M855/SS109 5.56 Ban!!! AKA Green Tip

http://youtu.be/6PaIIChRMBw

I've copied the sample letter below that  they posted with their video and I'm not sure if their letter is the best approach to take.  What do you think?

It seems to me that the BAFTE's response would be something to the effect of, "thanks for reminding us that the M193 ammo will defeat the armor as well.    We'll be sure to add it to the list."    I know they would have a harder time trying to regulate that ammo since it doesn't meet the normal AP description but it seems to be just their next step if they are able to do this to the M855 ammo.  

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to voice my strong opposition to the proposed change to current law that would make it illegal to manufacture, import or sell on the open market M855 / SS109 ammunition.

The claimed purpose of this change is to “protect the lives and safety of law enforcement officers from the threat posed by ammunition capable of penetrating a protective vest when fired from a handgun”.

As the Technical Branch well knows, all rifle ammunition of a common caliber such as .223 / 5.56 is capable of penetrating threat level IIA and IIIA body armor regardless of the firearm that is used to fire it. M855 / SS109 is no more of a threat to law enforcement than M193 or Horandy VMAX loads are.

It’s also worth noting that rifle caliber pistols are rarely used in violent crime, their usage is a statistical zero for all practical purposes, which further begs the question as to why this proposed rule change is being considered.

Banning the availability of affordable surplus ammunition under the false pretense that it’s in the name of officer safety is a clear violation of our 2nd Amendment rights.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

FULL NAME
CITY / STATE

• Like 3

And as usual the gun community is going to sit around and bitch about it without even sending a single email or making a single phone call. Just think of how bad it will be is all you can get is the super expensive commercial ammunition.

Well, some may sit on their hands, but I sent my e-mails to ATF and my elected federal reps, of course I think maybe it was all wasted, but I did my best to affect what I could.

• Like 2

But if every person who bought ammunition did the same thing the ATF would announce by the end of the week they are dropping it.

I'm not convinced that they would drop it. There's a reason why it was brought up after all this time and that's because the Pres is pushing for it as part of his agenda.
Holder and Obama are trying to limit every possible avenue of our rights that they can. If they can't ban guns, they'll go after ammo. Start with 855 and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by Tedro2022
  • Like 1

These goobermint agencies evidently have all the power they need, because they are constantly changing the rules or making new ones. Until we the people set them straight and take back our government this country is going to look like the UK and Australia. The EPA bans lead, BATF bans this bullet, then this gun, then this and it never ends. The anti-gun, or control establishment is bound and determined to tell you where to go and when to go and how to go. They figured a long time ago that taking the guns would be ugly, but banning every bullet 1 at a time and eventually it is done. Kind of like eating an Elephant, 1 bite at a time.

This is a big issue.  I would expect to see a big fight from those who claim to support and fight for gun rights in Congress, in the lobbying sphere, and from the community.  Restricting ammo is just workaround to restricting guns.  It goes back to my principle of, if a police officer or Soldier have it available, so should the citizen.

A couple points on all this, some of which are echoes, but need to be restated...

1) Should we move this thread to a more visible area?  I only noticed it myself last night before bed.  Since I don't do my own reloading and shoot the same basic ammo, I don't have much use for this area.  Getting it into General Chat, or 2nd Amendment Issues would give it more visibility.

2)  Email your member of Congress.  Sending snail mail will take 6-8 weeks to hit their offices with the screenings for anthrax and whatever other testing they subject letters to at the capital, so it is less effective.  I plan to have my emails drafted and sent by the end of the day to both Senators and my Congressman.

3)  Also email whatever pro gun groups you are a member of.  Something like this is why they exist, in theory.  If they are like the NRA, let them know you are watching their actions on this, and expect them to leverage whatever political capital they have to draft and pass legislation to prevent BAFTE from doing this.  The ILA flexed their muscles when the expanded background check bill was coming up for a vote; I think the banning of ammo is far worse for gun owners.  For my part, I'm going to ask the 2nd Amendment Foundation if their legal team believes they could bring a lawsuit should this come to pass.

• Like 1
Emailed all my "representatives."

Emailed BATFE bureaucracy also.

I'll be honest I'll probably write actual letters too because I figure someone will have to physically put them in the trash, unopened and unread. With that at least someone in govt will have to take physical action. Even if it's the employed illegal immigrant that takes out the trash.
  • Like 1

Well now,  13 days after the initial release of the proposed ban it's just starting to make national news.  Will this make a difference, get more of us to take action against the proposed ban ? I don't know and I'm not sure it will.  I've been following the responses on many shooting related forums and the response to the BATFE 's proposal has been deafeningly silent.  :shrug: 

• Like 1

Give it up guys. The ATF is the puppet of the government. They do what they're told. If you recall the Clinton years, ATF did what they were told. We have a new world order that Uncle Sam is shoving down our throats, and we can't do a thing about it. The UN has disarmed the rest of the civilians of the rest of the world, and we're next. Little by little we'll be throwing rocks like the rest of the civilians of the rest of the world.

