Areas to Stay Out Of...

Guest nra37922

Guest nra37922

As a service to your fellow man, what are the areas in your town/city that you would advise folks to stay out of?  AM, PM or anytime... 

Knoxville would be Cherry and Magnolia area definitely after the sun sets. 

If your ever back my way New River and the surrounding mountains after dark if your a stranger. Very clanish backwoods people that don't like strangers. Better than it was 30 yrs ago, but still some rough people if you dont know them.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

As a service to your fellow man, what are the areas in your town/city that you would advise folks to stay out of?  AM, PM or anytime... 

Knoxville would be Cherry and Magnolia area definitely after the sun sets.

My mother was raised in the Magnolia area (Burlington) and my father was raised close to Cherry Street I40 Exit and I'm talking pre WWII, Knox High days. They were fine places from approx. 60's back.

Most of Orlando is rough. I will never understand why it's known as "the beautiful city". The worst parts of the city are Pine Hills, Oak Ridge, most of Orange Blossom Trail, Goldenrod, the neighborhood directly behind the Amway center is bad. My black coworker calls it Mogadishu. People have even been robbed recently on I-drive. 

I'm glad we got the hell out of there. My drive to work sucks but it's worth it. 

Edited by Erik88

Nashville is bad anywhere around downtown for a few miles in every direction except West End/Broadway. Especially 'norf' Nashville including Bordeaux. Don't let the diversity-lovin' hippies in East Nashville fool you. It's as rough there as any other place if you turn the wrong corner.

• Like 1
Guest ThePunisher
Unfortunately where ever you go, you had better be armed in this day and time. The days of leaving your doors opened or unlocked are over. Be safe and vigilant.

Nashville is bad anywhere around downtown for a few miles in every direction except West End/Broadway. Especially 'norf' Nashville including Bordeaux. Don't let the diversity-lovin' hippies in East Nashville fool you. It's as rough there as any other place if you turn the wrong corner.

+1 about East Nashville.
I figure the hoodlums are just giving the hipsters a break for awhile.
Also, coming towards East Nashville from the Madison area is quite the "multicultural" experience going down Gallatin Road. The hipsters are on borrowed time.

Most of Orlando is rough. I will never understand why it's known as "the beautiful city". The worst parts of the city are Pine Hills, Oak Ridge, most of Orange Blossom Trail, Goldenrod, the neighborhood directly behind the Amway center is bad. My black coworker calls it Mogadishu. People have even been robbed recently on I-drive. 

I'm glad we got the hell out of there. My drive to work sucks but it's worth it. 

I lived in the Oak Ridge Road/SOBT area in the seventies. I still have friends there and they all tell me the same thing. That whole area was safe back then. Hate hearing what's happened to it. 

We used to close WDW and then head to Denny's on I Drive at 3 am. Never had an incident.

Edited by daddyo

I lived in the Oak Ridge Road/SOBT area in the seventies. I still have friends there and they all tell me the same thing. That whole area was safe back then. Hate hearing what's happened to it. 

We used to close WDW and then head to Denny's on I Drive at 3 am. Never had an incident.

Ya Pine Hills is by far the worst but Oak Ridge is right behind it. I'll be glad when we make it back to TN.

Dark am hours are the worst times to be out in bad areas. If i had to be in a bad area it would be at sunrise and before noon. Most thugs return to their cribs by sunrise. And drug dealers hit the streets by noon. At least from what ive seen.

To kinda add to the knoxville thing and make it a bit easier for the "wayfairing pilgrim" to understand where things are; i would break up knoxville as follows:

I.    275 corridor--- From the junction of 40/275 north; dont get off the interstate to the west (...your left hand goin north...) until ya get passed the 640/275/75 junction... The area is an older part of town with plenty of hoodlums about; day and nite...

2.   I40 east between the 40/257 junction (...downtown....); all the way to the i640 junction on the east side of town... This is a broad territory that runs from the tennessee river to the south side of I 640 on the north to the junction with 40/640 east... 

Us natives would bound it from Riverside Drive north all the way to Dutch Valley; from Western Avenue on the west all the way to Rutledge pike on the east...  It's the old magnolia avenue corridor south and north...As others have said; "...It used to be a nice neighborhood...".  It aint anymore... This is another older and fallin down industrial corridor.  The Christian-Newsom tragedy happened in the territory bounded on the south by the interstate goin east and the north by the I 640 belt.  This includes "Knoxville Center" or "East Towne Mall"...

As others have said, there simply are no "safe locations" anymore... 

leroy

When I first moved to Fayetteville a few years ago, The locals told me to stay out of the "Bottoms" in Fayetteville. The police told me to stay out of there after dark. Lots of drug activity goes on in that part of town. Funny thing is, I drove thru that area during the day, got a lot of stares by the locals in that area( cause my car looked like a UC vehicle I guess). I haven't been back since, nor would i care to go back.