Must watch movie/television recommendations & interesting shows

Links2k

On 12/9/2023 at 3:42 AM, Links2k said:

“Leave The World Behind “ on Netflix. It seems very relevant to our world today and also has a nod towards prepping. 

I watched this and while it was ok, it just seemed like a long trailer for the real movie. I don't mind the disjointed lack of info as that would be realistic. The deer bothered me. It did not seem like it connected to the rest of the story. 

I found the miniseries Fall of the House of Usher to be really good. It takes a lot of Edgar Allen Poe elements from his various works and weaves them into the plot / dialog. Skim thru the titles of his works, and read a few of his poems / stories, and you'll pick up on them in the show. Some of it will be obvious, like names and titles (Pit and Pendulum for one). 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I watched Warhorse One on Prime this weekend. It started off looking really low budget, but it picked up steam and became a fun watch. It's basically John wick wanted to be a Seal. Lots of shooty stabby ridiculousness.

I was good..

BUT: he had unlimited 30rd mags, long distance head shots with a eotech, why in the world did he kept charging his rifle over and over, not sure if he knew about the bolt release...lol

still entertaining..

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I was good..

BUT: he had unlimited 30rd mags, long distance head shots with a eotech, why in the world did he kept charging his rifle over and over, not sure if he knew about the bolt release...lol

still entertaining..

I thought the same thing about charging the rifle. Reading my mind as usual, youtube gave me a short right after the movie where a guy talked about training himself to always charge because sometimes a jam can seem like an empty mag. He also made a good point that during transition practice to his sidearm, he found that sometimes the rifle would bounce on the sling and hit his bolt release on his rig or hip, closing the bolt. Stuff you just don't think about i suppose.

I need one of those infinite refill plate carriers.

It's also important to swap shoulders every 5 seconds.

*edit* One final note. I was pleased to see that they didn't have the 5 year old throw a knife into someone. I was fully expecting that eye roller.

Edited by NoBanStan

I've watched more movies in the last couple weeks than I have in years.

Another silly but fun recommendation is "Nobody" with Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul guy). That was fun. It was good to see Christopher Lloyd on screen and I almost didn't even recognize Michael Ironside... channeling his inner Wilford Brimley.

I also watched Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. This movie was a mess of randomness, but overall, I kinda liked it. I wouldn't ever be in for another viewing, but the absurdness was comical. Fair warning that it's very "artsy". if you hated inception or tenant.. you will loathe this movie.

• Like 1

I too watched "Nobody" with Bob Odenkirk . Wow! I had no idea he could portray such a BadA$$! Very well done and entertaining movie.

Thank you @NoBanStan!

7 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

When possible could people posting movies they like say where they saw.  Either a streaming service, network, theater, etc.  If it isn't something I subscribe to, It saves me looking it up.

I would love to see a thread such as this.

But I wouldn't want to drift @Links2k thread without his blessing.  But I really appreciate the input and suggestions.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I too watched "Nobody" with Bob Odenkirk . Wow! I had no idea he could portray such a BadA$$! Very well done and entertaining movie.

Thank you @NoBanStan!

I would love to see a thread such as this.

But I wouldn't want to drift @Links2k thread without his blessing.  But I really appreciate the input and suggestions.

No problem. You may add whatever you choose.  I’ll edit the title. 

“Nobody “ was a very good movie!

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1
  • Links2k changed the title to Must watch movie and television recommendations

Godzilla Minus One was a fun ride. It's in Japanese subtitled in English. It has a bit more of the nostalgic original Godzilla feel than the more recent movies, but without being totally 50s/60s campy

Napoleon is a snooze fest

If you've seen the first 2 Trolls movies, Trolls: Band Together is fun. Not as good as the first one, but way better than the second one.

Silent Night sucks. Very predictable and unrealistic. Nothing at all like the super fun Violent Night from last year. If you haven't seen Violent Night with David Harbour....watch it!

I'm glad I have the AMC subscription so I'm not paying more for these tickets . . .  🙂

I plan to see Wonka, Poor Things, and Ferrari this weekend or next week.

• Thanks 1
On 12/9/2023 at 2:42 AM, Links2k said:

“Leave The World Behind “ on Netflix. It seems very relevant to our world today and also has a nod towards prepping. 

Last night after the dust settled I found myself with a quiet house and the TV remote in my hand.  I decided to watch and see what the chatter was about.

When it was over I had way too many questions so I went to the old interwebs.  I found this and thought it was interesting and reliable so I thought I would share.

https://youtu.be/TiqQROFSK8k

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This isn’t a “must watch”, it’s more something I found interesting.  It’s a docu-series on HBO called “Exterminate All The Brutes”, based upon the book by Sven Lindqvist, starring Josh Hart Hartnett  and narrated by  Raoul Peck.  

