WW2 Panther tank in German mans basement.

Knowing the Euro's they would probably destroy a rare vintage piece of history because it was a Nazi tank.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33381772

It seems the tank's presence wasn't much of a secret locally. Several German media reports mention that residents had seen the man driving it around town about 30 years ago. "He was chugging around in it during the snow catastrophe in 1978,"

Could be one of the best kept Panther tanks from WW2, I know few survived the junk yard. The only thing that would have been cooler was if it was a Tiger Tank.

Edited by K191145

I LOVE IT! Personal defense at it's best!

I always wanted an M60 Patton tank for a tornado shelter, if a tornado picks up a 57 ton tank then it's just your time. Might have some fun with it too.   :)

The Engineers have or had some recovery track vehicle that weighed I think over 80 tons.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

Yep, it was quite a find. I hope the tank and other weapons don't end up scrapped.

But in today's climate...that's a pretty good chance of happening.

Can't have those pesky historical reminders hanging around.

• Like 4

Yep, it was quite a find. I hope the tank and other weapons don't end up scrapped.

But in today's climate...that's a pretty good chance of happening.

Can't have those pesky historical reminders hanging around.

Never put it past the European mentality of today. 

They missed the important story. That guy was a small child at the end of the war. How did he get a tank and an AA gun? Were they hidden at his house by the Germans? Did his family take them during the war?

Unless the guy did something to it himself; that AA gun looks pretty functional.

Museums would pay a lot for those. The old guy should get the money. But of course the government will lay claim to them.

They missed the important story. That guy was a small child at the end of the war. How did he get a tank and an AA gun? Were they hidden at his house by the Germans? Did his family take them during the war?

Unless the guy did something to it himself; that AA gun looks pretty functional.

Museums would pay a lot for those. The old guy should get the money. But of course the government will lay claim to them.

My guess is that they were hidden by the Germans from the allies and abandoned during the final days.

He didn't keep them hidden as they were public knowledge, what happened was a change in the classification and rule sets allowing him to possess the flack 88 and tank. By all accounts neither both guns were deactivated and the tank was a post war completion he'd purchased from the UK. Yes, he had it transported to his home.

He didn't keep them hidden as they were public knowledge, what happened was a change in the classification and rule sets allowing him to possess the flack 88 and tank. By all accounts neither both guns were deactivated and the tank was a post war completion he'd purchased from the UK. Yes, he had it transported to his home.

I have a bad habit sometimes of reading half an article.  :)

Did he build the house over this!? I mean, how in the world do you get a tank into a basement!?

It depends.  If you don't care what the house looks like you just pull in there.  If wifey gets bent if the petunias are out of alignment, you have to get it in there veeerrrryyyy carefully......

Edited by hardknox00001
  • Like 1
Hope the panther ends up in a museum, there are so few examples left and a highly sought piece...some feel the pinnacle of tank design for the era.

Looking at the size of the 88, now I understand why the tiger had to be so big... Edited by Gotthegoods
What a find! Some people consider the Panther to be the best tank of WWII because of the balance of fire power, armor and mobility.
It transmission was the weak link. It was designed for a much lighter vehicle. The French used captured Mark Vs after the war until they could build their own tanks.