Pics of new Glock 17 M are out

Erik88

11 hours ago, raildog said:

What y'all don't get excited when the new Tupperware comes out? Lol

I can only stand a certain number of Glocks. I'm over my mandated limit now.

Actually, as much as I like the lighter weight poly guns, I find now that few of them excite me much any more. I seem to be headed back to steel, or at least aluminum framed guns.

You really don't know how much this surprises me.  

31 minutes ago, hipower said:

Actually, as much as I like the lighter weight poly guns, I find now that few of them excite me much any more. I seem to be headed back to steel, or at least aluminum framed guns.

You really don't know how much this surprises me.  

I completely understand that.  I have divided my handguns into two categories.  Plastic striker guns for carry/possible defense situations and metal single action types for range fun.  I'll probably only get one or two more plastics, but there are lots of all metal guns I want.  Plastic=tool.  Metal=fun.  Maybe that's not what your granddad would have said, but such is the state of the modern firearm.

(Funny enough, my Dad's Dad was Pilgrim Holiness, and pretty much a pacifist.  He wasn't an idiot though, and had a 38 that no one knew about until after he passed away and Grandma found it.  She was LIVID!)

Edited by musicman
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

the new ones have already been recalled. I use that term loosely as we know Glock calls them a voluntary recall.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/19/breaking-glock-17m-recalled-police-department/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

For years Glock fought the “Don’t dry fire” mindset. It was for marketing reasons. They knew Tactical Tommy wanted to dry fire his handgun for hours on end at the TV set; so they said it was okay. I talked with a factory gunsmith for another manufacturer about the issue. He said they were following suit and saying you could dry fire, and if you broke your gun they would fix it. That’s how marketing works.

I notice that Glock has now added the following statement to their FAQ’s.

Can I dry fire my Glock pistol? 
It is ok to dry fire your Glock pistol, but in situations where the pistol will be subjected to continuous sessions of dry firing, the use of a snap cap or dummy round is recommended.

Those of us that are familiar with machining and metallurgy have known this for decades. And we have been okay with it. It seems some of the younger generation wants what they want and as long as they can find some one that will tell them it okay; they are good to go.

Maybe with this problem they will come up with a handgun that is actually designed around dry firing.

For Glock to change their policy and put that on their website should tell those of you that like to dry fire something.

Or not...... continue on. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

Glock seems to be the whipping boy in the gun world and I used to be one of the main critics.  I've really come around from being a critic.  I don't own one and probably won't get one as I've committed to the S&W M&P line.  Having said that, the Glock is the weapon of choice for an awful lot of folks that put themselves in harms way for a living.

Glock picks a few things to focus on, like reliability, and that's all they focus on.  

Someone commented on changing the grip angle.  I agree that the John Brownings grip angle is best for me.  Having said that, Glock is Austrian.  Austria is very German like. The Glock has the angle that the luger had.  I'm guessing that they take that as a point of national pride and don't look to see that change.

At the end of the day, I don't think Glock fans should ever have to defend their weapon of choice.  It simply performs too well for its intended purpose.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pete123 said:

Glock seems to be the whipping boy in the gun world and I used to be one of the main critics.  I've really come around from being a critic.  I don't own one and probably won't get one as I've committed to the S&W M&P line.  Having said that, the Glock is the weapon of choice for an awful lot of folks that put themselves in harms way for a living.

Glock picks a few things to focus on, like reliability, and that's all they focus on.  

Someone commented on changing the grip angle.  I agree that the John Brownings grip angle is best for me.  Having said that, Glock is Austrian.  Austria is very German like. The Glock has the angle that the luger had.  I'm guessing that they take that as a point of national pride and don't look to see that change.

At the end of the day, I don't think Glock fans should ever have to defend their weapon of choice.  It simply performs too well for its intended purpose.

I don’t think Glock is the whipping boy of the gun industry; some of the owners are, but they made that choice for themselves. They don’t think there is any choice other than Glock. That’s fine for them, but many of us (like me) wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock for free if we had to keep it.

They became as big as they are because they were cheap and had higher capacity. They weren’t bothered with things like safeties that worked or accuracy.

U.S. manufacturers didn’t jump on the cheap Tupperware gun market for years. Their first attempts were not good. Now that they have; they will dominate it and give us what we want. Glock can stay where they are and die.

I have several M&P’s. In my opinion their quality surpasses a Glock. But to me they are tools; carry guns. They certainly aren’t my favorite guns to shoot and no Tupperware gun would be my choice for accuracy.

[Mark Cuban Voice ON] It’s good to see Glock has moved to whatever iteration of the same old song this is, but ……I’m out [Mark Cuban Voice OFF]

biggrin.gif

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t think Glock is the whipping boy of the gun industry; some of the owners are, but they made that choice for themselves. They don’t think there is any choice other than Glock. That’s fine for them, but many of us (like me) wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock for free if we had to keep it.

They became as big as they are because they were cheap and had higher capacity. They weren’t bothered with things like safeties that worked or accuracy.

U.S. manufacturers didn’t jump on the cheap Tupperware gun market for years. Their first attempts were not good. Now that they have; they will dominate it and give us what we want. Glock can stay where they are and die.

I have several M&P’s. In my opinion their quality surpasses a Glock. But to me they are tools; carry guns. They certainly aren’t my favorite guns to shoot and no Tupperware gun would be my choice for accuracy.

[Mark Cuban Voice ON] It’s good to see Glock has moved to whatever iteration of the same old song this is, but ……I’m out [Mark Cuban Voice OFF]

biggrin.gif

Damn :)   The plastic guns reduce weight. That's all. I have plenty of metal guns. I carry the plastic ones because they are light. I wind up doing more carrying than I do shooting. 

3 hours ago, KKing said:

What are you thinking?

Something less aggressive.  I'm not an operator.  I don't wear gloves when I shoot.  I have cracks and cuts in my hands. The gen 4 texture SUCKS for me.  Its painful.  I don't have a problem holding on to gen 3s so something like that would be fine for me. 

Something less aggressive.  I'm not an operator.  I don't wear gloves when I shoot.  I have cracks and cuts in my hands. The gen 4 texture SUCKS for me.  Its painful.  I don't have a problem holding on to gen 3s so something like that would be fine for me. 

Got ya. Didn't know if maybe there was another brand you wanted them to model it after or something. I agree though. Gen 4's screw my hands up if I take an actual course with them and fire for an extended amount of time.
1 hour ago, KKing said:

Got ya. Didn't know if maybe there was another brand you wanted them to model it after or something. I agree though. Gen 4's screw my hands up if I take an actual course with them and fire for an extended amount of time.

31 minutes ago, Garufa said:

They should model it after their own Gen 2....Perfection.

I don't even mind the finger grooves that everyone else hates.  I just don't need grips that dig into my already terribly cracked and cut hands.  And the 2 (which I have) and 3 are much better in that regard for me.