Man with guns detained at Bellevue Baptist Church (Memphis)

R_Bert

"Why would you bring a weapon of any kind to the sanctuary on Ressurection Sunday?" questioned Emmanuel Cole

I case people bring weapons into the sanctuary to try to harm you, duh!  Mine was on me this morning in church.  Never go to church without it.

• Like 4

...but a church spokesperson said that no weapons are allowed on campus.

I have followed this story through the afternoon and evening, and I was surprised to see this quote. Fox 13 videoed some of the doors and pointed out repeatedly that it's not posted. None of the other outlets have report the gun ban, either.

If the pistol was in his pocket and the rifle in a backpack, I wonder how they knew he had guns. Was the butt sticking out of his pocket? Was the rifle not a "take down" and partially sticking out of the backpack? This is definitely an odd story. I wonder if we'll hear the rest of the story.

if he had a permit and the church was not posted then there should not be any charges filed against him.  The handgun I can understand.  I have one on me in the pulpit every Sunday.  The AR (or whatever it was) in his backpack might have been going a little overboard, but that does not mean it was illegal.  I have seen no indication that he was actually wanting to shoot anyone.  

• Like 2

Given the report the culprit was taken in for an emergency committal is a pretty strong indicator that theres a lot more to this story... I've a strong suspicion this fellow either has a previous history or was talking and acting bizzarly enough to elicit suspicions as to his safety and the safety of others.

....The AR (or whatever it was) in his backpack might have been going a little overboard, but that does not mean it was illegal.....

If it was a rifle, and loaded or he had ammo for it with him, it was indeed unlawful.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

If it was a rifle, and loaded or he had ammo for it with him, it was indeed unlawful.

- OS

OS is, as usual correct.  TCA 39-17-1307e provides a narrow exception for HCP holders, but only relates to transportation in a privately-owned vehicle.   

As much as I would LOVE to carry a rifle with me I am willing to forgo that so the open carry idiots don't ruin everything else. I can see them running around trying to grief people and in turn all the gains we have been making lately would be for naught. I have yet to see a open carry video where they are not acting antagonistic towards others, especially others who are asking questions. Wouldn't be so bad if they would answer "To protect you and me" when they are asked why they are open carrying but instead they are often cantankerous to those who question. I have been asked why I carry and I try explain to them why without being an ass. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

• Like 6

- OS

I stand corrected. I thought TN had open carry on long guns. I am not really a long gun aficianado, so I never really thought much about it. That makes me very disappointed with our state. The right to keep and bear arms should be just as applicable, if not more, to long guns as it is to handguns. I thought we had more respect for the Constitution than that in TN. Maybe I need to move to TX.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

As much as I would LOVE to carry a rifle with me I am willing to forgo that so the open carry idiots don't ruin everything else. I can see them running around trying to grief people and in turn all the gains we have been making lately would be for naught. I have yet to see a open carry video where they are not acting antagonistic towards others, especially others who are asking questions. Wouldn't be so bad if they would answer "To protect you and me" when they are asked why they are open carrying but instead they are often cantankerous to those who question. I have been asked why I carry and I try explain to them why without being an ass. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I agree that carrying a rifle is probably not the best idea, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal. In this country we should be free to be as imbecilic as we want as long as we don't violate the freedom of others.

(QUOTE) Donald told police that people in society are a threat to him and he must be vigilant.

That statement he made would have been more than enough to have him sent for a mental evaluation in MHO.......... :stare:

By that measure half of us here would be undergoing mental evaluation.
  • Moderators

I stand corrected. I thought TN had open carry on long guns. I am not really a long gun aficianado, so I never really thought much about it. That makes me very disappointed with our state. The right to keep and bear arms should be just as applicable, if not more, to long guns as it is to handguns. I thought we had more respect for the Constitution than that in TN. Maybe I need to move to TX.

TX isn't all that great either. Edited by CZ9MM
I am not saying this guy isn't insane or that he should have carried an AR into the church; but Bellevue Baptist is a very large congregation that would make a prime target for a terror attack, especially on Easter Sunday. I can understand why he might be a little wary.