How do I know this? It's second and third hand information. But I believe it. Will we ever have first hand information about this? I doubt it.

• You have the right to keep and bare arms. That doesn't mean you can have ammunition. That doesn't mean you can afford to buy that arm or ammo. Not only do you pay state tax on guns and all other firearm related items, but you an excise tax to the state, ATF, and the state department. Is that tax regulated? Not that I know of. So today you .10 to the state, X% to ATF, and X% to the state department. What will it be tomorrow? Fewer people are able to buy a gun today and $ 8 box of ammo is now $15-$20. Are these price hikes just inflation?
  • When was the last time you got to buy some of that great pull down powder for reloading? Who made up the rule that those that bought surplus couldn't use the ammo for it's intended purpose of break it down for components? I, personally, miss that $ 6/# powder that I had so much fun shooting. What?? the terrorists make bombs out of the stuff. I'm not a terrorist. How come I've got to pay the bill?  Or those surplus bullets that did so well plinking with. "SSDD"
  • I don't know about you but I really miss those $65  AK's and SKS rifles. I remember walking out of the gun show with one or the other that were in unfired condition and a $99 case of ammo and headed for the rifle range. The empty cases were 6" deep in front of the firing line, and a lot of guys got to go home with a grin on their faces. Guys that today can't afford that same rifle.
  • Who decided that we couldn't import a certain rifle unless it had X% of the parts that were American made? ATF, or was it the UN?

OK, I got a lot off my chest. I did this before but erased it. My paranoia got the best of me. Am I really paranoid? Yep! But I take this little pill every morning and the list of those that are out to get me gets smaller and smaller. The other week was an exceptional one. I became monanoid. There was only one person that was out to get me. But everyone else knew who it was and nobody would tell me who it was.

Keeping that in mind, which of you are just jumping to discredit me? Or the statements that I just made, and why?

Give it up guys. The ATF is the puppet of the government. They do what they're told. If you recall the Clinton years, ATF did what they were told. We have a new world order that Uncle Sam is shoving down our throats, and we can't do a thing about it. The UN has disarmed the rest of the civilians of the rest of the world, and we're next. Little by little we'll be throwing rocks like the rest of the civilians of the rest of the world.
How do I know this? It's second and third hand information. But I believe it. Will we ever have first hand information about this? I doubt it.

• You have the right to keep and bare arms. That doesn't mean you can have ammunition. That doesn't mean you can afford to buy that arm or ammo. Not only do you pay state tax on guns and all other firearm related items, but you an excise tax to the state, ATF, and the state department. Is that tax regulated? Not that I know of. So today you .10 to the state, X% to ATF, and X% to the state department. What will it be tomorrow? Fewer people are able to buy a gun today and $ 8 box of ammo is now $15-$20. Are these price hikes just inflation?
  • When was the last time you got to buy some of that great pull down powder for reloading? Who made up the rule that those that bought surplus couldn't use the ammo for it's intended purpose of break it down for components? I, personally, miss that $ 6/# powder that I had so much fun shooting. What?? the terrorists make bombs out of the stuff. I'm not a terrorist. How come I've got to pay the bill? Or those surplus bullets that did so well plinking with. "SSDD"
  • I don't know about you but I really miss those $65 AK's and SKS rifles. I remember walking out of the gun show with one or the other that were in unfired condition and a $99 case of ammo and headed for the rifle range. The empty cases were 6" deep in front of the firing line, and a lot of guys got to go home with a grin on their faces. Guys that today can't afford that same rifle.
  • Who decided that we couldn't import a certain rifle unless it had X% of the parts that were American made? ATF, or was it the UN?
OK, I got a lot off my chest. I did this before but erased it. My paranoia got the best of me. Am I really paranoid? Yep! But I take this little pill every morning and the list of those that are out to get me gets smaller and smaller. The other week was an exceptional one. I became monanoid. There was only one person that was out to get me. But everyone else knew who it was and nobody would tell me who it was.

Keeping that in mind, which of you are just jumping to discredit me? Or the statements that I just made, and why?
Sorry, I don't give up. It's certainly an uphill battle, but give up? Naw Edited by Wingshooter

Let me get this straight.  The NRA has the support of the Chair of the House Judiciary Committee.  This same individual has the power to decide what bills are voted on in his committee, a committee which has oversight for federal law enforcement agencies, including BAFTE. He can also schedule and convene hearings, compel testimony under oath from members of those agencies under their oversight.

Yet the best that can be done is a letter?

Edited by btq96r

Anything else would be a federal crime. Then, guess what, you won't be allowed to own a gun.

Somebody help me out here. What subcommittee was it that it was proven that people lying through their teeth. Or was it more than one?