My Dachshund Went to sleep tonight

I had to have my 17 Year old Miniature Dachshund put to sleep tonight. His health had been going downhill for a while and tonight he started having seizures, Vet said a stroke, so it was time. I could tell his mind was gone. 

He will be missed. RIP Max!!!

• Like 2

Yes TDR, rescue from a shelter is the way to go. I have another dog whose owner was going to have put down because she was moving and couldn't take the dog to her new place. My daughter just got a rescue about a month ago, Lab mix, beautiful dog. My girlfriend and I have placed two strays in the last couple of years to good homes. Yes Mike.357, he was a helluva dog, aggravating and bossy, but I loved him and gave him a good life. Yeah rugerla1, I let my other dog out to run in my fenced back yard a while ago and when she came in I got two treats out of the box, one for her and one for Max. She got both of them.

Thank you all for the thoughts. 

Bill Parks

• Like 1

Which is what I fear the most out of my miniature dapple. Hes been with me for years, but I always have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind. And I bet he and max are completely bossy around the house but melt into butter when you take them places. 

Sorry to hear about your pooch. We have a "Weiner Dog" too, and I know what a great dog they can be.

I never would have guessed that I would be the owner of a Dachshund, but our has turned out to be a really good dog. They are loving and loyal, and a dedicated snuggle hound. Ours will burrow under the blanket on your lap and stay there for hours. He lives for the tennis ball. If you throw it, he will chase it; all...day...long! Of course the "Weiner" jokes abound in our house: "Hey, you wanna pet my weiner". Never gets old  :)

I'm sure yours was just as loving and full of personality. I'm sure you'll miss him.

So sorry for your loss. I have had to put two of them down over the years and it rips my heart out every time. I lost one in 1995 that was the oldest dog my Vet had ever put down at age 21 and the facts were verified that she was 21 because he gave her her first shots when she was a puppy and was her vet her whole life. The second one was 15 and suffered a heart attack and even though he survived it the vet said his heart was extremely damaged and I will not see one of my best friends suffer so had him put down. Now I have Kasey which turned 16 last November and had vet visit for her yearly check up and flea&tick treatment and vet said except for her being slightly over weight, only 30 lbs over weight she is in good shape. In all honesty the vet said she needed to be put on a diet and I laughed and told the vet that she is on a see food diet now. Everything she sees she eats. My vet just laughed and said at her age that is probably best since that is how she was raised and any changes now would be fruitless. So we both agreed on that.

Again, sorry for you loss................. :cry:

Our Boxer was part of our family for almost 13 years.  Had to let her go a year in June. I still miss her everytime I go outside.  She was always there for us no matter what.  There is no friendship like the friendship of a loyal dog.