Texas is not that great as far as carry.  There are quite a few places you can't legally carry a gun there.

It sounds like the guy at the church in Memphis had some sort of mental issue if he was being taken for evaluation.  It's kind of sad for something like that to happen on Easter.  There's got to be more to this story than what the media is reporting.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Moderators

Texas is not that great as far as carry. There are quite a few places you can't legally carry a gun there.

Like every single Pilot and Flying J in the state. They all use the very large 30.06 signs to prohibit carry in them.

I am not saying this guy isn't insane or that he should have carried an AR into the church; but Bellevue Baptist is a very large congregation that would make a prime target for a terror attack, especially on Easter Sunday. I can understand why he might be a little wary.

Bellevue is large, but several churches in Knoxville & Nashville are about the same in attendance (~5000 - 7000 avg weekly).  The large one I attend would watch carefully, but unless provoked, not invoke the Sherriff's officers on scene (who are contracted to provide off-duty uniformed security via local SD).

I have noted a OC, and the occasional "peek-a-boo viewing", and -

I would not be surprised at all to learn of several folder-rifles & AR/or AK pistols in backpacks in attendance during our services.   

Hopefully, as several have noted, the detention was far more than just the carry aspect.

and just posted on FB -

(remember... it's Facebook......)

Brothers and Sisters,

If you aren't going armed to church yet, you might want to start doing so...and keep an extra eye on any churches in your jurisdictions while you and/or your people are on duty. Nut jobs and terrorists are increasingly interested and motivated in targeting our churches (and schools) to make their "statements".

Be alert and be safe!

Scott O.

TLETOA East Tennessee Chaplain
Captain Scott S. Ogrodowczyk, GDI

Signal Mountain Police Department
1111 Ridgeway Avenue
Signal Mountain, TN 37377
423-886-2124, ext. 203
423-886-2137 (fax)

423-551-0571 (cell)
scotto@signalmountaintn.gov
Subject: ****Bolo for all Churches****

To all,

From Johnathan Parker:

I received a call from the Pastors at Metro Tabernacle (2101 W Shepherd Rd 37421; corner of Hwy 153/Shepherd Rd) where we also hold Cop Church services. At their worship service tonight 1900-2000hrs, a suspicious male (photo) came into the church and was overheard talking on the phone in the lobby. He is reported as saying he was "checking out security and seeing what we're up against." He was also observed counting fire exits.

When confronted by church security personnel, he made statements about evil, the prophets, and other "super spiritual" statements. He was observed leaving in the pictured white 2000 Chevy 4D sedan with VA tag VGU3498.

Mark A. Smeltzer
Lieutenant
Delta Team Commander
Chattanooga Police Department

3410 Amnicola Hwy. | Chattanooga, TN 37406

(C) 423-432-6596

smeltzer_m@chattanooga.gov |Chattanooga.gov

Edited by R_Bert
I didn't expect to see this detailed of an account. As I thought, part of the handgun was protruded from his pocket. I wonder if we'll hear any more about this. It is suspicious that he would run toward the sanctuary after the security director called for help. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/crime/bellevue-man-was-legally-armed-officials-say-2f21532b-bd88-3a02-e053-0100007ffaf4-373765921.html

According to the man's mother, he is allegedly a mental patient.  Also, the pic at the bottom of the article makes me wonder if he had a disassembled AR rifle or an AR pistol.  Not that the media would know the difference. 

http://wreg.com/2016/03/28/man-armed-with-rifle-and-gun-arrested-at-bellevue-baptist-church-easter-service/

Edited by deerslayer

According to the man's mother, he is allegedly a mental patient. Also, the pic at the bottom of the article makes me wonder if he had a disassembled AR rifle or an AR pistol. Not that the media would know the difference.

http://wreg.com/2016/03/28/man-armed-with-rifle-and-gun-arrested-at-bellevue-baptist-church-easter-service/

You would hope the police would report which it was accurately, but that might be too much to ask, too. I certainly didn't see a stock, so I would guess it's a pistol. But, as you noted, it's hard to rule out a disassembled rifle without a better view.