Any way to get the last 5 lbs off. LOL

Alleycat72

I've lost a bit of weight this year a the last 5 are killing me. In the Last 3 days I've done 20 miles on foot and 3 hours on the waight machines. I do a minimum of 35 miles every 2 weeks period. Gym on off days. On work days I'll do 120 push ups and 150 arm curls with two 25 lib dumbbells. Work days will sometimes get a 3 mile walk when I get home. I work 12 hours days, but only 80 hours per two week period, so I get as many off days as work days. I try and kayak at least 10 mile every 2 weeks.  

I had a system of eating that was working until now. Day 1 = 650 cal, day 2 = 850 cal, day 3 = 1000-1050 cal, day 4 =1250 cal, and day 5 = 1750 cal. After day 5 I started over. I've gotten to the point I can't jeep it up. By day 3 I get dizzy and start eating. It ends up being a 2300 cal day. My calorie intake is anywhere between 1250 and 2000 cal a day now. The majority of the days being in the 1700-1900. 

I'm 5' 9" 180 now. I've always felt my best at 174-175, but I just turned 50. Am I being unrealistic? I do feel stronger and healthier now than I did when I was 25. I just want that 175 damn number. LOL

Edited by Alleycat72
  • Alleycat72 changed the title to Any way to get the last 5 lbs off. LOL

I’ve got a bad back, trying to avoid getting fused up. I need to be diligent about my weight as a difference of 15-20 lbs I can feel and I’ve found something that works for me. 

I’ve done keto on and off for the better part of 6 years. It’s not for everyone, you have to weigh out things in the beginning and it’s boring and restrictive. Basically minimal sugar, alcohol, and gluten gives me less inflammation. 

If you fast for 48 hours you’re starting ketosis. Once every two months or so I do a three day fast where I just drink coffee water maybe some bone broth or stock and sodium/mag. I plan the days when I have no social commitments and off work. 

If you’re only trying to hit a number on a scale, you’ll drop 5 lbs in water weight when you go into keto and your glycogen storages empty. If you eat just meat, cheese, leafy greens handfuls of nuts and fruit and can keep your net carbs under 30-50 grams per day for a month you’ll drop 10lbs easily. Once you go back to eating a standard American diet you’ll gain the water weight you lose. 

Im 6’0, weight has ranged from 160-210. I try to keep it in the 170 -175 range. If I notice I’m getting thin I step on a scale and will increase calories. I’ve been doing it long enough I don’t have to weigh out anything. I also work a labor intensive job and I don’t count calories as I’m on my feet 60 hours a week. I won’t think twice about going to BWW and smashing back a Cobb salad and 30 wings with a couple diet cokes. That being said the diet is boring, i don’t tell anyone I do keto because I don’t want to hear their opinions, and I’ve got a sweet tooth that’s insatiable. Every couple months I’ll take a weekend off for a wedding or holiday and gorge myself, but I feel the inflammation immediately after. 

You also do a lot more actual working out than I do, but if you stick w it for 30 days you’ll drop 10 lbs and then gain 3-4 back in water weight and just have to count calories in and out. It’s not for everyone, don’t want to sound preachy, I don’t tell anyone anything other than I eat clean and am trying to prolong my back but it works for me to not feel like I’m 90 getting out of bed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I’ve got a bad back, trying to avoid getting fused up. I need to be diligent about my weight as a difference of 15-20 lbs I can feel and I’ve found something that works for me. 

I’ve done keto on and off for the better part of 6 years. It’s not for everyone, you have to weigh out things in the beginning and it’s boring and restrictive. Basically minimal sugar, alcohol, and gluten gives me less inflammation. 

If you fast for 48 hours you’re starting ketosis. Once every two months or so I do a three day fast where I just drink coffee water maybe some bone broth or stock and sodium/mag. I plan the days when I have no social commitments and off work. 

If you’re only trying to hit a number on a scale, you’ll drop 5 lbs in water weight when you go into keto and your glycogen storages empty. If you eat just meat, cheese, leafy greens handfuls of nuts and fruit and can keep your net carbs under 30-50 grams per day for a month you’ll drop 10lbs easily. Once you go back to eating a standard American diet you’ll gain the water weight you lose. 

