Christmas present to yourself?

ReeferMac

:shrug:

No looking down on anyone who enjoys it, and as I hinted to, if there were children here it'd be a different story altogether.

It's the obligation man has beat into one another that makes it crazy to me.  Like you're somehow subhuman if you don't hyperextend yourself financially to participate.  That mostly comes from commercial entities.  Much like Valentines day...the most useless of all the obligation holidays.  I don't need a greeting card company to tell me how and when to express my love and gratitude to my wife.  

It's certainly NOT a scrooge-like cheapskate {me}.  The wife just asked if I would like to buy a new TV.  She wants something bigger than our 55".  I told her if we got the money, go buy it, what do I care if that's what'll make you happy that's what i want.  

I lament the days past [days pre-Caster] where good friends, good food and good times were all the season had to offer.  

Occasionally we will buy one another things as a surprise gift but the feeling of obligation on set dates? No.

Just because the Calender tells us we must feel obligated to make or purchase a material item and gift it to someone has made me feel uneasy for some time. Doing this really does not make me happy and I don't really enjoy receiving gifts that I know friends or relatives went to a lot of trouble to get for me that they really couldn't afford and it was something I really didn't need. In this day and time a great many of the kids I know and my own in particular get stuff all through out the year.  I know that when I want something or there is something my wife or kids have mentioned they want or need and I think they desrve it I get it on the spot and give it to them.  So having said all that I'm changing my avatar.  Happy Festivus to All!

Since the twins left, the household budget is always balanced, so I don't ask about the shoe boxes delivered by FedEx, and she doesn't ask about the boxes from Midway and Buds.

Also, save some cash. I've purchased several items in the past when cash was tight just by setting aside a twenty dollar bill every week or two. After you get your contraband into the safe, they will all look the same to the wife. Edited by LINKS2K

Just because the Calender tells us we must feel obligated to make or purchase a material item and gift it to someone has made me feel uneasy for some time. Doing this really does not make me happy and I don't really enjoy receiving gifts that I know friends or relatives went to a lot of trouble to get for me that they really couldn't afford and it was something I really didn't need. In this day and time a great many of the kids I know and my own in particular get stuff all through out the year.

Same here for the most part.

That's actually one 'difference' I've noticed recently w/ my children vs. the way I grew up... half of my Christmas presents (sometimes more than half) were clothes, supplies, and things I needed for the year. New sweater, socks, underwear, jeans, school-stuff... I always got some Lego's and toy's, a new soccer ball, maybe a new fishing pole (but if my old one broke, my parent's bought me a new one), that telescope I used for years. Most of my Seasonal-haul was utilitarian in nature, masquerading as gifts (which is how I learned to receive those things).

Today my kids get X-box points, games, toys, books (pleasure reading), maybe 1-3 new articles of clothing (but stuff they like, not what they need for school). My daughter naturally gets more clothing, but it's what she likes, and it's 'fancy' stuff - when I say I got new clothes for Christmas, it was the other half of my school wardrobe... not the Minecraft and Destiny T-shirts my son's are getting this year.

I think lots of folks here had it similar. I'm not complaining/critiquing, just a subtle shift I've noticed over the years... seems endemic, too (same among our friends/peers). Curious to see the affect(s) it has on their thoughts and idea's. Personally I think it's a symptom of a far larger problem in our society, but I'd digress...

• Like 1

I know I was being a bit silly or funny about getting my M&P for myself but seriously , I would have gotten it whether it was Christmas time or not. I just happened to want it and so I got it. For my family we celebrate Christmas as a time to all get togather and have fun and because we are Christians and we love the Lord God and Jesus . I am thankful for our family because ours seems like a type of family that is almost extinct. I have been with my wife for 20 yrs , married to her for 18 yrs and we have very great reliationships with our siblings and our kids love us .

So in all I am happy and VERY thankful to have my family , my mom ,  and my wife and babies here for Christmas all togather . Today things are so much filled with drama and I hate that . Our family is what most would call "boring" and guess what ,,,,, I LOVE " BORING" 

Merry Christmas everyone ! :up:

My priorities  have changed over the years..It used to be our son and what he got ..Now I am happy with a halfway decent clean  garage where you don't fall over stuff.Sure...there are things I would like to have but I would be happy just to see my husband happy and healthy..and my grand baby being closer to us.

