Warning Panter Sighting In Obion County

runco

Must be the city dwelling. I've seen several foxes and coyotes live around my house, but none dead. I ride a motorcycle everywhere and tend to notice road kill. Hitting a swollen 20 lb coon in a car is bad. It exploding all over your motorcycle is so much worse....... I do see tons of coons, possum and skunk though. I do think a lot of foxes moved into the city life for easier food sources.

Well, I dare say I've probably seen most everything that walks or slithers killed on the road at some time or other except bear, though they are somewhat frequently too here and there. Grew up on edge of boonies, lived in them half my life, only been a townie since I was like 50.

Interstate slaughter was really something back when they were new cutting though all that previously wild acreage and farmland. Yep, I was already driving before they were done, wasn't even complete between Nooga and Knoxville when I started college, ya have to remember I knew Adam's housecat and all.

Have hit my share of this and that too, especially due to my proclivity for roaring around on small roads in my younger days. One I really felt bad about was a whopper snapping turtle. Took him home and ate him as atonement. :)  I only mention that one because I saw one of the biggest ones ever right here in a creek off the greeenway a couple years ago -- a rivulet really, it doesn't even have a year round flow, amazing.

I'm sure some of the highway dept guys could elucidate us on the variety of roadkill per annum, which probably includes damn near anything that walks, crawls, or slithers. And yeah, could probably find some guy who says he scraped a black painter into the ditch too. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 1 month later...

12/12/2015 Update

At least three confirmed sightings, and DNA confirms a female.  Well, I don't know about you, but there must be male close by. 

http://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/video-more-tennessee-cougar-encounters-dna-tests-confirm-a-female

Video: More Tennessee cougar encounters, DNA tests confirm a female
By Richard Simms Friday, December 11th 2015

Tennessee wildlife officials have now confirmed at least three cougar sightings in the state. One of the three encounters has been confirmed to have been a female, an indication that it is at least possible that a breeding population could establish itself in Tennessee. The increased sightings lead Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officials to get more serious about efforts to review reports, and respond to the many public inquiries, forming a special task force called the "TWRA Cougar Response Committee."

It was early October when TWRA biologists first confirmed that a trail cam photo of a cougar was indeed taken in Obion County, in the far Northwest corner of the state. That was the first confirmation of a cougar, also called mountain lions or pumas, in Tennessee in more than 100 years. Wildlife biologists were not overly surprised, and suspected it was a young male cougar. Young males of all large predators must often range hundreds of miles in search of their own territories as they mature.

Another confirmed sighting came just before Thanksgiving, when another hunter discovered remarkably clear video (below) on his trail camera in Humphreys County, bordering Kentucky Lake west of Nashville.

About JW Player 6.12.4956 (Ads edition)

00:00           

In another sighting, a hunter came to TWRA to report that he had shot a cougar with a bow & arrow in Carroll County while hunting, according to TWRA Region II spokesperson Doug Markham.

The hunter said he did not believe that he mortally wounded the animal, but he did produce a bloody arrow. TWRA officials sent the blood samples off for DNA testing. The results recently came in, revealing that it was cougar blood... and what's more, it was a female.

Joy Sweaney is the statewide TWRA Wildlife Biologist, specializing in bears and other large carnivores. Interviewed in October following the first cougar sighting, Sweaney said, "I don't think [this] is a big deal. They have a very large range, so it's possible he's just roaming looking for his [new] territory. Until we can confirm females [with cubs], we can't consider it as an 'established' population."

The confirmation of a female did not include cubs, but it is more significant than a young male cougar. DNA testing can also determine a general "point of origin." Markham said the tests on the bloody arrow indicated it was a cougar that originated all the way from South Dakota, more than 1,200 miles away.

Such feats are not unheard of. In 2011 the respected magazine "Scientific American" reported on a cougar, also originating from South Dakota, that was killed in Connecticut.

Those amazing long treks don't necessarily mean the cougars made their trips in one fell swoop. They actually could have been working their way East over several years. While it is still possible that all three confirmed Tennessee sightings were of the same cougar, the mounting evidence, along with a number of other unconfirmed sightings, indicate the big cats are moving in our direction.

