Bread and milk...

Steelharp

Call me crazy but isn't going to get milk and bread, and usually eggs too from when most sane people had all the non perishable supplies they would need for a storm like this put away, but having extra milk and bread and eggs goes bad pretty quick so you can't really keep them out away for emergencies. Therefore, that is why you go get the perishable essentials right before the storm.
  • Like 1

I didn't need many supplies for the storm, enough spiced rum, bourbon, and whisky to last at least a month if not two and plenty of food. I did get some bar oil for the chainsaw just in case the ice brought down the tree threatening my driveway.

Neighbor thought I was crazy putting chains on my car yesterday about 4pm. 6:30am rolled around this morning and I was out of the driveway first try inside 5 min. from walking out the front door while he was still trying to get his truck's door open. (I put a small ceramic heater inside my car on a timer set for 5am) I was at the hospital by 7am, and the car's all plugged up in the garage ready for the return trip this evening if I ever get off.  :cool:

• Like 2
Power hasn't gone out here, heat runs on natural gas anyway. Leaves me longing for the days when we had a fireplace in our house when I was growing up. The next house will have one.
Back to today, got plenty of Captain Morgan, and a jar of shine in the fridge if I run out (or maybe after this glass). Payday is Friday so I'll stock back up on beer and booze. Have plenty of food in the house for the next week, could make it for two if we rationed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used to feed the babies milk and we didn't have near the "selection" we have now, - bread was a fresh, daily staple, so if you couldn't get to the store, you were without a staple. .... at least where I came from, that was why "bread and milk".

Of course, today, in our household, we don't drink milk and we are a gluten-free house (celiac).  .... no bread or milk for us. 

I'm ridin' it out with a rather large batch of venison stew that I made last night, accompanied with various single-malts and a couple of quarts of 'shine courtesy of my brother's "hobby" still... when that runs low, I've still got a well stocked "beer cellar" in reserve.

What's "milk and bread"?? Don't these people know that stuff can kill ya?

Edited by tartanphantom

Forget the bread and milk. I've got hoppin John and shine.

Huh... See what happens when you read threads all the way through? Never heard of hoppin John. My mom hated black eyed peas so we never had them.

Looks like I will be making some to try this weekend. Kind of in the mood for Jambalaya as well...

Mark
  • Like 1

I dont know, milk and bread while not required for survival are an essential start of many a meal.  Kids with their cereal, pancakes,  french toast, sandwiches,  and grill cheese.  Feeding the kids and most of the adults here is easy as long as we have a gallon of whole milk and at least one whole loaf of bread. If push comes to shove of course we can go awhile with out, but its not that king of storm.

I always laugh at the milk and bread deal but dang I called to check on my aunt today and she said she was fine but she was out of milk haha

I bought 2 gallons Sunday morning. My kids drink more milk than calves. My wife usually shops once a pay period so basically every 2 weeks-she buys 7 gallons at a time. She was sick last week so she didn't get to do the full shopping trip so we ran out and I had to grab a couple after my trash run. some of it I think stems from my wife and her siblings not being allowed to drink milk when they were kids bc her mom didn't want to buy it bc it was expensive. Rather buy pills I reckon. Either way ours kids drink all they want and we needs a dadgum milk cow. Edited by JWC
  • Like 1