New Take-Down Ruger 10/22

Oh Shoot

I still don't see the point. If the #### hits the fan, are we going to be hiding the fact we have firearms? I hike but i think a handgun would be a better defense than a .22 rifle. I would rather have a 9mm hipoint carbine that shared magazines with my handgun.........

Guest pdogkilr

After seeing this thread (and similar on other forums) I made a couple of calls. Local LGS says, "Sure, we got some in today --- $299." Says I "Put one under the counter for me, I'm on the way".

I think Ruger executed the concept very well. I like it.

IMG_1891300PPISquareSize1024Cleana.jpg

IMG_1892300PPI45AngleSize1024clean.jpg

I still don't see the point. If the #### hits the fan, are we going to be hiding the fact we have firearms? I hike but i think a handgun would be a better defense than a .22 rifle. I would rather have a 9mm hipoint carbine that shared magazines with my handgun.........

I agree. It's not very practical. No one is going to go hiking with this over their shoulder. Why would they? If you need to defend yourself you would have to stop, get it out of the bag, put it together then fire.

That being said, it is a pretty cool design and I do love the 10/22.

Thanks for the pics, pdogkilr. Those are the best shots I've seen. The little rifle looks pretty good, and the carry bag is a nice touch. Very good marketing strategy from Ruger. Still don't think I need one...but that hasn't stopped me before.

This idea just popped in my head but this would be the cats meow if you added an integrally suppressed barrel to it.

Check my posts on RFC. That's been my plan since I got the email from Ruger. I've already been measuring and stuff. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off but I still need to talk to a suppressor manufacturer.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I really like that little case for it. I am going to have to check and see if it is available without buying the gun and just how big it actually is. If one would fit that would be a nifty and discreet way to carry an AR. I am not sure just why I would want to do that but I am a real fan of things that carry things and the bag looks really sweet.

I really like that little case for it. I am going to have to check and see if it is available without buying the gun and just how big it actually is. If one would fit that would be a nifty and discreet way to carry an AR. I am not sure just why I would want to do that but I am a real fan of things that carry things and the bag looks really sweet.

The case is roughly 23"x7"x4" for the main compartments. It is a little small to hold a broken down AR, in my opinion.

You might be able to do it if you sew in some velcro and put it in diagonally but its not long enough for a 16 inch upper.

ec7dff83.jpg

I'm waiting for someone to try one and see if it's really worth it. Seems like if you really wanted a collapsible rifle you could go with one of those Henry Survival Rifles.

The Ruger is going to be a lot better shooter. More comfortable to shoot too.

That's what I'm hoping. The Henry is a great concept but the grip on it is just a pain, and so is the lack of a forearm.

The Henry is a great rifle that is probably the best incarnation of the AR-7 that has been in constant production by some manufacturer or another since 1959. It was designed by Eugene Stoner himself if that matters to you.

When I got the 10/22 takedown a couple of weeks ago I sold off the Henry and already miss it. Fortunately, a friend now has it so I still get to shoot it. It is a handy, accurate little rifle.

The Ruger is more of a traditional rifle, it just comes apart. Broken down it does take up more space than the Henry but you also gain increase magazine capacity, especially with the new BX-25 mags Ruger has finally started producing.

Edited by Garufa

I really do like the AR-7 design and almost bought one at the last gun show but my friend got to it before I did. This one is definitely on my list though, might go with it over a .17 HMR.

The AR-7 is the one that the barrel detaches and stores in the stock which floats. It is chambered in .22lr only

The M6 survival rifle is an over and under break action .22lr and .410 made from stamped steel.