We buy things during the year when we have the cash..no CC BS anymore..I want to be debt free within 2 years so we can enjoy our lifes and not worry about anything anymore

Right now I be happy with a piece of bread toasted with Nutella..:)

• Like 1
Well, what'd I tell you about telling the woman, if you want it, go buy it and leave me be??

She bought her Christmas present so to speak. A 65 inch Samsung to replace the (evidently inadequate) 55 inch we had.

My lazy boy sits only 36 inches away from it. Now I KNOW I'll never be a movie theater victim. Why would I bother going???

We buy things during the year when we have the cash..no CC BS anymore..

I have never had a credit card actually issued to me. I have had quite a few issued in my name to others though. :down: So I have never lived in debt beside the one truck payment and two motorcycle payments that were spaced apart and paid off before I retired from the Navy. When the wife and I got married I fell under her "program". She charges everything over $10 and pays it off every month. She gets money back every year and never pays interest. Some months its a painful payment, ie vacation charges, but it is a good system she has taught me. Our house and land is paid off, vehicles paid off and toys paid off. Now she/we are dumping as much money as possible into her retirement.  

How do YOU get away with it?

- K

(not that I'm shopping for anything at all lately.. just, ya know, in-case I need a good excuse in the future or something.)77

:D

I guess I picked the right wife.  I don't have to justify anything as long as we can afford it.   Same goes for her though we check with each other before we spend more than a few hundred bucks.

• Like 1

Running joke in our house is my "Gun Fund".  I keep doing side jobs (computer issues, etc.) and I keep going until I save up for whatever I have my mind on--the time of the year doesn't matter to me.  I am surprised sometimes when the fund has grown and I know I didn't add anything to it.  Turns out, my wife is a regular contributor to that fund!!!!    Been looking for a Glock 21 and the wife just added enough so the hunt begins!!

• Like 1

While I don't partake in Christmas as a holiday, I am not opposed to taking advantage of deals offered during the season.  The SD-3G Trigger was on sale for $182, so I was able to justify the add on purchase of the AXTS  Raptor Ambi Charging Handle as the two together cost what the SD-3G would normally.  So, the charging handle was free putting it in woman terms.  The VP9 was picked up used from another site at a very good price, and is in beautiful condition, needing only a cleaning by my standards.  Not sure if the seller had any Xmas related reasons for making the sale, but why pass up a chance to show it off.

Obviously, I'm single.

IMG_20151211_163428_zpsypoxw5f0.jpg

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

While I don't partake in Christmas as a holiday, I am not opposed to taking advantage of deals offered during the season.  The SD-3G Trigger was on sale for $182, so I was able to justify the add on purchase of the AXTS  Raptor Ambi Charging Handle as the two together cost what the SD-3G would normally.  So, the charging handle was free putting it in woman terms.  The VP9 was picked up used from another site at a very good price, and is in beautiful condition, needing only a cleaning by my standards.  Not sure if the seller had any Xmas related reasons for making the sale, but why pass up a chance to show it off.

Obviously, I'm single.

IMG_20151211_163428_zpsypoxw5f0.jpg

Single ??? and can afford fun things without permission ? You bastard ! :rant:

Lol! We're a DINK couple (dual income, no kids) Neither of us makes a ton but we're happy. I hadn't gotten much lately, but Thanksgiving week I helped myself to 3 new pistols and 2 shotguns. I figured if I gotta pay for that $10 bg check, I oughtta make it worth it!

Three of them were gifts, but whatever. I haven't gifted them yet, so they're still mibe, haha! And two of them are presents for wifey, so those get to stay home, too.

I've got some beautiful guns I've wanted "for her." It's a truly great trick! "Oh baby! Look at this sweet gun I just got... for you!" ;-D
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, save some cash. I've purchased several items in the past when cash was tight just by setting aside a twenty dollar bill every week or two. After you get your contraband into the safe, they will all look the same to the wife.

This.
I have cash "gun money" that I fund with a little cash out of each paycheck, and once I get the purchase into the safe I'm home free.