't think I'm arguing against handicap parking spots.

Although I'm not as observant of them as I likely would be were I handicapped, I've yet to see a public parking lot without a vacant handicap parking spot. I have seen many instances of parking lots with every available spot filled, except the dozens of empty handicap marked spaces.

Where are you finding this to be a problem?

I would never use a handicap spot unless someday it is necessary. I try to park just as far away as I can from the other vehicles to avoid door dings.

I do find that regularly, when I do this, I'll come back to my vehicle to find some jerk parked 3" from me, with dozens of empty spaces in every direction surrounding my vehicle. I don't know what makes people do this.

I find Lowes to be the worst at this. They must have about 20 handicapped parking places at the Athens store. Most of the time at least two thirds of them are empty.

I bought a new Corvette once. I could park it at the far end of the Walmart lot at least 10 spaces from the nearest car and when I came back out there would always be a trap on each side of it. Everytime I get a new vehicle it seems like some old lady in a thousand dollar cars pulls in right next to it and tries to see how hard she can kick her door open.

Edited by Eray
  • Like 4

I sometimes do this when I feel like stirring the pot, but only if I see that someone feels entitled to taking up two parking spots.

I sometimes do this when I feel like stirring the pot, but only if I see that someone feels entitled to taking up two parking spots.

I don't drive impressive vehicles, I simply try to take care of them. I never take two parking spaces unless I'm pulling a trailer.

I see this happen a lot to now that my dad has an implant in his spine. The things you don't notice until it affects you or someone you know....

That's why I asked where there were a shortage of handicap spots. I'm sure it's something that I've just failed to notice since I'm fortunate enough to not need one.

I saw cops park in handicap parking back in Ms. There are few things that make me madder than able bodied people parking in handicap parking. I have been on crutches and it ain't funny trying to get from 1 end of wally world to the other, I was too proud to use the motorized shopping carts.

• Like 1

Someone a lot smarter than me can answer this.  For handicap parking on private property, like Lowes, does LEO have to have the support of the owner before writing tickets?  Does Lowes have to give the green light?  Or since this is "public" parking, LEO can issue tickets at will.  Just curious? 

Reason for the question, I could imagine the bad publicity if someone received a fine for parking in the handicap spot and actually was qualified to park there.

Someone a lot smarter than me can answer this.  For handicap parking on private property, like Lowes, does LEO have to have the support of the owner before writing tickets?  Does Lowes have to give the green light?  Or since this is "public" parking, LEO can issue tickets at will.  Just curious? 

Reason for the question, I could imagine the bad publicity if someone received a fine for parking in the handicap spot and actually was qualified to park there.

It is an "open to the public" type area and falls under ADA requirements. Lowes, as the example, are required to have a certain amount of handicapped spots based on how many total spots they have. Lowe's has no choice in the matter of whether or not tickets are written.
  • Like 1

I saw cops park in handicap parking back in Ms

Now that doesn't surprise me.

We have one handicap space at our office, and my boss parks in it. In all the years we've been there, I've never seen a handicap person there. To be honest, it wouldn't be the best space for that anyway. There's always one open right at the front door.

That's why I asked where there were a shortage of handicap spots. I'm sure it's something that I've just failed to notice since I'm fortunate enough to not need one.

Plenty of places in Clarksville, Nashville and their surrounding areas, especially since it has been the holidays. Noticed the same thing going up and coming back from WV. Restaurants, grocery stores, Wal*Mart, etc. Plenty of places, especially during peak hours.

Plenty of places in Clarksville, Nashville and their surrounding areas, especially since it has been the holidays. Noticed the same thing going up and coming back from WV. Restaurants, grocery stores, Wal*Mart, etc. Plenty of places, especially during peak hours.

I try desperately to avoid busy places. That probably explains why I've not seen this in person.

That's a good question.  I know with traffic accidents it considered no fault.  But the law is pretty specific, you must have a HC plate or placard displayed.  But if they are fraudulently using one or the other I am not sure how they can tell.

Let me start by saying I do not believe I am entitled to anything. I also recognize the fact there are some people way worse, as far as disabilities go, than me.

So what upsets me is those people who think that space with the blue and white wheelchair sign means it is for THEIR quick trip into the store. Now unless I am having a really bad day I have my wife park in a regular spot so those worse than me can use the handicapped spot. But when I am having a bad day, when every step I can avoid matters, I need to park close or just stay in the truck if can't. And honestly I would gladly walk the extra distance if I could without having issues.