Im 6’0, weight has ranged from 160-210. I try to keep it in the 170 -175 range. If I notice I’m getting thin I step on a scale and will increase calories. I’ve been doing it long enough I don’t have to weigh out anything. I also work a labor intensive job and I don’t count calories as I’m on my feet 60 hours a week. I won’t think twice about going to BWW and smashing back a Cobb salad and 30 wings with a couple diet cokes. That being said the diet is boring, i don’t tell anyone I do keto because I don’t want to hear their opinions, and I’ve got a sweet tooth that’s insatiable. Every couple months I’ll take a weekend off for a wedding or holiday and gorge myself, but I feel the inflammation immediately after. 

You also do a lot more actual working out than I do, but if you stick w it for 30 days you’ll drop 10 lbs and then gain 3-4 back in water weight and just have to count calories in and out. It’s not for everyone, don’t want to sound preachy, I don’t tell anyone anything other than I eat clean and am trying to prolong my back but it works for me to not feel like I’m 90 getting out of bed. 

Problem is, I've dropped 46.6 lbs this year. All the easy waight is gone. I have no illusions my eating is the issue I've gained about 10 lbs of muscle in that time. My Wife stress bakes. I'm not blaming her, but we have a bit of stress due to kids. I'm the problem. Stress makes me want to drink whisky or eat. I'm trying to make that the gym my go to. At this point I'm either working out or I have a cookie she's cooked. I'm starting to get friends committing about the amount of time I spend exercising. 

• Thanks 1

I always chuckle when friends comment on the time spent in the gym or the fact that you’re eating clean. That’s when they show the time to show concern.  No one says anything when anyone goes for seconds at the party… 

Congrats on the massive weight loss. You should be ecstatic. Don’t listen to outsiders. Maybe if you’re able to, do a dry “month” after thanksgiving until Christmas Eve? I get it, it’s very hard. When I balloon up it’s typically because I enjoy watching hockey in the winter and the loss of daylight affects me.  A sixer of Guinness is a lot of empty calories during a 2.5 hour game. 

I don’t have any easy weight to lose myself, I’ve come to grips with the fact that I’ll always have a little pooch unless I try to hit the gym hard. Like I tell the lady, you can find a guy with abs or you can find a guy that’s funny, stable, kind and like-minded. You’re re doing awesome. You’re building muscle which is the most important thing. Don’t sweat the scale, listen to how your body feels. Wish I had your dedication to working out. 

Your calorie requirements drop as you lose weight. The lighter you get, the lower your maintenance calories are. 

I'd dial back the cardio a bit and reduce a couple hundred calories per day. 

That said, I sure wish I could lose 20 lbs.  My excuses are too much stress and not enough time. 

Just do a colonoscopy prep. That’ll get rid of those last 5 pounds. I remember 180. I could run a consistent 7 minute mile but I’m now a little over 65 and after repelling everything I could get a rope over or out of and learning to drive, and crashing , high performance motorcycles. I’m now at 275, 1 slipped disc, 1 ruptured disc and  knee replacement coming soon along with producing kidney stones like they had value to them I don’t do much of that anymore. I’m proud of you, keep it up for us old farts. 

6 minutes ago, derf said:

Just do a colonoscopy prep. That’ll get rid of those last 5 pounds. I remember 180. I could run a consistent 7 minute mile but I’m now a little over 65 and after repelling everything I could get a rope over or out of and learning to drive, and crashing , high performance motorcycles. I’m now at 275, 1 slipped disc, 1 ruptured disc and  knee replacement coming soon along with producing kidney stones like they had value to them I don’t do much of that anymore. I’m proud of you, keep it up for us old farts. 

8 years ago when we adopted the 3 little ones, I was 165 lbs and didn't have gray hair. LOL 

I looked bad at 165. Kinda sickly. 174 is a healthy weight for me. BMI is so out of date. 

• Admin Team

There’s an old saying that abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.  I know you’re not going for a six pack - but you may have found yourself in the same territory.  

You’re likely going to need to eat your way into the last few pounds - and take this from an athlete at almost 50 - calorie restriction probably isn’t working for you right now.  

I think your calorie intake is actually probably way too low for that level of activity.  You may be tricking your body into a starvation mode and unconsciously derailing yourself.

Fixing it is likely to look a little different than it would have when you were 35.  You could eat whatever you wanted then and it didn’t matter. Now, you’re going to have to be specific about your inputs - and they’re going to need to be good ones. For me, that looks like smaller meals, enough protein, and good hydration. On protein, I find a meal replacement shake (Ripple chocolate ftw) is a great way to supplement easily during a busy day.

Good luck.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

There’s an old saying that abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.  I know you’re not going for a six pack - but you may have found yourself in the same territory.  

