Red Dot opinions/info

Fairly new to red dot sights and currently have 2 and looking for a 3rd. 
My first may have spoiled me being a Trijicon RM06. Amazing once I got it zeroed at around 25 yards. Time went by then I acquired a single stack and went with a Holosun 507k that’s wicked as well.

As for my 3rd. Not sure if I should pick one of my 2 previous purchases or dable into a 3rd brand. 

I practice with and carry everything. I would rather just have something mounted “permanently” rather than moving one to another. 
Any info out of experience or boredom will be appreciated. 

I’ve had good experiences so far with RMRs, RSOs, 407 series and the 507 series and just recently add a SwampFox Sentinel to the inventory. Usually I have some “flare” type issues with alot of the smaller MOA dots, regardless of manufacturer, but this green dot on the Sentinel is very crisp. I’ve personally not come across a Sig Romeo for a pistol that I’ve liked the dot at all, but some of my buddies like them. If I could choose only one dot that I had to run across all my handguns it would be the Holosun 407C.

1 hour ago, gary_boom said:

What size dot do you folks use , I talked to a neighbor who shoots competition and I think he said he used a 6 moa.

In the case of my old eyes... The bigger the better.  There are some Chevron type reticles I like.

leroy...

what are you putting it on and what is going to be that gun's main use?

I would look into either the holosun EPS series or Aimpoint Acro, try out the enclosed emitter game and see if you like it.  If you are using it for just range stuff I would look into the 507Comp or Trijicon SRO

18 minutes ago, FrankD said:

what are you putting it on and what is going to be that gun's main use?

I would look into either the holosun EPS series or Aimpoint Acro, try out the enclosed emitter game and see if you like it.  If you are using it for just range stuff I would look into the 507Comp or Trijicon SRO

Shadow Systems XR920. They actually have the Holosun 507C X2 Blackout on sale now. I was thinking to stay Holo and got enough of a sway that way. I ordered that last night but figured I start a thread on them since I had a tough time find a specific thread on just dots instead of irons. 

19 hours ago, jhc77 said:

Shadow Systems XR920. They actually have the Holosun 507C X2 Blackout on sale now. I was thinking to stay Holo and got enough of a sway that way. I ordered that last night but figured I start a thread on them since I had a tough time find a specific thread on just dots instead of irons. 

Not a bad choice at all.

I've used Trijicon's RMR, Vortex Venom, Burris Fastfire III and Holosun 407, 507 and 508 and one or two other models I can't recall.

I have about 6 Holosun 507s now and they are my preferred optic.   They hold up pretty well, have shake-awake, and I have grown to prefer the circle / dot combo.  I can get on target faster with it than just a 3 MOA dot.  I also like the slide-out battery tray.   The window is also slightly taller than the RMR and 508.

The RMR is a solid optic but I don't like the excessively tinted glass, and I'm not a fan of the bottom mounted battery and need for a sealing plate.

The ACRO sights have some promise but the bugs haven't been worked out IMO.   I've been seeing lots of reliability reports with the P2 version.

Edited by ken_mays

Put a Vortex Strikefire II on a Ruger Charger (22lr) and it is pretty neat. Get 2-to-3-inch groups of 30 rounds at 25 yards.

I had never used a dot sight before so still getting use to both eyes open, distance for eye relief and dot brightness.

This is using CCI SV and Federal Auto Match.

I have an RMR and a Holosun 508t. I prefer the reticle on the 508T and I got the green version which I prefer to the red dot. I had a vortex venom for a bit but sold it. None of the three gave me any issues. I don't own an ACRO yet but after trying it out I did really like it but not enough to run out and replace my current ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Holosun EPS multi reticle on a carry gun. I plan to buy a Sig 322 to practice with. Anyone have experience with Fox Army red dots. They make a 2 moa dot/ 32moa circle reticle similar to Holosun. I have and astigmatism and some dots are not clear to me. 

On 11/28/2023 at 6:21 AM, gary_boom said:

What size dot do you folks use , I talked to a neighbor who shoots competition and I think he said he used a 6 moa.

I have red dots on all my pistols now. I use 6 moa on all of them zeroed at 10 yards. If you think about MOA, a 6 MOA dot will cover 6" at 100 yds or roughly the size of an average face. It decrease to 3" at 50, 1.5" at 25, and so on.  So it is plenty big for use in a defensive situation and still small enough to use with some accuracy. In fact, I find it easier to use at range vs. a smaller dot as it is easier to track in the window in recoil.

As for brands, unfortunately the Chi-commers are leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else in regards to features at price points that make them very hard to argue with.  I have used RMRs, Leupold DPP, Sig Romeos, and have settled on Holosun EPS/EPSc and the SCS if you have a Glock MOS. I've never had any issues out of my Holosuns like I did out of the aforementioned brands.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I stick with Holosun. Seems like the best compromise of durability, usability, and cost. I’ve broken several Vortex red dots. I’m not selling the ones I’ve got, but I wouldn’t buy another. 

I’ve got a Trijicon RMR with the 6MOA dot. I think it’s a little too big, I prefer 2-3 MOA, but I’m a little younger and I like to shoot a little longer range. 6 MOA makes it hard to shoot my carry pistol at 100 yards. 

• Like 1