school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

The only way to stop mass violence against innocent people is to make the punishment so terrible that it horrifies the wicked and the innocent. I must be inescapable by the death of the person or people who would inflict it on others. It's use would have to be unthinkable to the left or the right. 

11 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Well, I would hope that sensible red flag laws would be implemented, if they were. Any Tom Dick of Harry shouldn’t be able to flag someone. (I’m not hopeful they this is what will happen). 

Problem is there's already hundreds of "sensible" gun laws on the books & they're never enough. There's always a new law or bill to destroy our Constitutional rights.

The anti's want guns gone, period.

Those that would give up freedom for security deserve neither.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Well, I would hope that sensible red flag laws would be implemented, if they were. Any Tom Dick of Harry shouldn’t be able to flag someone. (I’m not hopeful they this is what will happen). 

It will be used as a wepon against "us" until we are able to use it as a wepon against "them". No side should be able to use it against the other. It will do little against the ones the laws intended target. Of course the news will trot you out in front of the camera a say "See.....the law prevented a mass killing". You will be left to prove your innocents. You my even do so after "They" allow you to prove that you're not crazy. 

11 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

The only way to stop mass violence against innocent people is to make the punishment so terrible that it horrifies the wicked and the innocent.

How do you punish a mass shooter who gets killed by police or dies by suicide? 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

The only way to stop mass violence against innocent people is to make the punishment so terrible that it horrifies the wicked and the innocent. I must be inescapable by the death of the person or people who would inflict it on others. It's use would have to be unthinkable to the left or the right. 

That might work on one out of 100 but if you look at the end results if the police don't kill them they take their own lives so their end goal is death anyway.

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You simply must have some semblance of decorum, civility, and rules, or else the Capitol would be reduced to a zoo exhibit.

The movie “Idiocracy” rings truer each day.

I agree, but this is the same body that has allegedly allowed pedos to remain seated and when the public makes comparisons, the removal of the two young men appeared excessive. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

How could they not know about all the other ones she had while living in the same house with them? 

Very simple. No one really knows how many guns I own, regardless what I tell them or what they think they know.  That’s the quickest way to help someone disarm you. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I agree but maybe if her parents would have been concerned enough with her having the one they knew about and reported it the police might have found more and been able to prevent her from buying more.  Maybe, just maybe the school shooting could have been prevented.

Getting treatment for mental illness and being a threat to others are two different things. She was legally allowed to purchase firearms. Her actions were illegal.

There’s no way I’m notifying the police on a family member who hasn’t made threats or broken the law.  I fear the call would be mishandled. 

• Like 3

As far as the girl's parents, I'm guessing they didn't know squat. They didn't want to know. They probably tried to help her in the beginning, but eventually became frustrated and just gave up. They may have been afraid of her.  But she was their daughter. So they gave her food and a place to live and then just stayed out of her way  They didn't bother to check up on her anymore. They no longer wanted the trouble. 

I saw this several times when I was a Boy Scout leader. It was usually a single Mom.  They would bring us their son and say "I can't do a thing with him. I give up. Here, you give it a try"

5 hours ago, Defender said:

I believe that their whole performance, and performance is exactly what it was, was solely motivated by an attempt to make themselves  look good to their party.

That pretty much sums up every speech, bill, and action of all politicians these days ...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I agree, they should have been more vigilant about why she had a gun in the first place knowing she had mental issues and took more interest in what she was doing.

I could be mistake, but I think that's the gist of the problem, the people who could deny her from buying guns didn't know she had mental issues and the people that knew she had mental issues didn't know she was buying guns. Unless I'm mistaken, this is where the disconnect lies. We gotta find a way to join these 2 sides of the equation w/out trampling on innocent peoples' rights.

• Like 3

It is my understanding that they are a strong Christian family. Maybe that was one of the issues because she felt an outsider in her own family.  

I grieve for them. They lost their oldest child and can’t grieve for her without I’m sure feeling guilt for the families she destroyed and lives she disrupted. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Links2k said:

I agree, but this is the same body that has allegedly allowed pedos to remain seated and when the public makes comparisons, the removal of the two young men appeared excessive. 

Pretty much all politicians suck when you get right down to it, wouldn’t you agree?

• Like 5
5 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Ok, I have a question that is related about the shooter and not politics. How many folks here think that the parents of the shooter know a lot more than they are letting on to what they really knew. They knew she was emotionally disturbed and admitted to that  and they said he did own a gun but said she sold it. How could they not know about all the other ones she had while living in the same house with them? Also if she had the one she sold how did she purchase it in the first place with her mental issues?

If she’d had decent parents, we most likely wouldn’t be having this discussion.

1 hour ago, Links2k said:

Very simple. No one really knows how many guns I own, regardless what I tell them or what they think they know.  That’s the quickest way to help someone disarm you. 

LOL! I have no idea how many guns I own. I wouldn’t be surprised if you weren’t in the same boat.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If she’d had decent parents, we most likely wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I have both a son and a daughter that age. I'm not sure I believe it's possible to know everything they do or everything they're capable of. I don't think either would harm a fly, but if they did, I don't think it'd mean I wasn't a decent parent.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

Looking at the warning signs that were exhibited prior to an incident like this is useful for learning how to be vigilant for them in your life, and the lives of those in your circle. Attempting to place blame on folks who do not have overt actions to caused them to share responsibility, like the parents in Michigan, serves no value. Her family was made a victim of her actions, just like the families of everyone involved with covenant. Not in the same way, but victims nonetheless and still deserving of compassion.

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Looking at the warning signs that were exhibited prior to an incident like this is useful for learning how to be vigilant for them in your life, and the lives of those in your circle. Attempting to place blame on folks who do not have overt actions to caused them to share responsibility, like the parents in Michigan, serves no value. Her family was made a victim of her actions, just like the families of everyone involved with covenant. Not in the same way, but victims nonetheless and still deserving of compassion.

You're right about that. They day this all came out, I said a prayer for her parents too, because they're in the same boat. Regardless of her evil, her mom and dad are suffering as much as the other parents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2