Pending Gun EO Chatter, Update See Post #114

• 2 weeks later...

It was getting a lot of press building up to the Sandy Hook Anniversary and then nothing.  

I saw more articles from gun sites and the like than any traditional news source by about 10-1.  This was a rumor spun into a tizzy by paranoia. 

Whatever he has will come out with the rest of the 2016 last year of his Presidency agenda at the State of the Union. 

• Like 1

Here's what I am wondering...does Obama have the balls to just do a blatantly unconstitutional EO and ban all transfers except through FFL's so it's stuck in the courts for months to possibly years? Heck, what does he really have to lose? He wins support from the morons for at least months, if not years/forever (remember, they are morons, reality and facts don't matter to them) and then the EO gets smacked down by the courts. Or it could possibly get approved by the courts. The obamacare ruling should have never happened, but it did, so we can't really count on the courts to rule what the constitution clearly says.... Just some scary thoughts unfortunately.....

• Like 1

Nothing but noise created by internet buzz - as said before, EO's are limited in scope, and most gun laws are set in stone by US code and previous congressional action.  I don't doubt there will be some sort of announcement, with the typical fanfare, which once again will prove to be much ado about nothing.  In today's world, regardless of your political persuasion, it's more about the reaction you get than the actual consequences of your pronouncements ...

I read it first today on Breathreid and he was quoting an article out if Politico and saying the WH was coming out with an EO next week. According to the Politico article, the EO tightens up the regs regarding who has to sell with an FFL and FFLs reporting lost or stolen firearms via shipping. I didn't see where the article said that it was happening next week though.

Then Allen West and Thee Federalist picked it up and said the same thing on their Facebook pages. That's where all this is coming from.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped

Here's what I am wondering...does Obama have the balls to just do a blatantly unconstitutional EO and ban all transfers except through FFL's so it's stuck in the courts for months to possibly years? Heck, what does he really have to lose? He wins support from the morons for at least months, if not years/forever (remember, they are morons, reality and facts don't matter to them) and then the EO gets smacked down by the courts. Or it could possibly get approved by the courts. The obamacare ruling should have never happened, but it did, so we can't really count on the courts to rule what the constitution clearly says.... Just some scary thoughts unfortunately.....

Certainly he will try. It’s a political move so he can say he tried everything even when Congress would not act.

Hopefully the courts won’t have to get involved. Congress should step up and do the right thing; it’s their job. They can pass legislation to override an EO, but when he vetoes it; it would take a 2/3 vote to override his veto.

I just wish these reporters would get educated and quit calling it the “Gun Show Loophole” and call it what it is; stopping private sales without going through the Feds.
I was watching Foxnews this morning and they discussed this. In Obama's radio address yesterday, he said he will meet with the AG on Monday, to discuss what he and his team have come up with for expanding background checks for non FFL high volume gun sellers.

This seems to be directed at people that rent tables at gun shows and sell large numbers of firearms without an FFL. At least thst was the example used.

I am dure there will be options as well.

This seems to be directed at people that rent tables at gun shows and sell large numbers of firearms without an FFL. At least thst was the example used.

There are already Federal laws against that. Why don’t they enforce the laws we already have? Because it’s BS; they want all private sells to go through an FFL.

I wonder if when they do it are they going to allow FFL’s to charge whatever they want? The TBI will have hit a home run with $10 off every gun sale in the state. Whats next; sales tax?
There are laws against that, but I have never been to a show where there wasn't a private collector selling his collection. To be honest I tend to see the same ones doing this at most every show. They got a hell of a collection!!!

I have also heard they might issue an EO stipulating the length of time you must own a firearm, before you can sell it to another private individual without a background check. The term of 1 year was mentioned. Of course, how do you do that in a State like Tennessee, where we don't register guns and there is no easy way to track how long a individual has owned a particular firearm?

The term of 1 year was mentioned. Of course, how do you do that in a State like Tennessee, where we don't register guns and there is no easy way to track how long a individual has owned a particular firearm?

