Things the next generation simply won't understand

2 hours ago, jeff43 said:

I still have some of those somewhere, they are in a square container made out of some type of cardboard .

I found a picture of what it looks like.

IMG_3503.jpeg

Mine were in a round cardboard container, I think we gave them away when we cleaned out my Mom's house 4 years ago. 聽They were well used by then, I think every kid that visited, played with them for the last 65 + years.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You SOBs make me feel old!!!馃が

We went to a friends daughters 30th birthday last week. We first meet the family when the daughter was 3. Our son went to school with their oldest daughter, we are getting old Greg, and it aint for the weak!

• Like 1

Did any of you guys have one of these? It came with a bunch of little wires, and the little pegs on the board were these little springs. You could bend the spring, insert the wire and create all kinds of circuits. I spent hours making all kinds of stuff. One of the things you could make was an AM radio, which was the coolest thing to an 8 year old.

Science Fair 130 in One Electronic Project Lab 28-259 Radio Shack W160 Page  Book for sale online | eBay

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a similar clock with a more ornate case. Most of my kids can't read the time. My youngest stood staring at it one day and asked me the time. He thought it had stopped because the red hand wasn't moving.

H19502-L94993130.jpg

I only remember ever bumping into one of these as a kid. It was at a place in Gallatin that we frequented on Sunday after church called "The smoke house". It's been gone for probably 30+ years at least. They had one of these in the bathroom and I swear it just rotated the nasty towel around it. So stained that half the time i just washed my hands and slung off the water instead of using it.

image.jpeg.5ccab6c9a2fbdcf03166e5d362903d43.jpeg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, LangdoniousRex said:

The little sign at the top says $10 but that was the price until I left 3 years ago so it's probably $15 today

I didn't even notice tbh. hah. I guess that's something else younger folks won't get. Sub $2 packs of smokes. Not that they smoke anymore (thank goodness). As if vaping is better....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I didn't even notice tbh. hah. I guess that's something else younger folks won't get. Sub $2 packs of smokes. Not that they smoke anymore (thank goodness). As if vaping is better....

Time actually are getting better though. I read the other day that only 11% of Americans smoke today. When I was a kid it was around 42%.

My stepdad used to send me with a dollar to the store to buy him a pack of Kools and I got to keep the change which I almost always spent on a comic book.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I only remember ever bumping into one of these as a kid. It was at a place in Gallatin that we frequented on Sunday after church called "The smoke house". It's been gone for probably 30+ years at least. They had one of these in the bathroom and I swear it just rotated the nasty towel around it. So stained that half the time i just washed my hands and slung off the water instead of using it.

You see these in Europe quite often still today. 聽Our office still has them. 聽They are considered more environmentally friendly.聽

18 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I remember a few times where I had to go get this and bring it to the classroom.聽 My elementary school only had so many, and the teachers had to reserve the time.

image.jpeg.1cafb5f9f7a6ea220f52d0466b2620b8.jpeg

Same with the overhead projector. My grade school had a computer cart as well. It's funny because my mother was a teachers aide and she ran the computer. Us kids weren't allowed to touch it. We had to provide the answer and then my mom would type it in.

22 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I don't think any of those were ever changed out. Every one I ever saw was disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2