first IWB holster

Gotta say not hating it, but not in love either. Is there a trick to not having to constantly pull your pants back up? Its a Theis BTW

A wide stiff tight belt helps, not so tight to be uncomfortable but tight.

Gotta say not hating it, but not in love either. Is there a trick to not having to constantly pull your pants back up? Its a Theis BTW

A wide stiff tight belt helps, not so tight to be uncomfortable but tight.

Yep.  A good gun belt that's reasonably snug.  If the butt of the gun is flopping out, your belt isn't stiff enough.  If your pants are falling off, it's not tight enough.

Yep.  A good gun belt that's reasonably snug.  If the butt of the gun is flopping out, your belt isn't stiff enough.  If your pants are falling off, it's not tight enough.

This x 1,000.

The heavier the gun, the stiffer/tighter the belt needs to be. I need to use my gun belt with a G26/19, but I can use just about any old belt with a Kahr PM9 or a Ruger LCP.

Edited by monkeylizard

This x 1,000.

The heavier the gun, the stiffer/tighter the belt needs to be. I need to use my gun belt with a G26/19, but I can use just about any old belt with a Kahr PM9 or a Ruger LCP.

You won belts that are not gunbelts?  :ugh:

I kid...I still have a dress belt...somewhere....

Not trying to sound like a know it all John, but the rigidity and cut of a gun-specific belt is quite different than normal wear leather belts.

It honestly can be quite remarkable when you experience the difference,

I have gunbelts in reinforced nylon, leather and horsehide. Even quality everyday wear leather will have some stretch to it, and the cut is not made to accommodate the weight of a holster and mag pouches.

And IWB does take an adjustment period for most folks.

• Like 1

It's for my G30, I always wear a wide leather belt, not a gun belt but its a good thick all leather belt. I guess I just have to keep adjusting it until I find the right spot to leave it.  

No, that's not it. Try a quality double layer  leather gun belt, and your saggy pants will be a thing of the past. They aren't cheap, but for carrying a handgun all day everyday, a good gunbelt is a necessity.

Keep in mind that most of us have "the box".

This box is filled with holsters that seemed like a good idea at the time, but somehow never panned out.

I'd say you should still try a good gunbelt. You'll need it even if you do decide to try a different holster.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Not trying to sound like a know it all John, but the rigidity and cut of a gun-specific belt is quite different than normal wear leather belts.

It honestly can be quite remarkable when you experience the difference,

I have gunbelts in reinforced nylon, leather and horsehide. Even quality everyday wear leather will have some stretch to it, and the cut is not made to accommodate the weight of a holster and mag pouches.

And IWB does take an adjustment period for most folks.

Yep.

Try this with your belt....    Pinch/squeeze it across it's width with your thumb and forefinger as hard as you can.  Does it collapse?  Unless you've got vice grips for hands, it shouldn't.  My 8 year old, daily worn Beltman belt barely does... less than 1/8".    Most dress belts will fold completely in half with relative ease.  That's the difference. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 2

No unkindness meant, but assuming that's you in your avatar pic, you seem to perhaps be like me, as in, um,  not exactly svelte. ;)

Which is to say that stability and comfort with IWB carry is partially dependent on just where your britches/belt ride in relation to "waist" vs "belly". Let me know if you find an easier solution than what I really should do. :)

- OS

• Like 1

Hey John, you might want to consider getting a gun belt. :D

I got a 511 belt that I really like, it's not super think or wide, about what a normal belt would be, but it has plastic of some kind (kydex?) running down the length sewn inside. It was I think $45 and the best clothing item I've ever owned. Made a world of difference for a IWB holster and looks good with jeans but could be worn with fancier clothes too. 

You think your belt is up to the job, I thought my old one was too, had sagging issues and thought it was my body shape, the holster, too heavy of a gun, wrong positioning of the rig you name it I tried to fix it without buying a new belt. Succumb to the inevitable and go try one out.

My system for IWB is to wear a wife beater t-shirt tucked in to keep something between me and the holster and my outer shirt untucked. I like to wear Carhartt or Dickies carpenter jeans that fit a little loose. I find it works good with my belt 1 notch bigger with IWB.

+1 on a good gun belt. I bought one of these belts from Simply Rugged in 1.75", http://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Real-Man-s-Gun-Belt-Single-Layer-of-Leather.cfm?item_id=171&parent=670 to go along with one of their Silver Dollar pancake holsters for my Ruger SP101 IWB and it carries comfortably. I also use it with other IWB and OWB holsters that I have. They also offer a double layer belt.

For my Glocks I have been liking the Glock sport holster; http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Combat-Holster-for-Glocks/dp/B00IK3XQ4G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FHVTJD1ZZM127F6VY49

Good luck in your quest for the right holster.

I highly recommend the 5.11 cobra belts. Very stiff, durable and easy to use. I find leather belts with traditional buckles to be a step down from a well manufactured nylon belt in your choice of color. I will be recieving a OSOE belt soon as well to try just for kicks.

I've carried AIWB for the last five years. For me riding a motorcycle is very uncomfortable, but everything else is fine. I carry a G19 and previously had a short grip G17. Usually keeping the gun up high is key when I'm sitting down.