They don’t care; they just want to ban it. This is about Obama saying he did everything he could do and Hillary picking it up and running with it. Criminals won’t abide by it anyway and law abiding citizens will go through the background checks.

I saw someone post that they will be civilly disobedient. Well that’s great, but it would require two people that are willing to risk arrest. Also, they may not be able to prove the case against you; but that doesn’t make your legal costs any less after they arrest you. Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2

I wonder about people selling on Armslist and sites like TGO, will they fall under the EO?  Example, could federal prosecution prove that IP address 123.... listed X number of guns within Y period of time, hence qualifies as a gun dealer which is under the jurisdiction of the EO?  

I wonder about people selling on Armslist and sites like TGO, will they fall under the EO?  Example, could federal prosecution prove that IP address 123.... listed X number of guns within Y period of time, hence qualifies as a gun dealer which is under the jurisdiction of the EO?

Who knows. If they outlaw private gun sales all websites that aren’t FFL dealers will have to look at their liability. They can say all sales have to go through an FFL, but what about liability when that doesn’t happen? They will have to check with their lawyers as I’m sure there will be people lying in wait to name them in a lawsuit.

NRA Lifetime on FB from time to time posts some interesting information.  This one posted a moments ago states this one source says the EO will include the same play from the Veterans Administration regarding if the elderly that cannot managed their own affairs will have their guns confiscated, but this time instead of a Veteran, a Social Security recipient!   Wow!!!

Source:  http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines-2015/confiscation-is-coming-obama-to-issue-executive-order-targeting-42-million-retirees-with-massive-gun-ban

Save you from clicking:

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/EO1_zpsveqv4dnd.jpg.html]EO1_zpsveqv4dnd.jpg[/URL]

This article brings up an interesting point, http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/obamas-executive-action-on-guns-my-prediction/

"The Act mandated that anyone “in the business” of buying and selling guns required a license from the federal government." I think that's the key. I forgot about that part and that would make it hard to put an exact number on the number of guns  because it's not about the amount, it's about if you are making a living from it. Obama can't get around that with an EO, though I really wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't just ignore it.

NRA Lifetime on FB from time to time posts some interesting information.  This one posted a moments ago states this one source says the EO will include the same play from the Veterans Administration regarding if the elderly that cannot managed their own affairs will have their guns confiscated, but this time instead of a Veteran, a Social Security recipient!   Wow!!!

Source:  http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines-2015/confiscation-is-coming-obama-to-issue-executive-order-targeting-42-million-retirees-with-massive-gun-ban

Save you from clicking:

EO1_zpsveqv4dnd.jpg

How many shooters in the last year, let alone the last 5 years would have been stopped by this? I am guessing as many as universal background checks would have stopped (zero). But it's not about actually doing things that would stop criminals...

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I can tell you guys that I'm watching this really closely and of course TGO will do whatever we need to do in order to remain legal if some new Executive Order is issued.

If that means we partner up even more closely with our Vendors to provide you with a network of FFLs to deal through on private sales, then that's what we will do.  In the meantime I suggest you all start bombarding your Congressmen and Congresswomen -- no matter where you live in the US -- and demand that they move swiftly to revoke whatever EO our petty little tyrant issues.

You can read up on Executive Orders here:

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS20846.pdf

• Like 8

^^^

Didn't think about that aspect of it.  Defying an executive order is all fine and good for us individually but the forum would almost HAVE to fall in line, else be begging to be a target and made an example of.  If this does happen, maybe we could try to keep the bitching to a minimum, can't blame David if he's gotta cover his hind end.  

Well... I wouldn't piss on Obama if his teeth were on fire. I'm for damn sure not going to comply with one of his whims, especially since his clown show does nothing to enforce current REAL laws.

Fuck Obama and all his friends. I'm with TMF. Write it, and I will go out of my way to violate it.

• Like 4

The President will huff, and puff, and not much will be done in the end.  I do think that the intransigence of the gun community, along with the interest groups (NRA, GOA and the like) have brought us here.  We're holding onto the fish too tight, IMO.

