Who do you have your auto and homeowners insurance with?

jeff43

I am USAA across the board, I used to be a traffic investigator and always heard great things about them when doing follow ups. I heard numerous bad stories with other companies, progressive seemed to be one of the worst. I have been with USAA about 8 years and have nothing but great experiences.
  • Like 2

I have mine with State Farm and have had for around 25 years, but I'm getting fed up with them.Prices keep going up for no reason!

I had State Farm on autos since I was 16 (I'm 65). Also renter's for the last 15 years, a supplemental health policy, and a separate personal items policy for guns.

Too long a story, but whole bunch of crap happened recently with them, and I canceled everything.

Went to independent agency, they got me SAFECO policies for cars and renter's that far exceeded State Farm's coverage on both, AND it was significantly cheaper,  PLUS the renter's includes firearms, no different than any other household item. Turns out SAFECO is known for being firearms friendly in that regard.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I had everything through USAA until two weeks ago.  I had my Explorer insured as garaged while I was gone and when I went to have the coverages re-enabled, the price USAA gave me was high.  I asked them if there was anything they could do and the girl on the phone didn't even try.  So I looked into Progressive......ended up saving me $765 a year, roughly 50% of what USAA was charging me.  The coverages are the exact same. 

USAA couldn't be bothered to even try to retain a 10+ year customer.....up until I called to cancel.  Then they wanted to care and work with me.  Too late...

I'm also about to look into my homeowners insurance, personal property rates, etc. 

Their service has gone down and their prices have gone up ever since they widened their customer base IMO.  I never minded paying a slight premium for good service but I feel like that time has passed for them.

Liberty Mutual.

So far no complaints, but then I've never had to file a claim either.

Which reminds me, I need to call about my renters pretty quick here. I've been storing most of my guns off site at an insured location but they're all coming home soon.

Amica.  They are very good to deal with.  If I have a question they can't answer, they get back to me with an answer.  I called the other day to get coverage for a tractor I bought and they said my personal property would cover it. 

I would just suggest looking into how claims are handled before going with (or staying with) any particular company. I have been close friends and office mates with several personal injury attorneys and a defense attorney for several years. It is amazing how different I look at insurance carriers after all the stories I've heard over the years. There are a few that are really bad. If you file a claim, they fight you tooth and nail. If someone files a claim against you, they fight settle at all costs (meaning the insured has to participate in the defense - depositions, answering discovery, even going to trial). Make sure you are comfortable with that side of the equation, too.

I would just suggest looking into how claims are handled before going with (or staying with) any particular company. I have been close friends and office mates with several personal injury attorneys and a defense attorney for several years. It is amazing how different I look at insurance carriers after all the stories I've heard over the years. There are a few that are really bad. If you file a claim, they fight you tooth and nail. If someone files a claim against you, they fight settle at all costs (meaning the insured has to participate in the defense - depositions, answering discovery, even going to trial). Make sure you are comfortable with that side of the equation, too.

Who do you use?

• Like 1
Everything with SF. My agent is a long time family friend. Only had one claim and it was $12k storm damage to my house a few years ago. My rates have gone up a little, but not enough to get excited about. When he retires, which shouldn't be too much longer, I'll shop around. USAA is my immediate 2nd choice.

Who do you use?

We just haven't shopped around recently (but it is on the agenda). Our carrier is not the worst around, but I would not say they are on the better end, either. They seem to be okay when the claim is "pure" (meaning no third party involved and no "fault" they can place on the insured). As with many others, as soon as they even think there's a chance to blame someone, they get significantly more difficult. Just do a little research on carriers. The carriers that use independent agents tend to be a little easier to deal with. Edited by midtennchip

I am USAA across the board, I used to be a traffic investigator and always heard great things about them when doing follow ups. I heard numerous bad stories with other companies, progressive seemed to be one of the worst. I have been with USAA about 8 years and have nothing but great experiences.

I've been with USAA for 15 years, and couldn't be happier. Cars, insurance, banking, mastercard. Everything but mortgage. They are awesome, and have tremendous customer service.
I have my homeowners through State Farm and my vehicles through TN Farm Bureau. They both say I would save money by having all insurance with one company, but in the 5 or 6 times I got both of them to quote me combined insurance, it has always been cheaper to have them separate. Go figure.