So I am thinking about starting a TGO Hall of Shame

TGO David

Years ago you didn't have to be a Benefactor to post in the classifieds but had to have at least 50 posts if I recall the number correctly. You would see a bunch of low value posts going on for someone to quickly get to the 50.

If you bring the post count back you'll see some of that again but it's probably the best solution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Since you asked for our input, I think a combination of post counts OR membership tenure would be a good idea. I suspect there are members (possibly Benefactors) who rarely if ever post, but have been members for years and do a lot of reading. I doubt they're going to be your problem members.

Hall of Shame posting anything more than the screen name and reason for shaming might be a bad idea. IANAL, but I could see that going bad in several ways.

I recently read a pretty convincing article on the value of shaming. I can't say I agreed 100% with it, but a very good argument was made. In this sort of situation though, I'd say let 'em have it. If they want to act like douches, treat them like douches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Honor and Shame" is a biblical principle. Most Westerners will never see it nor understand it. 

The God of the bible demands Honor. To honor another god brings Shame upon the Creator. To Honor the Creator brings shame upon the other gods. As one is increased, as the Honored as raised up, the Shamed is also increased, the shamed are dishonored equally (brought low).

Once aware of this you will see this principle over and over from cover to cover. 

Westerners operate a guilt based system, not Shame based, guilt is used to manipulate people (manipulation of others is evil in my opinion), Shame is used to punish. 

OP, you are wasting time and energy. Heathens are everywhere, brush them aside and move on. Just my opinion........they will get theirs.

Edited by Shepherd Master

I would not want our classifieds hidden from non benefactors. I bet a lot of sales come from non benefactors so hiding the classifieds would only hurt our benefactors.

This. I've made multiple sales/trades with non-benefactors

I like the idea of minimum posts, but I would say from a business perspective, that would reduce the revenue stream, kinda of counterproductive.  I say a lot of people pay, sell a gun, and are gone.  For the ones that stiff you, take the high road.  

Or maybe take two forms of payment, both paypal and a CC?

• Administrator

It's been a while since this happened but yes, we had someone post a bunch of stuff for sale and then try to reverse charges a few months later.  After going back and forth with the member's bank over it, I finally just told them to refund the person and I banned them permanently from the site.

The more I think about the notion of just taking the high road, the more I think it's probably the right idea.

• Like 7

I Myself would like to pay for my benefactor fee with a CCard/Debit card and would also like to receive some type of notice that my Benefactor Status is coming up for renewal before it expires. I wish I could afford lifetime so would not have to renew but can't so have to just keep renewing.................... :up: :up:

Go for it. Feed em' fish heads

Wasn't till I was 8yrs old before Coming to the US so eating fish heads is something I enjoy. They say the cheek is the prime meat for fish. Take the high road and just ban them for life. I've accidentally broke the rules before and my fellow TGO's looked out for me. We help/police each other and that's what makes this forum an enjoyable, positive experience. With pre-teen to older daughters, I have plenty of drama already.

....... we had someone post a bunch of stuff for sale and then try to reverse charges a few months later......

How about this? No wall of shame but maybe a limit on "for sale" items on non-established people. Say one or two items at first until enough time has passed and or enough posts have been reached. What that number is I don't know. Some of the others have made some suggestions that seem fair. That way if a guy has a gun he wants to sell he can do it. He may still try to short you but it may cut down on the business types that don't care about the site. Now if it is a business type person, offer a credit card rate for bulk sales that would be non refundable.

How about WE, as in staff, use the feedback system we have. If a member decides to be a turd behind the scenes leave him a negative feedback. With everyone having positives a negative would really stand out. We already have it in place and other members can see the feedback unlike our warning point system.

Or if you want you can turn me loose on them. I don't care what they do to me as I already have experience in dealing with internet turds and have all the time in the world to hold them accountable.

• Like 6

Oh we do ban them but I dare anyone to find someone who is banned who has a negative review. All that I have banned still have their positive feedback.

And why would that matter for someone who is banned from TGO? Because this is a local board you WILL meet people from TGO if you sell stuff. My last sell-a-thon I did I had several members contact me through my email. One would not give me his screen name even though he said he was a member. Probably because he was banned. The others gave me their screen name and I looked them up here before dealing with them.

And some people do not get banned for issues in the classifieds. A person could get banned for making off color remarks and still be a great person to deal with.

I'm confused.....unless you use their real name in the feedback, how would a normal member ever know that that person had been banned from here???

If I had been banned, and you asked me if I was a member of TGO and I said "no" ....which would not be a lie, btw..... How does feedback help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by FTE

I'm confused.....unless you use their real name in the feedback, how would a normal member ever know that that person had been banned from here???

If I had been banned, and you asked me if I was a member of TGO and I said "no" ....which would not be a lie, btw..... How does feedback help?

Your profile says you've been a member since 15 April 2015

I ask everyone I come into contact with, especially selling something, if they are a member of TGO. I haven't met any random person that has been a member here but I have been contacted by a few people through Armslist or GoC who said they were members of TGO. They have at least said who they are or at least I assume so. Had one guy back out of a deal after we exchanged TGO usernames. I had another guy local to me say I banned him from here, we sent a few more emails back and forth talking about life then we never contacted each other again. So there are plenty of times when the feedback or even their posts here will help you feel out a potential buyer/seller if they are a member here. Even before I sell to anyone new to TGO I go back and read a few posts to get a feel for them. Had a few members, now banned, who I would have NEVER sold a firearm to based solely on their posts. And everything starts with the TGO username.