It's been obvious that the leaders of the Democratic party have wanted background checks expanded to the point of universal.  But we've "held the line" because apparently that's important.  What it's also done has reduced any progress at the federal level in the last ten years to nil.  We're doing great in the states where we can (CA, CT, MA & NY are too far gone right now), but that only goes so far.  So, what could be done?

Ask yourself how much of an impediment a background check is.  I wouldn't call it an "infringement" and let's face it, neither would any court.  They aren't going away anytime soon.  So, why not accept it and trade it for something better.  If the community and interest groups gave them the okay, Congressional Republicans could offer universal background checks & closing the "gun show loophole" for something far more valuable to the shooting community: gutting Title II of the NFA.

If there was a deal on the table that exchanged universal background checks for removing SBR's and suppressors as Title II firearms, making an SBR something you can buy as easy as a 16" AR, and a suppressor just another item in the counter at your LGS, I'd take that deal any day of the week.  Democrats would be forced to take what they have been campaigning to get for decades, or explain why they said no.  But the current political climate has put any chance for a deal like that into the not happening category. 

To me, the most important intent of the 2nd Amendment is that private citizens are able to own firearms of equal capability of the military and law enforcement that could be turned against them, thus creating a check of power.  If they have "assault rifles" those citizens who want to own one should be able to as well.  SBR's, suppressors, ect...the intent of the 2nd Amendment was for a citizen militia to be well armed enough.  I'd rather focus on that as priority #1. 

I can tell you guys that I'm watching this really closely and of course TGO will do whatever we need to do in order to remain legal if some new Executive Order is issued.

If that means we partner up even more closely with our Vendors to provide you with a network of FFLs to deal through on private sales, then that's what we will do.

And it's too easy to do that.  I bought my VP9 from a guy on M4C, had it shipped to my FFL and it took all of ten minutes to get a 1st time GO while I browsed their gun rack.

• Like 3
  • Authorized Vendor

If that means we partner up even more closely with our Vendors to provide you with a network of FFLs to deal through on private sales, then that's what we will do.  In the meantime I suggest you all start bombarding your Congressmen and Congresswomen -- no matter where you live in the US -- and demand that they move swiftly to revoke whatever EO our petty little tyrant issues.

You can read up on Executive Orders here:

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS20846.pdf

I understand and fully support that you do whatever you have to do to keep this fine place online. I read and reread the executive order link you provided and maybe I just don't understand everything...you know...being old and all but this is what I understand about all this.

An Executive Order is only valid if it’s done within the jurisdictional authority of the President’s constitutional authority. To rule against the Second Amendment is not a presidential prerogative. If it is, then the President could turn his attention to the First Amendment and issue an order that newspapers can no longer criticize him. Conservative talk radio would die a quick death if the President issued an Executive Order saying that the freedom of speech had to be limited in several ways, one of which was negative political speech, especially about him.

Don’t get me wrong. I do believe that President Obama would like to do all these things. He’s mad with power. He has a vendetta against America.

President Obama is an elected official. He’s not a king. The king battle was fought a long time ago at Runnymede in 1215.

If the President and other anti-Second Amendment advocates want to limit our freedoms, then they can go through the amendment process. An Executive Order is the chicken’s way out. It’s also unconstitutional. Feel free to correct me . I'm not a lawyer or even college educated...just a concerned citizen.

• Like 1

I agree in the short term, but the progressives play a long term game.

One of the problems I see with it is the de facto gun registration it creates in the years to come. As generations die off, every gun will be tied to a person via gov paperwork with no way to transfer without more paperwork (assuming this gets written in the worst case)

True, But until we get rid of these "progressives" aka communists they will keep bringing this back again and again.

Elections have consequences. There are 40 + Democraps that are avowed communists in congress.

Until they are voted out of office and replaced with true patriotic politicians that have the U.S. best interest in mind it will only get worse.

I'm not happy with the brain dead establishment Republicans ether.

Does anyone elected to office have the best interest of the country first?

We need a big change and fast!  :usa:

• Like 1