Ever buy a cheap LED TV?

My last few TV's have been $1500+, but we are looking for a cheaper ($300+/-) for the bedroom. I'd prefer 39"-40", LED, 1080p, 120Hz (will settle for 60Hz). I'd love a Smart TV, but not many of those in our price range. 

Anyone had any luck with the cheaper TVs? One that you didn't regret?

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest TankerHC

If you buy off Walmart they have cheap ones all the time. About 4 months ago they had a 37 inch 1080p 60hz for $199, got my sister one, works perfectly and had three HDMI inputs which was good since she also uses it as a computer monitor. Ship to store free too, in this case it was free delivery to house. A month later another one came up, a 47 inch which I picked up for my brother for $279, ship to store on that one, took one day for pickup. Neither of these were refurbished.

Thing is you cant click the search by price, you have to actually look through the TV's and thrown in between the $700 and $1500 TV's a cheap one not listed in the price search pops up.

We had a top of the line (7 years ago) Panasonic Plasma, 50". I loved that TV but when the motherboard went bad wasn't in a position to replace it. We picked up a Sam's Club special, 40" Vizio "smart tv". It's got an LED screen that is ok. The picture is nowhere near what our old tv had. I hate gaming on this new tv but it'll do when I find time to play.

The smart portion of the tv is terrible. The processor is agonizingly slow. From startup to the netflix movie menu takes anywhere from 90 to 120 seconds. I know that doesn't sound like very long but it is really bad.

Overall, I'm happy with it for the price but it will eventually go into my son's room, when he's older. If you can afford more, I recommend doing so.
Guest TankerHC

I bought a Emerson on Black Friday 2 years ago from Walmart <$150, and it has worked perfectly, and is used quite regularly.   I would recommend this close to this year's black Friday, to wait for the best deal.  Don't forget to look at tigerdirect for good deals.    http://www.tigerdirect.com/

Emersons, couldnt remember the brand, but thats what both TV's mentioned above were and a year later and both my brother and sister are still saying how great the picture is for $200 TV's. 

Emersons, couldnt remember the brand, but thats what both TV's mentioned above were and a year later and both my brother and sister are still saying how great the picture is for $200 TV's. 

My parents have two Emersons and they love them other than they pick up interference from the microwave haha.

My last few TV's have been $1500+, but we are looking for a cheaper ($300+/-) for the bedroom. I'd prefer 39"-40", LED, 1080p, 120Hz (will settle for 60Hz). I'd love a Smart TV, but not many of those in our price range. 

Anyone had any luck with the cheaper TVs? One that you didn't regret?

I am happy with my 42 in, vizio.  Smart TV, 3D.  Had it about a year and a half.  I stream netflix several times a week.  It was only about 650 when I got it. 

Similar to this.   http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-42-Class-Theater-3D-LCD-HDTV-with-VIZIO-Internet-Apps-1080p-120Hz-refresh-fate-E3D420VX/15992330

Edit, add

I believe about any flat TV needs a sound bar. 

Edited by vontar
Guest TankerHC

Was just in Walmart picking up some tater chips. 

Emerson 39 inch, 1080p 60 hz - $289

Different brand I cant recall (Begins with a E), 32 Inch 1080p 60hz - $198

LG 32 Inch, 1080p 60hz - $189

They also had a 47 inch Emerson for $389. 

Edited by TankerHC

the off brands like Vizio buy parts and assemble the TV's.  Higher end like Philips make TV's with parts engineered to work best together.  Can I tell the difference?  Doubtful.

I would buy as cheaply as possible.  HD TV's have really come down lately.   Go cheap as you can find.

Cheap tvs are one thing but cheap cables( video) are another. Better get the Monster cables for your next purchase( as the cables aside from the power one isn't included in the box). Best picture and sound quality and they are guaranteed to work.

I picked up a cheap 34" Chinese tv a year and a half ago for the bedroom. I got it from HH Gregg for $199 on sale. It's a Hisense or something like that. So far it's been awesome. It's not just an LCD, not an LED, though. I don't like the LED's. The color looks washed out to me.

I saw a Sanya 55 LED 120 hZ at wally yesterday for under 500...Ive had good luck with Sanya in the past///too closew to Christmas for me but if I see a deal like that when uncle sam gives me a little of my tax money back...

Edited by barewoolf
Guest Riciticky

Have 4 vizios and they are great. You can get refurbished on ebay with warranty. quickshipelectronics is where I got my 55 inch on ebay. I have had it for 3 years and love it.

• Moderators

Cheap tvs are one thing but cheap cables( video) are another. Better get the Monster cables for your next purchase( as the cables aside from the power one isn't included in the box). Best picture and sound quality and they are guaranteed to work.

I disagree with this. I use the cheapest HDMI cables that I can find. It's almost as bad a debate as "Mac vs Windows" or "Ford vs Chevy", but personally I don't see paying more than $2-$3 for an HDMI cable.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC

One other thing, those MOney Shops that are popping up all over the place. One opened about a mile from here not long ago, they carry refurbished Vizios and other TVs and they really are refurbished and packed professionally (factory packed) and come with a warranty. 60 inch, 1080 and 120 hz for $500

I know the OP is about a Bedroom TV, figured some might be interested in that.

Edited by TankerHC

We have two LGs, and have been pleased with them. When we bought the last one about a year ago, the smart TV's weren't much more if not the same price as the regular ones, and the 3d models were cheaper. You are about to get to the time of year to get a real deal on one in my opinion.

I think the smart tv is worth the extra $$$. Especially if you subscribe to something like Netflix.

Edited by gregintenn