What is the best deal you ever got on a handgun?

Guest RottenCore

Guest RottenCore

My first handgun was a Sign Sauer P239, I loved that gun. I bought it from a pawn shop in Florida for $400! Then I found out it was worth $800. What a deal!!!

my first auto, my east german makarov. Back when you couldnt sneeze at a gun show without hitting 10 makarovs, and then got a 1k case of ammo for it for right at $100. The gun has gone up in value (even though heavily used now) while being one of my favorite shooters.

Not me but a pawn shop.

I was getting ready to go on a "trip" and needed some traveling money. I took a minty Colt Frontier with adjustable sights and both cylinders to a local pawn shop.

They offered me well over $400 for it but I told them to just give me $65. I didn't want my wife to have to pay a lot to get it back out.

A few months later I called my wife. After a few minutes I asked about the pistol I had pawned. At which point I got the verbal equivalent of deer in headlights. At that point I realized I had sold a $500+ gun for $65. I don't blame her but it was a bit upsetting.

Dolomite

The most recent was a S&W Model 15 4" blued "part's gun" that was is about 90% finish wise. It was a police surplus trade in that "wouldn't ratate correctly" and was out of time. When I picked it up at my LGS it functioned correctly, had a strong hammer strike and the timing was good. I took it home, did a complete disassembly, cleaned and lubed it and put it back together. Total price was way under two bill's and I bought it with the intention of only using it for part's for another K Frame.

Bought my Yugo SKS (in excellent shape) and my Ruger P85 (stainless, well worn, but an excellent shooter) both for $350. Given what the SKS was worth at the time, I figured I paid $100- $150 for the Ruger. Given today's value of the SKS, the Ruger was free.

Last year I got an FNX-9 for free at The Outpost! They had a drawing during an FNH exhibition with factory reps there and I was the luck winner. They even paid for the background check. It makes a nice mate for my FNP 45.

I traded a pocket knife for an RG several years ago.

Guy I worked with inherited the car from his father. The radio wouldn't work, so I checked the fusebox and found a pistol. He was scared to death of it, refused to have it in his car. I told him I would swap him my pocket knife for it.

Wish I had that damn knife back.

Met an older gentleman who had his wife's pistol and she didn't want it any more. I bought it sight unseen for $100. It was a practically new S&W model 36 with factory mother of pearl grips.

It is a keeper...maybe my great grandchildren may pass it on to someone.

SW36-1_1.jpg

• Like 1

At a gun show in the parking lot was getting out of my truck saw a elderly man getting out of his and he had a 25 auto raven he wanted $25, I took it. Walked to the entrance of the show, sold it for $75. Believed I owned the gun less than 2 minutes.

The first gun I bought was a Ruger Blackhawk 3 screw 357. Bought it at a Sheriff's auction of seized guns in Grainger county. $90.00 cash no questions asked. I still have it and it is still one of my favorite handguns.

Glenn

The day about 1957 when I, a little more than a snot nosed kid, first paying job, walked into a hardware store in Cumberland, MD and bought a new nine shot Hi Standard 22 revolver. No background check, no questions. Priceless. :wave: Yeah, I still have it................and you know, that darn gun has not shot anyone.

I totally forgot about the time I did some repair work on a Davis 380. It was horribly unreliable. I made it somewhat reliable (went from jammimg every shot to shooting 4 rounds before jamming). The gun was then given to me as a gift for repairing it. (Owner didn't want something that couldn't be relied upon at all times).

It was a junker, but I could shoot 4 times!

In early 1990s, a friend came over with two S&W 32 mag revolvers he bought from a dealer going out of business. He said he could only take one home due to wife restrictions. I gave him $200 (if I remember right) for a new in box Model 16 w/6 inch barrel, combat grips, target hammer and trigger. It is still my favorite handgun...

Buddy of mine had a long-barreled (9") H&R .22 revolver that I borrowed from him to hunt rabbits & squirrels with off and on for a couple of years. He offered to sell it to me on several occasions for $200.00, but I never had the money and always kinda' wondered why I should pay him $200.00 for it when he let me borrow it for free any time I wanted. One day he came by the house and told me he'd gotten hard up for money and told me the name of the pawn shop he'd sold it to. I went in that afternoon and picked it up for $50.00. (Two years later, I got hard up for money and re-sold it to the same pawn shop for $100.00)