You’re likely going to need to eat your way into the last few pounds - and take this from an athlete at almost 50 - calorie restriction probably isn’t working for you right now.  

I think your calorie intake is actually probably way too low for that level of activity.  You may be tricking your body into a starvation mode and unconsciously derailing yourself.

Fixing it is likely to look a little different than it would have when you were 35.  You could eat whatever you wanted then and it didn’t matter. Now, you’re going to have to be specific about your inputs - and they’re going to need to be good ones. For me, that looks like smaller meals, enough protein, and good hydration. On protein, I find a meal replacement shake (Ripple chocolate ftw) is a great way to supplement easily during a busy day.

Good luck.

This is what I'm afraid of. I've hit starvation mode about 3 times while losing weight this time. No loss for 3 weeks. Normally I'd go have a really big high calorie meal one night. I'd wake up 2 lbs lighter. I hit 176 a few months ago and decided to try and eat normal. This ended up with my waight stabilizing at 180-181. I've got to figure out how to eat at this stage in my life. I haven't had fast food for a year.  I will get a Jersey mike's mini 7 without cheese, but it's in the 350 cal range. I think the gotcha calories are what's derailing me. I'm a sucker for The pizza place pizza.  My Wife brings it home and I'm toast. We are starting a policy of "Hide all the good stuff from daddy ".  Maybe that'll fix it. LOL

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

This is what I'm afraid of. I've hit starvation mode about 3 times while losing weight this time. No loss for 3 weeks. Normally I'd go have a really big high calorie meal one night. I'd wake up 2 lbs lighter. I hit 176 a few months ago and decided to try and eat normal. This ended up with my waight stabilizing at 180-181. I've got to figure out how to eat at this stage in my life. I haven't had fast food for a year.  I will get a Jersey mike's mini 7 without cheese, but it's in the 350 cal range. I think the gotcha calories are what's derailing me. I'm a sucker for The pizza place pizza.  My Wife brings it home and I'm toast. We are starting a policy of "Hide all the good stuff from daddy ".  Maybe that'll fix it. LOL

Mac's advice is spot on. When I read your above post what stuck out to me is "reduce cardio and cut out your worst crutch by whatever means necessary". Sometimes a complete shift in diet helps tremendously. That's not to say hit the drive thrus but if you are doing a particular routine switch it up. I don't calorie count that often but I maintain balance for each meal. So for many years now I measure each meal with a certain % of fat,protein,carbs,etc for whatever I'm doing that day or that week. And don't get tunnel vision over that 5# goal. Focus is one thing, obsession is another. You have 2 holidays coming at you so save some of that cardio for dodging those heavy meals at the in laws or at home 🤣. Good luck !

• Admin Team
55 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I still like the old Body For Life method of eating with intention for 6 days a week and giving yourself a “cheat day” to eat literally whatever you want.  If your exercise is right - and you’re getting enough sleep and water - that cheat day not only won’t derail you - it’ll show your body that you’re not going to starve it.

Even though it’s probably 30 years old, and is dead simple, it is in my opinion still the single best “program” out there.  I bet you could find a copy at a used bookstore or EBay cheap. 

• Like 2

My wife splurges on Saturday, and we have biscuits and gravy on Saturday mornings. That is our day, Mac. 

I have been using the Roger Raglin method lately and have shed 65 pounds in the past year. He has a book, "A big Deal" and well worth a look if you really want to lose weight. He, along with thousand has lost 80 pounds in 7 months If memory serves. Check into it. rogerraglinchannel.com   You don't starve but need to adjust your diet. It works! 

Edited to add; Don't cost nothing to check it out. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Good luck.

I didn't say it very well, but this is mostly what meant. Level out your daily calories and dial back the cardio.  The cheat day or even 1 meal is good for your soul. 

Keep at the weight training but understand you're not 19 anymore and big weights can lead to big pains.  I decided I needed to improve my bench.  A couple over-enthusiastic workouts later, it took a year for my shoulder to heal.  Being the smart guy I am, I then decided I should get better at pull-ups. It took another year for the tendinitis to stop feeling like a knife in my forearm every time I shook hands.  Time under tension is the thing. 

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I still like the old Body For Life method of eating with intention for 6 days a week and giving yourself a “cheat day” to eat literally whatever you want.  If your exercise is right - and you’re getting enough sleep and water - that cheat day not only won’t derail you - it’ll show your body that you’re not going to starve it.

Even though it’s probably 30 years old, and is dead simple, it is in my opinion still the single best “program” out there.  I bet you could find a copy at a used bookstore or EBay cheap. 

