2 Greenbriar Teens Killed By Soda and...race fuel

According to the FB postings this morning, the kids thought it was s form of moonshine. A mix of the fuel and Mountain Dew.

Which brings up the question of who did it and gave it to the kids? Could we see a murder/manslaughter charge out of this?

• Moderators

According to the FB postings this morning, the kids thought it was s form of moonshine. A mix of the fuel and Mountain Dew.

Which brings up the question of who did it and gave it to the kids? Could we see a murder/manslaughter charge out of this?

I read the same thing.  You just hope it wasn't intentional but now you have to wonder.

Why is it some people will worry about GMO'S in their food and ask for purified water, but you tell them it's moonshine and they chug it by the gallon. This is why I don't drink or eat anything that didn't come from a trusted source. Sad story. Hopefully they find the idiot selling or giving this shit out and charge him with murder

Sent from behind the anvil

So did they think the race fuel was ethanol instead of gasoline? Perhaps it was home distilled fuel? Tragic indeed.

Might have been methanol fuel. You get a little methanol when distilling but you throw it out and it's a very small amount. Lots of drag racers use methanol fuel though, kids wouldn't know the difference

• Like 1
I hear you Spots. Moonshine is stupid...beyond stupid. The working temps are fairly narrow. Disaster is easier than success and for a LOT less $$ I can get something far stronger than 99% of the shiners out there can make (if that's the goal). AND you know the purity.

Might be different if you're doing it yourself or you really KNOW the person but to just buy the crap? Jeez, did we learn nothing from prohibition. Bathtub gin will kill you or blind you.

I hear you Spots. Moonshine is stupid...beyond stupid. The working temps are fairly narrow. Disaster is easier than success and for a LOT less $$ I can get something far stronger than 99% of the shiners out there can make (if that's the goal). AND you know the purity.

Might be different if you're doing it yourself or you really KNOW the person but to just buy the crap? Jeez, did we learn nothing from prohibition. Bathtub gin will kill you or blind you.

At one time the liquor that came from these mountains was the purest in the world. It was made by men who believed in craftsmanship, using old family recipes in all copper stills. Then prohibition hit, and suddenly America couldn't get enough alcohol. People with little idea of what they were doing built large sheet metal and wood submarine stills capable of cranking out hundreds of gallons a week of the sugar head popskull low grade whiskey. It became about profit and they started cutting the already cheap whiskey with chemicals to give it more kick, stuff like lye, acid, cow piss, etc etc. Home distilling has never recovered from that. With a good still and some time you can make some great liquor at home. Hell we have a thread here discussing it. But I've seen to many 5 gallon bucket prison stills and "moonshine" in plastic milk jugs to purchase anything through the good ol' boy network. It's a shame these kids turned to something that got them killed just because they were looking to get drunk.

• Like 1

Could there be a connection with that energy drink NOS getting in their heads?

I know on the opposite side of this spectrum, on one of the rice rocket sites I glanced through back when I was still riding, that a guy got lots of guffaws when he locked up his GXR1000 motor after putting the NOS energy drink in his tank.  Works both ways when your cognitives are set on slow......

They could have gotten it themselves. Some mapcos have a small pump for racing fuel. I don't know if it is any good but they have them.

Yeah, there are a couple of stations up in the Greenbrier area that have 110 because of Highland Rim. All it takes is one kid saying "race cars run on alcohol. I bet that 'racing fuel' they sell over there could get us drunk!" then the others follow along, mix some in with their Mt. Dew, and there you have it.

I'm sometimes amazed, but never shocked at the stupidity of people. When I was in high school, some kids were talking about the "jump method" for preventing pregnancy. After you're done doing your thing, the girl jumps up and down to shake the sperm down, then it can't get to where it needs to go. Effective, right? Never underestimate the stupidity of some people and the gullibility of others to follow along.

• Like 1

In high school I was trying to siphon gas from a car that I didn't drive, much to put into my main car and I accidentally swallowed some of it.  The car I was siphoning from was parked next to my dad's workshop and so I got in his refrigerator to get a swig of the water he always kept in a glass jar there.  Well, I grabbed the wrong jar and the smell of the gas was so strong that I didn't notice the smell of the white whiskey (white lightening) in the jar until I had taken a pretty good pull.  So, I accidentally drank gas and chased it with white lightening.  I then changed shirts because the one I had on smelled like an alcoholic mechanic had been wearing it and went to my after school job at White Stores.  Later that night I belched and one of my buddies who also worked there asked if I smelled gas.  I told him, "Yeah.  I belched."  He said, "No, not that kind of gas.  I mean gasoline," and so I explained to him why I was belching gasoline.  I can't imagine intentionally drinking the stuff nor - based on my unintentional taste test -  can I imagine confusing the taste of gasoline and white lightening or moonshine.  Then, again, I already knew what good white lightening and moonshine were supposed to taste like by that point.  Dad made and ran the stuff when he was in his late teens and early twenties so he knew the good stuff from the bad and whoever he used to get his from made the good stuff.

Edited by JAB

In high school I was trying to siphon gas from a car that I didn't drive, much to put into my main car and I accidentally swallowed some of it.  The car I was siphoning from was parked next to my dad's workshop and so I got in his refrigerator to get a swig of the water he always kept in a glass jar there.  Well, I grabbed the wrong jar and the smell of the gas was so strong that I didn't notice the smell of the white whiskey (white lightening) in the jar until I had taken a pretty good pull.  So, I accidentally drank gas and chased it with white lightening.  I then changed shirts because the one I had on smelled like an alcoholic mechanic had been wearing it and went to my after school job at White Stores.  Later that night I belched and one of my buddies who also worked there asked if I smelled gas.  I told him, "Yeah.  I belched."  He said, "No, not that kind of gas.  I mean gasoline," and so I explained to him why I was belching gasoline.  I can't imagine intentionally drinking the stuff nor - based on my unintentional taste test -  can I imagine confusing the taste of gasoline and white lightening or moonshine.  Then, again, I already knew what good white lightening and moonshine were supposed to taste like by that point.  Dad made and ran the stuff when he was in his late teens and early twenties so he knew the good stuff from the bad and whoever he used to get his from made the good stuff.

I just pictured some kid burping and it smelling like 93octane  :rofl: funny story.