A flying handgun drone

• Admin Team

The FAA will certainly have a problem with it.  Federal regulations won't allow for the weaponization of any private flying vehicle.  I guess they want that to be the sole domain of corporate members of the military-industrial complex :)

That said, as I watched I found myself humming Alice's Restaurant, 'And the Sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."'

• Like 1

college sophomore

with a gun is about all I took from that.

O Yea and Drones.

This falls under the Just because you can't, you shouldn't.  Next someone will rig one up and go shoot people. 

Then the Media will tell the public no one is safe.

I am running out of tinfoil.   :hiding: Never mind.  Found some.  :tinfoil:

I dunno, I ride the fence. On one hand, I don't like NOBODY telling me what to do. On the other hand, it seems extremely careless. As I posted earlier.....these things are computer controlled .....God knows a computer never malfunctioned and did something you didn't want it to. Suppose whatever keeps the copter oriented has a brain fart and shifts 90 degrees all the sudden?

No sir, I don't think they should tell you not to do it, and I don't think people SHOULD be doing it. It's a shame common sense isn't wide spread, then this wouldn't be an issue.
  • Like 1

I dunno, I ride the fence. On one hand, I don't like NOBODY telling me what to do. On the other hand, it seems extremely careless. As I posted earlier.....these things are computer controlled .....God knows a computer never malfunctioned and did something you didn't want it to. Suppose whatever keeps the copter oriented has a brain fart and shifts 90 degrees all the sudden?

No sir, I don't think they should tell you not to do it, and I don't think people SHOULD be doing it. It's a shame common sense isn't wide spread, then this wouldn't be an issue.

yea, this sort of thing needs a skilled person building and controlling it.  Yes, its computer controlled, but the dirty secret is that the bulk of unmanned vehicles still have a human watching them to pull the plug and take over if it malfunctions.   

And test, test, test, verification is key.   First you shoot paintballs, and you prove that the system works.  Then you upgrade to blanks or dry fire.  And then you test it again.   Live ammo should be 2, 3, 5 years down the road from concept to air-time, and even the, air time means at a special place where shooting in any direction is safe, user behind cover.    Its a HUGE deal.  And, that gun better have its OWN SEPERATE KILL system to disable it (possibly, by simply engaging the manual safety on the firearm with an actuator).

Let me give you an example of why you have to be careful, since I used to build these things for a living. 

We had a vehicle that was fine, had been tested, demonstrated, and was years into its life cycle and mature.   It started going nuts at random now and then, full throttle and full hard rudder.  Couldn't pin it down... it took a couple of months to finally pick up that the handheld radios we were using were inducting a signal on the joystick we were using, causing it to actually command the full throttle and steering.    No one was hurt because we had a  kill switch and were using it away from people -- responsibly.  But an armed system would likely have started shooting under that same "mistake".   Its not something a goober in his basement needs to be doing, because its irresponsible.   Im with caster here ....  pretty much 110%.

You know, it could have all been avoided if it weren't for his need to put it on YouTube.

Yeah. U-tube, FB and other social media have helped put a lot of foolish people in jail. Ended more then a few police, military and governmental careers as well. It used to be you only had to open your mouth and speak to prove to everyone you were an idiot. Now all it takes is a smartphone, tablet or computer with a selfie or video.

its cool and should not be illegal, he didn't exceed air space that is covered by faa, and if the gun is his then what law did he break?

Maybe two laws. One is that it's illegal to jettison anything from an unapproved aircraft (the bullet)*. Two is that it's illegal to arm a civilian aircraft. It's murky though. The FAA hasn't officially come around to saying that drones are "aircraft", but they're certainly looking at what they want to do to regulate them.

*An example of an approved aircraft would be one licensed by the FAA for skydiving.

Edited by monkeylizard

That's what makes it murky. It may or may not be an aircraft. We're really in uncharted waters due to the sudden expansion in the numbers of these things. The FAA  didn't have to do much about hobbyists flying model airplanes around because they're limited in number, and as long as they stayed away from airfields, they weren't really anything to worry about.

I dunno what all the fuss is about... Just looks like a good reason for everybody to own a good trap and skeet gun, to me.... :shrug:

Hmmmm, mig be the next level of trap shooting. Take some skeets up just outta range and start dropping them. Sounds like fun!

Hmmmm, mig be the next level of trap shooting. Take some skeets up just outta range and start dropping them. Sounds like fun!

In Connecticut, you don't shoot skeet, skeet shoot you???  :eek: :panic: :hiding:

"Perfect crime" and "technology has outpaced" legislation...to the first - someone has watched way too many spy - action flicks....

To the second - guv'mint should now regulate innovation, imagination, vision, what the mind of man can believe and achieve?

Eff every one of you hypocritical, selfish, lusting for power, influence and money to assuage your bloated gluttonous egos "faithful to the people" public servants who believe in the God of guv'mint.