Scary Incident Last Night

KahrMan

He violated the law (although not aggravated assault); she didn’t. Sounds like the cops used their discretion on him carrying a rifle; that’s okay. I don’t know why the cops would tell her to go see the detectives. In Tennessee do detectives or the DA decided on charges? Where I was our Command Officers would have told us to do a report and forward it to the DA to see if they wanted to pursue it.

As far as approaching the guy with weapons drawn; that would be standard procedure. Three cops in Baton Rouge (and many others in other places) are dead because they didn’t take a man with a gun call seriously.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Again, public road?

For all he knew she broke down, was lost, or simply talking on the cell phone to reduce distracted driving.

A person shouldn't have to worry about being confronted with a rifle pointed in your general direction just for stopping in a parking lot at night.

Also, if the power was out to the area, wasn't her fault. To me the fact the power was out changes nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

He violated the law (although not aggravated assault); she didn’t. Sounds like the cops used their discretion on him carrying a rifle; that’s okay. I don’t know why the cops would tell her to go see the detectives. In Tennessee do detectives or the DA decided on charges? Where I was our Command Officers would have told us to do a report and forward it to the DA to see if they wanted to pursue it.

Sounds like the only difference is the patrol offices give their report to a detective.  The detective finds out any other information he can and then he forwards it on to the DA.  The patrol officer said they forward anything with a gun or that is a more serious crime to a detective first.

2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Had the man been wearing a badge, the lady would have likely never blinked an eye.

Had the man been wearing a badge, snuck up on a person breaking no laws, and intimidated her with a firearm and a vague threat about "protecting the neighborhood" without some other extenuating information, that would be a person soon to be not wearing a badge.

• Like 1

Somebody with a rifle doesn't scare me. Doesn't even make me nervous by itself. Somebody with poor muzzle discipline makes me nervous, but doesn't scare me. Somebody aiming a rifle at me with an intent to shoot scares me. The first two are stupid. The third is criminal. 

• Like 2

IF the guy had some concern for the lady....different story; 'Ma'am, are you OK?.  Can I help you?,"  combined with muzzle discipline.  IMO, if the guy is 'on patrol' he is totally in the wrong.  He is not the police, stay tight make a call to the local PD.  I think that if we put ourselves in the woman's place this has the potential to be a very serious problem for someone.

3 hours ago, glowdotGlock said:

It doesn't really sound like he did anything illegal if he didn't threaten her with the rifle....

We can assume the rifle was loaded, so it was illegal carrying of a firearm under 39-17-1307)

3 hours ago, TGO David said:

He could have easily been arrested for brandishing a weapon.  Probably should have been.

We don't have a "brandishing" law, would have to rise to level of aggravated assault to be a crime in that regard. But you can't tote a loaded long gun in public in this state period.

- OS

7 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

We don't have a "brandishing" law, would have to rise to level of aggravated assault to be a crime in that regard. But you can't tote a loaded long gun in public in this state period.

- OS

Well... you can. You just risk arrest. All kinds of laws, including what you can't do with your girlfriend. They may, or most likely may not lock you up for being a dumbass.

Edited by mikegideon
2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

On a somewhat lighter note, I was locked out of my house because I went for a walk before the power went out. My wife and I had gone for a walk in the neighborhood and I only took the garage door remote with me. Oops. Lesson learned.

Were you carrying an AR and participating in the neighborhood watch? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Had the man been wearing a badge, snuck up on a person breaking no laws, and intimidated her with a firearm and a vague threat about "protecting the neighborhood" without some other extenuating information, that would be a person soon to be not wearing a badge.

It appears we no longer have the B.S. emoticon. This would have been a perfect place for it.

9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There it is! I don't have it.

When you open the emoticon menu there is a space to look them up by typing, Simply type : and that will open them all up to you since it is a part of all the code.

• Like 1

Also, please apologize to your neighbor. I surely didn't mean to scare anyone, maybe I came off a little strong, but you have to have a solid command presence when you are engaging in perimeter security like that.

I figured she would feel safe after I left knowing we were watching out for the good people of the culdesac.

• Like 4

I'll go ahead and say it: sitting in an idle car in front of someone's house talking on the phone is highly shady and suspicious in this day and age.

BTW, I am in no way defending what that guy allegedly did.  He may just need some kind of counseling.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

I see no wrong in parking on the side of the road to take a phone call. What the MWAG did was going too far, that would have been an excellent use of the police and a phone call would have been more than sufficient.

There is a church across the street from my house and cars seem to think it's a great parking spot. I keep a close eye when I see a car over there, but have never approached one. Some sit 5-10 minutes, there was one that was there for hours running with driver in it facing my house. He posed no immediate threat to me so I called the cops to have him checked out and ask that he not park there. I didn't put myself in danger, driver wasn't startled, situation was diffused.

Guy in the OP probably doesn't need to be charged with anything, but his actions were stupid and could have had consequences had the OP's wife been carrying and drew her firearm out of fear. Both could have shot and injured or killed one or both. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, TrickyNicky said:

When you open the emoticon menu there is a space to look them up by typing, Simply type : and that will open them all up to you since it is a part of all the code.

This alone was worth reading entire thread.  Thanks. 

Seriously?  With the climate today how else are they supposed to answer a man-with-a-gun call?  Personally I would be surprised if they answered any other way.  My guess is nothing will come of it because there was no crime committed.

This. If you walk down any street in the country with a rifle nowadays, you best expect that the police are going to respond.