Most rural/backwoods/isolated town in TN?

Erik88

Ducktown, Turtletown, Copper Basin, Farner, Coker Creek. That whole lovely area.

You don't get much more backwoods then deep in them there mountains.

I have kinfolk up there that still don't have indoor plumbing or lights.

I was born at the old Kimsey-Guinn hospital in Ducktown and raised in the Copper Basin. Grew up with a view of Big Frog Mountain out my window. It's one of those places that seems stuck in time, and I mean that in a good way.

It's funny, there aren't very many places in this thread that I haven't driven through or been near. My life is rural.

Placed like Rugby are nice historic, others are places you need not be without being well armed. The sad thing is drugs have taken over rural areas. What once was a 'big city' problem is now prominent everywhere.

there is a store in Glades, northwest Morgan county, north of Deerloge, makes a decent sandwich, but they also deal drugs, lots if shady characters there. I fell safer in East Knoxville than there, but hey a mans gotta eat

Coker Creek is the BIG CITY compared to Reliance, TN.

I lived out Bullet Creek for a while, between Rural Vale and Reliance. That is some pretty area. Used to go out fishing on the Hiwassee River up there, near the powerstation. Brings back some old memories there.

I know a Monroe County detective that has told me stories about people up there that don't have electricity but have some 12 volt lights and will bring the car battery in to use them. I'm not too far from the area that you speak, 15 miles due north maybe from Tellico Plains. I won't give a lot of details, I'm probably more isolated than anyone here and I would like it to stay that way. I'll put it this way, it's 12 miles to the closest gas station and 14 miles to the nearest traffic light. I go weeks at a time every now and then without seeing a traffic light, which suits me fine because I hate those things.

It is true. One of my cousins is a detective for Monroe County, he lives just down the road from my mother still. It is an interesting place.

I grew up there, so I pretty much have it pinned within a community where you live, but I ain't worried about it since you want to hide. Can you guys get anything more than dial up or satellite out there yet? I know they don't in Rural Vale or Coker Creek.

Some of those places aren't friendly, but if you know the locals, or are kin to the locals, it isn't bad. You come in dressed nice, no one will trust you. I get a kick out of watching Justified, but some folks don't understand, that IS the way it IS out in the sticks. The law doesn't reach into the dark woods the way it can in the cities. Go far enough back in them woods and like someone mentioned above, the ghetto is safer.

Smokey is the most desolate and dangerous place ive ever been. You either no someone or stay out. And i grew up in new river/ graves gap.

Yep.

I made the mistake of riding my Vulcan 800 (Harley wannabe) up there, and stopped in at the grocery store for chips. Dang near wouldn't sell them to me, *and* walked outside to watch me ride off. Much worse than stopping at the store in New River (famous for fried baloney sandwiches). 100,000 acres to hide the body.....

Yep.

I made the mistake of riding my Vulcan 800 (Harley wannabe) up there, and stopped in at the grocery store for chips. Dang near wouldn't sell them to me, *and* walked outside to watch me ride off. Much worse than stopping at the store in New River (famous for fried baloney sandwiches). 100,000 acres to hide the body.....

I've been up there several times for Forestry work. You just gotta act like you're one of them. Walk in like you own the place. :)

Smokey is the most desolate and dangerous place ive ever been. You either no someone or stay out. And i grew up in new river/ graves gap.

Yep.

I've been up there several times for Forestry work. You just gotta act like you're one of them. Walk in like you own the place. :)

Hard to do when you are wearing chaps.........

I guess it was or Poor Valley...either one is bad..

You live in Poor Valley! Or maybe you're just high enough up the ridge from it that it doesn't count. :)

Poor Valley traditionally to old timers is the whole area between the river and the ridge, all the way up to Bean Station area, some just say the part northwest of 11W from Blaine to Lea Lakes, Joppa, up to Poor Valley Rd area, and on.

None of it in Union County, though.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

You live in Poor Valley! Or maybe you're just high enough up the ridge from it that it doesn't count. :)

Poor Valley traditionally to old timers is the whole area between the river and the ridge, all the way up to Bean Station area, some just say the part northwest of 11W from Blaine to Lea Lakes, Joppa, up to Poor Valley Rd area, and on.

None of it in Union County, though.

- OS

I use to read meters in poor valley, I didn't think it was "rough" at all a couple crazy people in that general area but only a few. Or maybe I just fit in lol

Sent from secret underground bunker