Again, not a surprise for some wildlife managers.

Alan Peterson, the TWRA Regional manager in West Tennessee said in October, "They're coming. It's just a question of how long it's going to take. It could be decades before there is an established population."

TWRA officials say cougars are classified as a protected species which cannot be hunted or killed until a hunting or trapping season is established by the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission, the governing body of the TWRA.

Markham said the bowhunter who shot the cougar reported the incident himself to TWRA officials. The specific circumstances haven't been revealed. While he believes charges in this case are unlikely, Markham said, "The case has been turned over to a District Attorney's office to determine whether or not he'll be prosecuted."

Is the presence of cougars in Tennessee a good thing or a bad thing?

Most professional wildlife managers consider it a good thing, saying that any habitat that includes apex predators indicates we're doing a good job protecting and managing our environment, and wildlife resources.

"We're always happy to have wildlife in our state that was here historically, but we understand there could be concerns about it," said Markham.

Indeed, people who have been attacked (in some cases killed), by cougars might obviously be concerned.

According to National Geographic, there is an average of four attacks and one human fatality each year in the U.S. and Canada.

Markham said that cougars are extremely shy and very unlikely to be aggressive toward humans. There have been numerous cougar sightings in Missouri in recent years. That state created a "Mountain Lion Response Team" in 1996. They also created a special web page to inform the public about the big cats. That page offers very specific information on cougar behavior, and how people should respond if they see one. Markham said TWRA will likely create a similar web page soon.

Was enjoying the thread until the above "hunter shot, but did not believe he mortally wounded..."

Was the cat attacking or are you just a moron who can't properly identify your target.

I'm gonna go with idiot hunter who just gets a kick out of killing aomething. I know the type. If they go deer hunting and don't kill a deer they will look for other stuff just to kill something. I'm all for hunting for food, and I'm ok with trophy hunting big game. But killing just to kill is sadistic and wasteful.

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 3

Was enjoying the thread until the above "hunter shot, but did not believe he mortally wounded..."

Was the cat attacking or are you just a moron who can't properly identify your target.

I was telling a couple of people about the Bobcat that walked down my driveway and past my house a couple of months ago.  First thing they wanted to know was if I killed it or was going to hunt it.   I was like like WTF would I want to do that for?  The cat wasn't hurting anything.  Have not seen it since.

Speaking of rare, when I was a kid at least once a month I would find green tree snakes while wondering around in the woods. I have been back here for 16 years now and have only seen one. Now granted I do not roam the woods like when I was 9 years old but I should be seeing more than what I do now.

I'm assuming you mean Rough Green Snakes (Opheodrys aestivus). You aren't alone in your observation, there's a lot of us who keep an eye on what species we are and are not seeing when out and about, and Rough Greens have been dropping in number MASSIVELY. Used to be I'd never bother to catch one, now I catch every one I see (3-4 a year) just to give em a good look over and see if they are healthy. They are insectivorous and I'd hazard a guess that pesticides are involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about going overboard, yet another local media report:

http://www.wbir.com/news/4-confirmed-cougar-sightings-in-tn-this-year/9246645

4 confirmed cougar sightings in TN this year
WSMV-TV 11:41 PM. EST December 28, 2015
9379169_G_1451353609038_20125_ver1.0.jpg

In 2015, there have been four confirmed sightings in Obion, Carroll and Humphreys counties.

9379169_G_1451353609038_20125_ver1.0.jpg
CONNECT TWEET LINKEDIN

(NASHVILLE) - For about 100 years, there were no confirmed sightings of cougars in Tennessee.

In 2015, there have been four confirmed sightings in Obion, Carroll and Humphreys counties.

Three of those sightings came from a picture or video of the animal. The fourth came from a hair sample.

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency believes the species is the western cougar. They said it is now in Tennessee because it has been recolonized and has expanded its territory.

It is illegal to kill a cougar in Tennessee unless your life or property are in danger.

TWRA officials said they have never nor do they have plans to stock or encourage a cougar population growth in Tennessee.

