best place to have rifles cleaned

I lay out a few layers of newspaper on the coffee table, sit down to a movie or tv series on the internets and just start at it. Can lay down aluminum foil or trash bags underneath if you're worried about leaking through to the table (mine is just an old trunk I've had laying about, no worries for me!)

Are you looking to remove cosmoline? Slow steady low heat works best, and doesn't require harsh chemicals. If you're gonna use chemicals, I've used turpentine, acetone, simple green, and dawn detergent. Turpentine was my best option. Wear gloves, clean it outside. It'll seep forever, but that'll clean off easy if you get it right away.

I lay out a few layers of newspaper on the coffee table, sit down to a movie or tv series on the internets and just start at it. Can lay down aluminum foil or trash bags underneath if you're worried about leaking through to the table (mine is just an old trunk I've had laying about, no worries for me!)

Are you looking to remove cosmoline? Slow steady low heat works best, and doesn't require harsh chemicals. If you're gonna use chemicals, I've used turpentine, acetone, simple green, and dawn detergent. Turpentine was my best option. Wear gloves, clean it outside. It'll seep forever, but that'll clean off easy if you get it right away.

Thankfully no it's not cosmoline though I did remove it from my mosin when I got it a few years back

I would imagine just about any gun shop that does gunsmithing could handle that. Have you checked with The Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet or Lebanon Gun Shop?

i did not know about the reloaders bench I will check with them thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no thanks

Seriously, why not?  The smell of Hoppes #9 is an aphrodisiac, the ladies love it.  ;)

Get some newspaper, a bucket, and a couple shop towels.  Take the stock off and put the muzzle into the bucket to collect the crud that runs down.  It's really not that messy. 

• Like 1

I do the the soak and blow method....been donin it for 60 years .  Take off any plastic....rubber etc.  soak it in turpintine.  I let it soak over night then take my parts brush and go over it.  Take the air compressor and blow the..... you know what out of it..   Be sure and do this outside and wear goggles for your eyes.  Very seldom do I take a gun down....unless I'm lookin for worn parts.  You must do a good lube after that.  

Thankfully no it's not cosmoline though I did remove it from my mosin when I got it a few years back
i did not know about the reloaders bench I will check with them thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could just buy another Mosin for what you will pay to have them clean it.

• Like 4

You could just buy another Mosin for what you will pay to have them clean it.

Literally what I was about to say. Shoot it, spray CLP on it, and run a rod down it. Heck the gas you spend driving to the gunsmith already puts you in the hole for that Mosin. If its a lack of knowledge of dis and reassembling just ask...i'm sure someone lives near you and would be more than willing to help. There's not much to either of those platforms and very easy to do operator level maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Literally what I was about to say. Shoot it, spray CLP on it, and run a rod down it. Heck the gas you spend driving to the gunsmith already puts you in the hole for that Mosin. If its a lack of knowledge of dis and reassembling just ask...i'm sure someone lives near you and would be more than willing to help. There's not much to either of those platforms and very easy to do operator level maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i removed the cosmoline and cleaned it once already but that was back before i was in a apartment, i just dont have the time, space or tools to clean both the mosin and sks so i would rather pay someone to do it for me when i am unable too, it like i know how to change the valve cover gasket on my truck but dont have the time or place to do it so i drop it off at the dealership to have it done

Do it yourself and you'll know it was done correctly.

^^^^ This.  Just see if there is a local member that would allow you to use their shop to give it a once over.  If you are unsure about the whole disassembly part, then even better to get with someone to help walk you through it.  Once you give it a good scrub down, most you would NEED to do is run a rod down the barrel and put a few drops of lube on the moving parts, which you can do anywhere.

^^^^ This.  Just see if there is a local member that would allow you to use their shop to give it a once over.  If you are unsure about the whole disassembly part, then even better to get with someone to help walk you through it.  Once you give it a good scrub down, most you would NEED to do is run a rod down the barrel and put a few drops of lube on the moving parts, which you can do anywhere.

i know i CAN do it, i have taken both of them apart before, but i just dont have the space, time or tools to do it

Luke,

I'm in an apartment as well and just went through the whole cosmoline process on two rifles.

I lay cardboard on top of my kitchen table and am careful not to spill anything.  I go out on the deck for any dirty work.  The cardboard has to be swapped out every so often, other than that everything is good.

One other thing, I have a cosmoline removal setup, which is a bucket for parts and a 3 foot piece of four inch pipe with a cap on one end filled with mineral spirits.  I'll need the kit through the weekend and then you are welcome to borrow it if you like - just have to figure out transport without spilling.  I have extra cardboard as well.  

I'm in Hermitage which isn't too far from your neck of the woods.

Where do you shoot?
I know Charlie has cleaning supplies scattered everywhere and would only laugh if you asked if he cared if you cleaned your gun there after shooting. If he wasn't busy, he'd probably get in there and help.
I've cleaned more than one right there on the bench when I was done shooting.

Luke,

I'm in an apartment as well and just went through the whole cosmoline process on two rifles.

I lay cardboard on top of my kitchen table and am careful not to spill anything.  I go out on the deck for any dirty work.  The cardboard has to be swapped out every so often, other than that everything is good.

One other thing, I have a cosmoline removal setup, which is a bucket for parts and a 3 foot piece of four inch pipe with a cap on one end filled with mineral spirits.  I'll need the kit through the weekend and then you are welcome to borrow it if you like - just have to figure out transport without spilling.  I have extra cardboard as well.  

I'm in Hermitage which isn't too far from your neck of the woods.

be honest how much fun was that removing all that cosmoline? i know when i did my mosin back in 2012 it was fun and when i finally fired it this year did not have a single issue of sticky bolt or anything