Why are pickup trucks so expensive?

If the public will ban together, and not buy, then this will drive down market price.  As long as we are willing to pay, then the market is the market. 

That will never happen, especially when the general mentality is "lowest monthly payment possible".

• Like 5

It's all the damned technology.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

^This. Also, trucks have expanded into more luxury models. For me a truck is for work, so it bothers me when I have to get upgrades on some things to get what are to me essentials. For instance, my 2014 RAM 2500 has crappy headlights. In order to get the projection headlights I have to get the next higher model that includes leather seats. Or get the Big Horn that I got and pay $700 for a set of projection headlights. :(

^This. Also, trucks have expanded into more luxury models. For me a truck is for work, so it bothers me when I have to get upgrades on some things to get what are to me essentials. For instance, my 2014 RAM 2500 has crappy headlights. In order to get the projection headlights I have to get the next higher model that includes leather seats. Or get the Big Horn that I got and pay $700 for a set of projection headlights. :(

All I want is heat and air, a radio, and power mirrors. I don't need fancy leather seats because I can get seat cover. I don't need seats with a motor either because I'm not that fat or lazy yet so I can move them myself. I will also add that some of it is because of government like the backup cameras. I think I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
It's several things together.

All the options that make a truck appealing to the masses that don't need one just like the look are both expensive and heavy.

All the modern safety features that are mandated by the government are both expensive and heavy.

The government mandated efficiency levels, both emissions and fuel economy, are expensive to implement and meet. Not to mention the R&D to develop said systems. The options and safety features mentioned previously that add weight makes the vehicle less fuel efficient, they then have to do R&D to use either aerodynamics or the power train to reduce fuel consumption.

Materials are also getting more and more expensive every day. The quality and quantity levels required from the manufacturer require state of the art facilities to produce the vehicles. You also have the fact that most if not all inside the US are Union on top of that making more money than they should be( yes I can say this because I have worked on the assembly line for a car manufacturer)

It's a lot of things together, but mostly just blame the government, they are the root of all problems not money, lol
  • Like 3

It is crazy how expensive trucks have gotten.  One of the problems is there are people like me who are stupid enough to pay it.  I just bought a 2016 F150 Platinum.  It is crazy the amount of tech that is in this thing.  I love my truck though.

Edited by KahrMan

It's several things together.

All the options that make a truck appealing to the masses that don't need one just like the look are both expensive and heavy.

All the modern safety features that are mandated by the government are both expensive and heavy.

The government mandated efficiency levels, both emissions and fuel economy, are expensive to implement and meet. Not to mention the R&D to develop said systems. The options and safety features mentioned previously that add weight makes the vehicle less fuel efficient, they then have to do R&D to use either aerodynamics or the power train to reduce fuel consumption.

Materials are also getting more and more expensive every day. The quality and quantity levels required from the manufacturer require state of the art facilities to produce the vehicles. You also have the fact that most if not all inside the US are Union on top of that making more money than they should be( yes I can say this because I have worked on the assembly line for a car manufacturer)

It's a lot of things together, but mostly just blame the government, they are the root of all problems not money, lol

All good points.  Trucks have much more equipment (both mandated and optional) than the trucks of the past, which drives the price up considerably.  Another factor, trucks are the most profitable vehicles in manufacturers inventory, a few years ago the average truck generated profits of up to $10 000 each, I imagine that figure is higher now.  This is mostly due to demand, as trucks are the top-selling vehicle for many makes, the market helps determine the pricing structure.

It is crazy how expensive trucks have gotten.  One of the problems is there are people like who are stupid enough to pay it.  I just bought a 2016 F150 Platinum.  It is crazy the amount of tech that is in this thing.  I love my truck though.

Much irony in this post ...

• Like 4

I've had my '15 Silverado for 4 months now. With the small V-8 I'm getting 19.5 MPG. Most of my driving is rural. Only reason I can think of for the higher price is the added testosterone pockets they had to put in it.

It is crazy how expensive trucks have gotten. One of the problems is there are people like me who are stupid enough to pay it. I just bought a 2016 F150 Platinum. It is crazy the amount of tech that is in this thing. I love my truck though.

Man, I'd love a new(er) Platinum. However, the $40K - $50K price tag is more than I'd like to spend. That almost sounds like another mortgage payment.

Well, I always said I wouldn't buy new ever again, but the new 4 cylinder diesel colorado/canyon is pretty bad ass.  30mpg, 370tq

Seriously considering trading up.  Or I may just buy a wrecked one at an insurance auction and rebuild it.  The latter sounds better

It's all the luxury and technology they stuff in them.

Add the fact that most of them now come with twin turbo V6's, 4 cam 32 valve V8's and have lots of HP.

My advice. I'd keep that truck of yours as long as you can keep it going and it is safe. If your willing to keep it going, it'll save you money the longer you keep driving it.

• Like 2

My truck is closing in on 200,000 miles, so it's about time to start looking for something newer. Current prices are even more ridiculous than I remember them being when I bought the truck I have now.

Is there anything specifically wrong/about to crap out on the truck that's major?  If not, I'd keep on driving and making SMART repairs.   Smart as in no major repairs that cost more than the vehicle is worth.  

To me, 200K miles now on a vehicle is the old "100K".  In the 70's/80's a vehicle was pretty much done when it hit 100K.   Now 200-300K is not abnormal if you maintain the vehicle.   I have almost 240K on my Volvo and don't intend on getting rid of it until the repair bill doesn't make sense.   

So, you can think of it this way if it makes you feel better, you are getting 2x the vehicle life as you use to.  :)

Then buy used, let the other guy pay

I've never bought a new vehicle. I bought my current truck five years ago for $8000 cash. It's a 2002 Ford F150 XLT with an extended cab, 5.4 liter V8, and an automatic transmission. I'd like to find a newer version of it. It had about 90K miles on it when I bought it, and I've averaged about 20K miles a year since then. It's been a good truck, but with it pushing 200,000 miles, I get nervous about taking it on an occasional road trip. Based on the price tags alone, I highly doubt I'll be buying new this time around.

Is there anything specifically wrong/about to crap out on the truck that's major? If not, I'd keep on driving and making SMART repairs. Smart as in no major repairs that cost more than the vehicle is worth.

To me, 200K miles now on a vehicle is the old "100K". In the 70's/80's a vehicle was pretty much done when it hit 100K. Now 200-300K is not abnormal if you maintain the vehicle. I have almost 240K on my Volvo and don't intend on getting rid of it until the repair bill doesn't make sense.

So, you can think of it this way if it makes you feel better, you are getting 2x the vehicle life as you use to. :)

No, nothing wrong with it. It runs well, and I've kept it well maintained. The only real concern is that the mileage is getting to the point where I'm concerned about taking it on road trips. I could rent for those sort of trips, though.
  • Like 1
Ha! Friend of mine was just telling me what a great deal on his new truck. Ford F-350, 2015, diesel big ass engine 4 wheel drive all the goodies, etc,blah,blah. Listed at $65,00 and he was so thrilled to bring it home at $56,000. What the hell are people smoking?
  • Like 5