I was telling a couple of people about the Bobcat that walked down my driveway and past my house a couple of months ago.  First thing they wanted to know was if I killed it or was going to hunt it.   I was like like WTF would I want to do that for?  The cat wasn't hurting anything.  Have not seen it since.

Proves my point Mike.. some people just want to kill anything for fun. Its like a blood lust or a ego trip..

I wonder how many got shot so far and was not reported..

I have seen one bobcat while hunting and that was a couple years ago, Very Pretty cat. I watched it for a good 20 minutes before having to wave my arms around to scare it off. Just about everyone asked if I shot it....... I don't get it either. My wife would be pissed if I shot something without the intent of eating it. I will say that if I am hunting my friends farm land I will shoot coyotes because they try and kill his calfs. He has asked us to do that. 

I don't have a cat in the race, but... On the subject of roadkill as proof of existence: In comparison to canines and marsupials, how many felines of any kind do you see as roadkill? I may be mistaken, but I believe they are a bit more aware and wary than most of what we see as roadkill on TN roads.

Edited by Peace

I don't have a cat in the race, but... On the subject of roadkill as proof of existence: In comparison to canines and marsupials, how many felines of any kind do you see as roadkill? I may be mistaken, but I believe theynare a bit more aware and wary than most of what we see as roadkill on TN roads.

I have personally seen a dead adult cougar on I-16, and a few years later, my parents saw a dead juvenile cougar on a different part of the same highway.  According to the game officials in Florida, they find roadkilled cougars often enough that they are skeptical of claims of eastern cougars outside Florida (they feel that there would be at least one killed on the road eventually).

Changing weather  and people moving into the country are  to blame I suppose.. fire ant are moving also.

I know when we where in Alabama in the summer time you see those nasty huge flying roaches everywhere.I had one  fly into my hair once..I was horrified..lol

never used to see them up here around my place.This last summer I seen 4 or 5 ...

Changing weather  and people moving into the country are  to blame I suppose.. fire ant are moving also.

I know when we where in Alabama in the summer time you see those nasty huge flying roaches everywhere.I had one  fly into my hair once..I was horrified..lol

never used to see them up here around my place.This last summer I seen 4 or 5 ...

I got out to rabbit hunt this fall and noticed mound after mound of fire ant hills in the fields we hunt. After not shooting any rabbits I decided to shoot fire ant mounds. 

I got out to rabbit hunt this fall and noticed mound after mound of fire ant hills in the fields we hunt. After not shooting any rabbits I decided to shoot fire ant mounds. 

Growing up in south LA I found the only way to kill off a fire ant mound was to use a long piece of rod/pipe to poke a deep hole in the mound, pour some gas down the hole and wait a few minutes for the gas to soak into the mound underground. Toss a match to it and set the buggers on fire! The key is the hole allows the gas to soak down into the mound and the fire follows the gas... Bastards would just move their mound around if you was using poison but not with gas and fire....

Growing up in south LA I found the only way to kill off a fire ant mound was to use a long piece of rod/pipe to poke a deep hole in the mound, pour some gas down the hole and wait a few minutes for the gas to soak into the mound underground. Toss a match to it and set the buggers on fire! The key is the hole allows the gas to soak down into the mound and the fire follows the gas... Bastards would just move their mound around if you was using poison but not with gas and fire....

Just pour liquid aluminum down the hole.  Same outcome and you get a piece of art out of it (http://www.anthillart.com/castings/025/):

left-img_1746.jpg

• Like 1

I found a small mound at an apartment complex my wife and I lived in after we got married and proceeded to use light fluid and hot coals every time o grilled to piss them off. I eventually killed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone see the story on CNN front page?

I'm trying to paste the link but it won't let me. While I'm here, what is the difference between a panther and a mtn lion?

Panthers are actually leopards (bigger with spots), while Mountain lions are cougars (smaller, no spots) but they are called by different names; puma, and catamount being the others.

I've seen a mountain lion(s) on several occasions while hunting deer on Putman Mountain in Alabama in late 90's to early 2000. The only time I was bothered was when it disappeared near dusk in the area I had parked my 4 wheeler ATV. I rode out of valley with magazine loaded but non in chamber.