Sleep is very irregular. I have a watch recording my sleep. It's as little a 3.5 hours on work days and sometimes as good as 7.5 on off days. Normally it's a bit over 6 h a night. I'm usually up 4 to 6 times a night. Most of times I'm up are related to my youngest Daughter that has to be in the room adjacent to our bedroom. O2 is good and in the high 90s. I've been told my sleep is the major factor, but I don't see any way around that one. 

19 minutes ago, peejman said:

I didn't say it very well, but this is mostly what meant. Level out your daily calories and dial back the cardio.  The cheat day or even 1 meal is good for your soul. 

Keep at the weight training but understand you're not 19 anymore and big weights can lead to big pains.  I decided I needed to improve my bench.  A couple over-enthusiastic workouts later, it took a year for my shoulder to heal.  Being the smart guy I am, I then decided I should get better at pull-ups. It took another year for the tendinitis to stop feeling like a knife in my forearm every time I shook hands.  Time under tension is the thing. 

I was running 3 miles and walking the rest. A buddy told me in need to change from heal/toe running to toe/heal running. Yeah! You really need to take that slow. I have two tendons that get mad after about a 1-1.5 miles of running now. I'm shutting the running down for a month or 2. It suck because it takes 1h 15 minutes for a 5 mile "walk".

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

Sleep is very irregular. I have a watch recording my sleep. It's as little a 3.5 hours on work days and sometimes as good as 7.5 on off days. Normally it's a bit over 6 h a night. I'm usually up 4 to 6 times a night. Most of times I'm up are related to my youngest Daughter that has to be in the room adjacent to our bedroom. O2 is good and in the high 90s. I've been told my sleep is the major factor, but I don't see any way around that one. 

The more we understand about sleep - the more we understand how it affects so much health related stuff.  I totally get how  that's not really something that's in your control - with kids - especially ones with needs - you can only do so much.  I spent a decade sleep deprived - and that also corresponded to almost every sports related injury I've ever had.

I wouldn't hesitate to back off the running some.  There are plenty of other ways to get into that fat burning zone and keep your cardio capacity up.  Honestly, one day a week of good cardio is probably sufficient.  Remember that you need to be doing moderate cardio exercise for more than 45 minutes to really start burning fat - and that stops almost immediately once you stop.  On the other hand, weight bearing exercise will keep your metabolism up for the rest of the day.

I'd trade the cardio that hurts for one I enjoy - the kayak is great.  I have a longboard and a paddle that I love to cruise on.  The bike can be a great fit too.

These last few pounds will likely have a longer tail than the first ones.  As with anything, the last gains are always the hardest.  I've found as I age that those last few to get into race shape take real intention.  It sounds like your intention is dialed in.  It's the calories and the specific ones that are going to get you over the hump.

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Is this the book?  https://www.alibris.com/Body-for-Life-12-Weeks-to-Mental-and-Physical-Strength/book/8684281?matches=368

Colonoscopy prep will do it for those 5 pounds but will creep back in. I've done 2 in the last 8 years. All fun and games until that second bottle kicks in for sure.

When I quit alcohol for good weight fell off. At my biggest I was at 205. Quit all the drinks, got in the gym more and I melted down to 154 I think at my lightest. I looked sick (in a bad way) and quit eating like a kid. Fast forward a bunch of years and I'm okay sitting at 185 but very much more of an athletic build and currently my strongest. I'm 46 married with 2 kids and been hanging with my lady since 1995. Ain't trying to impress nobody any more but I like feeling good.

My wife drinks water all day and eats "okay". Water really keeps the weight off her. She's been a lightweight since we met and still is. Staying hydrated 12 months a year is tough but seems to work for a lot of people I know.

I'm still a gym rat. Everyday except Sunday.

9 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

I was running 3 miles and walking the rest. A buddy told me in need to change from heal/toe running to toe/heal running. Yeah! You really need to take that slow. I have two tendons that get mad after about a 1-1.5 miles of running now. I'm shutting the running down for a month or 2. It suck because it takes 1h 15 minutes for a 5 mile "walk".

Try rucking... walk fast wearing a weighted pack. No need to get crazy with the weight, 30lbs is plenty to start with. I cut up some cardboard to keep my dumbells from wearing holes in my pack. I should probably get back to doing that more often...  

To the OP

Dont forget, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are lifting weights a lot, just because the scale might say 5 lbs less than you want, you might be in better shape than you think.

Personally, I dont go by weight, I go by how my pants fit-lol.