Best Bang For Your Buck Bolt Action 308

wcsc12

So it's that time again. What's the best bang for your buck bolt action 308. I've been looking at a Thompson Center Venture series rifle with weathershield and I like it. I hear good things about it but I don't know about much else.

I've heard the Remington 700's are good as well but I want just out of the amazing with no upgrades.

The main purpose for this rifle will be hunting. I'll grab a scope for it as well just not sure which scope yet as I haven't even picked out the rifle. Any more I should consider and please weigh in on what you would purchase.

Savage Model 10, 11 series.  You want the accutrigger, don't worry about the stock as you will probably dump it anyway.  I bought a model 11 Hog Hunter with a 20" threaded barrel.  Replaced the stock and bottom metal to accept AICS detachable magazines.  Makes a real nice poor man's scout rifle.

• Like 1

Best bang for the buck in a low cost hunting rifle? This time of year Dicks usually offers a Remington 700 heavy barrel with an ugly camo stock and a cheap scope for around $449. I looked at it and it appears to be the same barrel and action they use in their higher end heavy barrel rifles (less the finish). I’ve not seen anything close in that price range for what you are getting.

Guest Aces&8s

Another vote for Savage, but as others have said, go with the Accutrigger model...  not much more expensive than the base model, and well worth the extra few bucks.

I have a Savage 111 in 30-06, bought it the year before the accu-trigger was released. The trigger is still adjustable though.
If I was buying a new bolt rifle, Savage is the first brand on my list. I've owned s couple and they are great shooting rifles.

Best bang for the buck in a low cost hunting rifle? This time of year Dicks usually offers a Remington 700 heavy barrel with an ugly camo stock and a cheap scope for around $449. I looked at it and it appears to be the same barrel and action they use in their higher end heavy barrel rifles (less the finish). I’ve not seen anything close in that price range for what you are getting.

Doesn't have to be low cost. Just best bang for the buck. I mean the TC Venture I want will cost me $460. I just want to make sure I get a great one because this is unknown territory for me (as far as bolt action rifles). Also, that's $460 with no scope.

You can find a REAL Savage, not the Axis, at Walmart for under $400. They will come with a scope and the Accutrigger. I paid $350 for my wood stocked short action earlier this year.

The reason you want a model 10 or 110 over an Axis is because of all the aftermarket support for them. You can get stocks, bolt handles, rails and drop in barrels.

And with a Savage you can swap calibers in under 20 minutes at home. Unlike a Remington or most other brands that require time on a lathe.

Okay. Sounds like I really need to check into Savage. I've just never had any experience with them so completely unknown. Also, their website has more models on it than anything ha ha ha.

Edited by wcsc12