At one point I would ask and EVERY time I have asked if they have a placard, as I stand there with my crutches, they act like I am the jerk and even cuss me out. Because of that I have quit even asking because the entitlement crowd apparently thinks they are entitled to the space I need from time to time.

I wish there was something I could do to the jerks. I was told if I parked behind them and block them in I could get in trouble. Not to mention the person would probably loose their mind. I just wish people would understand that to some of us that extra 50' makes a difference, especially those with breathing problems. Fortunately I do not have breathing problems but some do and have to stop constantly to catch their breath.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I would park in front of the store in that area that says "no parking"  When an employee comes out and says "you can't park there" say "fine, call the cops.  I'll move when they have one of these cars towed that shouldn't be in the handicap spot." 

Dolomite_supafly, you would like what my dad did once.

He saw some previous neighbors (that we had a land dispute with) parked in a handicap parking space with out the required sticker.

I don't know exactly how he pulled it off, but he saw an officer about to write them up a warning.  He stepped over, I guess pretended to be the owner and tried to talk the officer into not writing it up, just saying things like you don't really want to write that up do you..  Anyway when it was all said and done they had a ticket and dad walked off thinking he caused it to go from warning to ticket.  He still laughs about it.

• Like 2

Where I work, private property, they have told us that there is an agreement with the City Police that they can ticket any one parked in the handicap spaces that don't have the handicap parking requirements on their vehicle. 

I know exactly were your coming about dolo. I am legally handicapped and they offered me a placard and I requested a permanent license for my Jeep Cherokee and handed the the doctors letter and got my license plate. With that said I have the same issue as you do when it comes to parking at Krogers 99 times out of 100, all the HC spaces are full. One day when my legs were no bothering me to much I actually walked through every space and looked to see if the vehicle had an HC plaque or an HC license plate on the vehicle of the 30 HC places Kroger has to vehicles has plates and all the rest had plaques hanging from mirror or just laying on the dash.

I have several friends that have the plaques because they will carry their elderly parent or handicap member of family with them. I found one parked in a handicap space and watched as she approached her vehicle and she was by herself. The handicap person in her family was not with her. I asked her why she parked in that space when her mother was not with her? She began babbling some excuses and got in her car and left. Her husband called me that evening about my concern and I told him. Needless to say it was not a close friendship and it is no friendship now. It ended with him telling me to mind my own business.

I thought I was considering I am legally handicapped and his wife is not. I waited till I got my chance and I saw him park in a handicapped space in his truck and put a plaque on his mirror and made my move. I called Gallatin P.D. and they sent out a motorcycle officer to see me. I told him why I called him and he said I understand your concern and we will see if he is legal. About 15 minutes later I was out of sight when he came out. The officer approached him and ask him for his ID DL. He then ask him if he was handicapped and he said no, but his mother in law is. The officer ask him if she was still in the store and he said no, she was not with him. The fine signs in Kroger Parking lots are $250.00. I sat and watched him sign his big fat ticket. I know he was looking to see if I was watching. I was not in my Jeep but I was there.

I then went in along with the officer to speak with the kroger Manager as the officer told the manager that they had been receiving a few complaints so for the next few days he would be patrolling their lot and probably writing some tickets and the Manager thanked him because he knew there was issues and he wanted to do something about it.

The use of the plaques by relatives that are not handicapped with out that person in the vehicle is an automatic ticket if caught. I got a chance to speak with that officer about a month later and he said he wrote 67 tickets in 5 days for the same violations and was making plans for another 5 days soon.  I am not having as much trouble locating a handicap parking place there any more.

Yea, I'm the guy your friends warned you about............................... :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 8

I'm not handicapped, hence i don't feel the need to park where those who need a closer parking place. after all, I'd rather walk a bit more, get some exercise and be away from the idiot parkers in general.

Now, what truely bugs me is the people who are either too lazy or to fat to walk, they feel the need to use the store provided electric scooters that are really meant for the truely handicapped.

There have been times in the past where i have seen perfectly healthy people get out of their "Handicap labeled" vehicle after parking in a space reserved for the ones who really need it, I have been tempted to ask if they were really handicapped and if the answer is "No" I'd like to tell them, well you're about to become handicapped if you don't move your vehicle and let those who really are handicapped have their space.

I wouldn't act on it, but have envisioned it in my mind.

Edited by Wyldk2
  • Like 1