advice on different areas in tennessee

mr.romak

as i posted in my introduction i am planning to move to tennessee ,what area has yet to be determined though . finding work is the biggest thing i am worried about  (there is really no work where i am now) so i need to find an area that has some work available ,i don't really have a career path yet but i have worked a wide range of different jobs ,and have lots of references . mostly i am just wondering what the job market is like in the different areas  for laborer and entry level jobs ?  i have been doing internet researching but i figure it never hurts to ask the people who live there.

another consideration is i will not be moving into a main city ,i would prefer to find a place to rent outside of a smaller city( i have been looking in tri-city area) so any info or opinions about where to zero in on would help . i am planning to make a drive down in a week or two to check a few areas out and apply for work with anywhere i see thats hiring , so i am trying to get a good idea of what areas i will be stopping in . like i said any info or opinions to think about would help .

The Chattanooga area seems to be highly thought of, though I wouldn't want to live in the city.  Cleveland is just outside of Chattanooga and is a nice smaller city with some shopping, and they have some building going on for new stores, etc.   From Cleveland north to I-40 (along the I-75 corridor) is farm country - more cows than people.

You could look at the south end of Murfreesboro, too, near Christiana.  That would put you kinda off the beaten path and in a fairly rural environment.  It would also  give you shopping at the new outdoor mall in M'boro 15 or 20 minutes away from your home.  If I were seeking work in that city, I'd start looking when school starts up in the fall (right about now).  Lots of kids quitting their summer jobs to go hit the books. 

I haven't found a bad place in Tennessee, save for Memphis.

I'll give you a bit of advice. When you come here, forget everything you think you know as it relates to politics, religion, and "the way we do it in New York".

Also, do not comment on anyone's southern accent.

We don't like that here. If you insist on "doing it the way we did in New York", stay in New York.

Tennessee is a different place in every way imaginable.

I guess the area depends on whether you prefer mountains, hills, or billiard table flat land. We have it all from mountains in the east to flat land in the west.

If you enjoy sneezing and sweating in the summer and shoveling snow in the winter, Tennessee is for you.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4

Chattanooga is a great part of the world. It's a beautiful city, and there is no shortage of outdoor activities around here if you are into that. The city has also been relatively insulated against the recession due to VW and Amazon coming in. There's work to be found here for people that want it. 

In simple terms, TN is at its best in the far east and its worst in the far west, with plenty if nice places in between. The tri cities are is by far my favorite. As long as you're near one of the larger cities, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding basic work.
  • Like 1
East TN is the most scenic, but also many counties are economically depressed. Job wise, middle TN is your best bet. Clarksville to Chattanooga has lots of businesses popping up. Tennessee has been aggressive at attracting new business, and it is paying off. Nashville is the convergence for 3 major interstates, that attracts businesses too. The beauty of your situation seems to be that you could find a job first and let that drive where you live. Like mentioned above, it's hard to go wrong any place east of Memphis.
  • Like 1
Dolly is building a $300 million resort soon in sevierville. Employing 2500 or so people. I'm going to apply at the funnel cake booth, I love me some funnel cake. I'll settle for kettle corn though.

Go where the money is at, the big buck corps know where they will make more money.
  • Like 4

I second VW and Amazon coming in.  You have Nissan in Smyrna, Toyota engine plant, Delta, DeWalt/Black and Decker in Jackson, Amazon, and VW in between Knoxville and Cleveland, GM in Spring Hill (union), Heck, maybe even Remington coming near Clarksville (one can hope).  If it fits you, all of those should allow you to live a bit out there and have access to work.

The reason we live in a larger city is work - people, people, people -  that and access to the best education for my kids.

I am a native Tennessean, and I love this state.  We, like everywhere else have positive things and things that need work.  In general, where someone from New York, The North West, or Cali would tell you if they don't like you, your product, or your idea, many (not all) southern folk will politely lie to your face (I can only hope they don't even know what they are doing) because it is ingrained in this culture to be "nice".  In a group of folks, it is quite a card game to understand and keep track of what each person actually thinks of each other person.  A lot of cultural politics (workplace, etc) plays this way.  If you can learn to understand it and function in it, you can go far here. - In that regard, it's no different than anywhere else.