If you’re cool with book banning and history that’s easy on your soul, this series is not for you. The series delves into the history of worldwide colonization and genocide. 

‘Episode 3 talks about the invention of gun powder, and the introduction of various guns throughout history.  

Again, if  watching a series about colonialism and genocide takes you out of your comfort zone, this series is not for you. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Links2k changed the title to Must watch movie/television recommendations & interesting shows
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

This isn’t a “must watch”, it’s more something I found interesting.  It’s a docu-series on HBO called “Exterminate All The Brutes”, based upon the book by Sven Lindqvist, starring Josh Hart Hartnett  and narrated by  Raoul Peck.  

If you’re cool with book banning and history that’s easy on your soul, this series is not for you. The series delves into the history of worldwide colonization and genocide. 

‘Episode 3 talks about the invention of gun powder, and the introduction of various guns throughout history.  

Again, if  watching a series about colonialism and genocide takes you out of your comfort zone, this series is not for you. 

Does it approach it from a history perspective or does it equate it to how we're bad now because of it? It's hollywood, so i'm assuming the latter.

I'll give you a brief rundown. Two groups of bad people who ruled over people who just wanted to be left alone. Fought a war against bad people who ruled over people who just wanted to be left alone. One group won. That group wrote the history that showed the other group was bad and they were good. A few hundred/thousand years later the group that wrote history is now saying they were bad and the other bad group was good. 

Apply this to any conflict you choose. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NoBanStan said:

Does it approach it from a history perspective or does it equate it to how we're bad now because of it? It's hollywood, so i'm assuming the latter.

In may opinion, it’s approached in a manner that doesn’t sugarcoat history. There’s some dramatization, but there are also lots of verifiable facts.  For example, they touch on the atrocities committed by King Leopold in the Congo. I’ve read about and watched documentaries in the past that gave me the impression Leopold was equal to or worse than Hitler. There’s a story (not in this series) of Leopoldo’s men forcing natives to tie ropes around their bodies and swing from a cliff using vines, across a valley to another cliff in order to build a bridge. If the natives were afraid, they were executed on the spot. 

There’s a lot going on, and I don’t feel like I can adequately explain the series by typing a few words here. For example, they talk about the strategic  and tactical advantage tribes had against the English in one battle.  A battle that tribesmen might have won in the past when both armies were using smooth bore guns. In this particular battle, the British annihilated the native tribesmen, because the British started employing German made machine guns in battle. The battle wasn’t even close. 

Again, there’s a lot going on. Also, I’m not a person who avoids certain things on television based upon politics, so I’m not looking for an agenda. I process the information, then form my own opinion. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2
51 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I'll give you a brief rundown. Two groups of bad people who ruled over people who just wanted to be left alone. Fought a war against bad people who ruled over people who just wanted to be left alone. One group won. That group wrote the history that showed the other group was bad and they were good. A few hundred/thousand years later the group that wrote history is now saying they were bad and the other bad group was good. 

Apply this to any conflict you choose. 

Good basic synopsis, but the series delves more into the how’s and why’s of certain events in history concerning genocide and colonization. Also, the bad guys who wrote the history never feel bad. Why should they? They still have the power, make the rules and control the armies. 

I found some of the side stories to be corny, but I understood what they were attempting to convey. 

Finally, I didn’t post the suggestion to debate why the series was made.  I found the series interesting. I also stated that it may not be for everyone.  If you’re interested, watch it. 

Edited by Links2k
6 minutes ago, Links2k said:

In may opinion, it’s approached in a manner that doesn’t sugarcoat history. There’s some dramatization, but there are also lots of verifiable facts.  For example, they touch on the atrocities committed by King Leopold in the Congo. I’ve read about and watched documentaries in the past that gave me the impression Leopold was equal to or worse than Hitler. There’s a story (not in this series) of Leopoldo’s men forcing natives to tie ropes around their bodies and swing from a cliff using vines, across a valley to another cliff in order to build a bridge. If the natives were afraid, they were executed on the spot. 

There’s a lot going on, and I don’t feel like I can adequately explain the series by typing a few words here. For example, they talk about the strategic  and tactical advantage tribes had against the English in one battle.  A battle that tribesmen might have won in the past when both armies were using smooth bore guns. In this particular battle, the British annihilated the native tribesmen, because the British started employing German made machine guns in battle. The battle was even close. 

Again, there’s a lot going on. Also, I’m not a person who avoids certain things on television based upon politics, so I’m not looking for an agenda. I process the information, then form my own opinion. 

I don't shy from hard truth. It's the self loathing of modern people for the deeds of long dead ancestors that bothers me.

• Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

I don't shy from hard truth. It's the self loathing of modern people for the deeds of long dead ancestors that bothers me.

I get it, but so many people aren’t familiar with some of the hard truths. So, instead of fully educating themselves, they prefer to blow off the hard truths with snarky comments and denialism.