Lamb chops

gregintenn

I was just talking less than two minutes ago how lamb is by far my favorite meat. The price is ridiculously expensive for decent cuts. Just polished off two lbs of lollipops. Costco sells a rack of lamb (lollipops) or shoulder usually on sale for $30. It’s enough for two people to feast. They also sell “spears” (I forget what  ut it actually is) which I think is the vertebrae. Those bones will make the best broth that is unbelievably rich, I save all my white and dark meat bones and even ask for the leg bones off of deer at the processor to make bone broth for my dog. Crack them open, broil them for an hour to get the extra cartridge or collagen activated, drop em in a pot with vegetable trims and make some stock. Good for hearty stews and cheap tough cuts. 

If you go to some of the markets off of Charlotte since there’s a high influx of Egyptian and Kurd population you can get decent pricing on cuts of lamb/goat, goat is a bit gamier. They serve it traditionally with a mint sugar jelly which isn’t for me but is tasty. 

Marinade:Worcestershire, dry red, garlic rose Mary and thyme overnight. Either grill em high 3 minutes on each side  or broil them basting constantly. 

Maybe too much information, but I absolutely love lamb. It’s a great date night meal for a special occasion and pairs nice w/ a Pinot noir if you’re into that. 

• Like 3

Chops great,rack of lamb even better. You baste it before and during cooking with your mix or store bought. With family from Europe I passed on the Haggis,cow tongue,blood pudding,pickled pigs feet and other delicacy.

• Like 1

I grew up eating neck bones (pork) and potatoes.  My mom and dad struggled to make ends meet, and back then you could buy 10 pounds of taters and 5 pounds of neck bones dirt cheap.  Cook up a large back of pinto beans and make cornbread, and we ate well for a week!

I still love neck bones and taters today!

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

The only lamb I’ve ever eaten is  combined with beef, and served gyros style.  I could eat them things everyday the rest of my life.

Never had neck bones, but love lamb.  Had it Gyros and also in England in Shepherds Pie.

I grew up mostly eating what I was able to hunt so wild game was on the menu quit often. My mother was a great a cook and she made what ever I bagged and cleaned taste great. I guess my favorite was snapping turtle. It could be prepared several different ways and I liked all of them. It's been years since I have had any but I can still remember how good it was. I have never had Lamb.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I marinated these in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, sea salt and coarse ground black pepper, then grilled to med rare. I believe the fresh rosemary is what really made it work.

Daaaaang, that sounds good! 

I've only had lamb shank and gyro meat. I've always wanted to try the chops.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I grew up mostly eating what I was able to hunt so wild game was on the menu quit often. My mother was a great a cook and she made what ever I bagged and cleaned taste great. I guess my favorite was snapping turtle. It could be prepared several different ways and I liked all of them. It's been years since I have had any but I can still remember how good it was. I have never had Lamb.

A local church has a wild game dinner every year Bison. Dove  Turtle. Ect  I haven’t found anything  I would put on regular menu but I enjoy trying new things 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Have you ever had groundhog? Just about everybody laughs when I ask, but my dad would parboil it, shred it, and put BBQ sauce on it and finish it in the oven. Tasted delicious, but not near as good as lamb. 😄

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I’ve always wanted to try snapping turtle, but after seeing what their jaws could do to a stick, I just haven’t had the courage to get close enough to one to eat it. I wouldn’t know how to get it out of the shell anyway.

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, BigK said:

Have you ever had groundhog? Just about everybody laughs when I ask, but my dad would parboil it, shred it, and put BBQ sauce on it and finish it in the oven. Tasted delicious, but not near as good as lamb. 😄

I have two up at barn if anyone wants to try them. You take them off property and I will give you BBQ sauce lol 

• Haha 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, BigK said:

When I was in survival school - I remember the instructor telling us that a raccoon would feed a grown man for a week in the wild.  We all turned up our noses at it.

A week later when we snared one in the field after subsisting on whatever we could fine - you would've thought they were serving prime ribeyes.

--

I have a friend who raised sheep for years for meat.  He said they were about as low maintenance as livestock could be, significantly cheaper to finish than cows, and they kept the grass around the back of the house mowed.

He said the biggest thing you had to keep in mind was "cattle not pets" - but if you could get past that it was a really great source of good protein.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Sleep profit said:

I have two up at barn if anyone wants to try them. You take them off property and I will give you BBQ sauce lol 

The hardest thing about multiple groundhogs is you only get one shot before the lot of them disappear.  If you've got two - you need to bring a friend.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

When I was in survival school - I remember the instructor telling us that a raccoon would feed a grown man for a week in the wild.  We all turned up our noses at it.

A week later when we snared one in the field after subsisting on whatever we could fine - you would've thought they were serving prime ribeyes.

--

I have a friend who raised sheep for years for meat.  He said they were about as low maintenance as livestock could be, significantly cheaper to finish than cows, and they kept the grass around the back of the house mowed.

He said the biggest thing you had to keep in mind was "cattle not pets" - but if you could get past that it was a really great source of good protein.

Sheep will pull grass out of the ground, including the roots, like a horse. I guess that’s ok if you have a 5 acre mini farm and enjoy reseeding often. I believe friend mis-informed you on this.