If you care for your family and respect those around you, Tennessee will be richer for having you.  - hope our thoughts help you out a bit.

All the best to you and yours.

thanks  for the input everyone! and just so you guys know "the way we do it in ny "is one of the reasons i am done with this state . i just want to work ,raise my family in a state that treats me like a citizen and not a subject. sounds like i will probably take a drive to central tennessee and i will work my way to the east . thanks again ! this whole escape from ny thing is a bit overwhelming so its nice to get a little first hand knowledge before i just jump in the car and start heading town to town .

Like others have said, the S/E corner of TN is doing well, but do not come to Cleveland. My "little" towns traffic is getting rough and I doubt we need to add any more.;)

You will get what you give when you move down here. If you give a friendly attitude, you will get it in return. If you come off as rude and abrasive, you will get that back as well. Congrats on your escape from NY! Come on down and lets start shooting stuff. A recent law has passed that when you move to TN you are required to provide all ammo for your first range visit in the state. :taunt: (just kidding, but it would be very nice of you to do so)

• Like 1

well as far as past work and and experiences ,i have worked on a number of different jobs from farm work (corn /wheat/ dairy/beef) i have done soldering on a assembly line ,i ran a sealcoating and line striping road crew, i was just laid off from working on a landscaping crew ,i have worked in grocery stores,lol pumped gas on the indian reservation ,i have spent years assisting my father who is a blade smith,  and the list goes on . i have a perfect driving record (no special licenses though other then the motorcycle license ) i dont have any current certs but i used to have one for security in pa ,also the soldering ,and i had one to operate fork truck .

other then that just a desire to work my a** off for a living and i try to always keep positive ,and i am always respectful . 

i havent heard about that new law but i will just have to trust you  ,i would provide all the ammo just to see some of those fancy nfa items in person (in case you don't know there is no nfa items for any one in ny state ,just getting a permit to own a pistol is a lot harder and longer and sometimes much more expensive then it seems it is to get nfa items down there )

i really do appreciate the feedback 

I wouldn't go anywhere west of Nashville if it were me. Anywhere east of Crossville would be even better.

You will have to end up wherever you find work though so you may have more luck by doing some job hunting online before you come down. 

Good luck!

• Like 1
Nissan in smyrna is hiring around 800 people for the new truck line. Starts at around 16/hr. Easiest money youll find around. Given your experience you could be hired on quickly. I was was working 2 weeks after my first contact with the career center.
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

The town I live in is nice, unless you read the Topix posts. Only problem I have with it is they roll up the sidewalks at 9PM. But there is Walmart and McDonalds 24 hours. And an all night restaurant. My wife wants to move to Cleveland. Have heard nothing but great things about Cleveland, like it up there, I have family from Georgia that moved there, and when I go I see tons of things to do. One of the reasons I have not bought my retirement house yet. not 100% sure where, just know it will be in the Chattanooga area.

I grew up in middle Tennessee and landed in East Tennessee.  I really like it out here.  If you are into city kind of things and like to go out to events, clubs, that kind of thing Nashville is good.  If you are into outdoor things East Tennessee offers more than you can shake a stick at.  You mentioned a motorcycle license, if you are into motorcycles East Tennessee is smack in the middle of world class roads, middle Tennessee sucks for motorcycles, actually a big part of what got me here.  The hunting opportunities seem to be better in the middle and west parts of the state but fishing is better in the East.

Guest nra37922

East TN is God's country.  Just simply beautiful. West TN is eventually going to get leveled when the New Madrid cuts loose and in the meantime Memphis isn't the Memphis of Elvis anymore.  Middle TN is ok with quite a few nice areas and Nashville offers a lot of entertainment and a great airport but East TN has the Smokies and Dollywood.

Lived in the burbs of memphis (collierville) for about 20 years. Loved it but more than likely you will have to drive into memphis for work. I live in franklin (south of nashville), been here 10 years. I love it even more. A few hours from anywhere in beautiful tn. Loads of lakes, loads of nature, loads of opportunity.

Just depends on what you want to do , tn has it