Knox County Sherriffs Deputy chokes out handcuffed suspect.

10-Ring

• Moderators
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1143564" timestamp="1398650138"]It seems the evidence was strong enough that the investigation took all of about 30 seconds. He was probably being paid during that time.[/quote] The evidence also appeared to be strong enough to get referred to the Knox AG. So getting fired might not be the end of the problems for that Deputy. I will be following story to see if charges do get filed.

Just can't have a good street party in Fort Sanders anymore like the old days, I guess.

60 cops involved, wow. And 800 kids? Must admit, that's something. 'Course we didn't have the Phone Mob capability back then. :)

- OS

That's a hellofa party. I was at a party on 17th one night when the cops rolled in. We scattered like roaches. I made a clean get away by my friend was not as lucky.

Good times.

Edited by Erik88

I'm guessing that UTK will hold the title of top party school this year. And their new top-cop sure let it get out of hand.

Sometime in early/mid '60's, the Playboy mag college fun rankings had an asterisk in the drinking category for UTK.  Below, the asterisk was " professionals not ranked with amateurs in this category" :)

- OS

• Like 4

Ok, if you look at the sequence of photos you will notice the suspects hands are behind his back as he is being handcuffed. Then before he is handcuffed you notice he is pulling his hands away from the officer trying to handcuff him. He may not have started resisting but at some point he made a conscience effort to pull his hands away from the officer doing the handcuffing and that is resisting. 

In photo three the suspect is leaning forward towards the officer and from personal experience that is what someone does when they are getting ready to spit or are spitting on you. What is the best way to prevent someone from spitting? Cut off their airway. 

If all that the suspect was doing was running his mouth then the officers are wrong and should be held accountable but if the suspect is attempting to resist arrest, spitting or threatening to spit then I see no problem with what the officer did. Being choked out, properly, is a lot less damaging to the body than being taken to the ground. We have choked out people who were in handcuffs, leg irons and belly chains before because it was less damaging than some of the alternatives.

Yes, cutting off blood and oxygen flow to the brain to the point that you pass out is less damaging. Where is it that you got your medical training again? ;)

Edited by Junkstack
  • Like 1

Yes, cutting off blood and oxygen flow to the brain to the point that you pass out is less damaging. Where is it that you got your medical training again? ;)

It's actually called transient cerebral ischemia - emphasis on "transient".  Unpretentiously, yes - it is less damaging.

• Like 1

I didn't figure it would take long for that officer to be gone. Way to much bad Press to keep him on board. Yep a shame to be a 22 year veteran and send it down the drain for a mistake that was more than evident. Everyone including p the police need to realize nothing happens this day in time in public that someone is not going to have pictures of and they say a picture is worth a 1000 words..............jmho

Anyone who has participated in modern combatives has been choked out and has choked out others. I've only had to choke out one person off the mat, and it was a good friend of mine. A hell of a lot safer for both parties than beating someone unconscious or into submission.

A properly applied neck restraint does NOT cut off the airway although it certainly appears that it does in some cases - particularly when using "Lindell's" LVNR method that was taught to LE throughout the country - so it is not a choke hold. It does cut-off a lot of the blood supply to the brain through the carotid arteries and leaves the vertebral arteries open, (although they are narrowed since you stretch them by tilting the head forward), and thus supplies blood through the Circle of Willis. My martial arts instructor actually taught Sgt Lindell the easiest technique to accomplish this while he was attending the Kansas City, MO Police Academy, (where Lindell taught), for the police department for which he worked, (Liberty, MO). It was something that he would later regret since Sgt. Lindell marketed it as his own intellectual property/technique, and too frequently it was NOT properly applied. There are much quicker techniques to accomplish the same goal of rendering someone unconscious, but those take more skill than is acquired in a police academy.

I wasn't there so the facts are out, but as a former LEO I can't say that the rendering of this technique is called for on a handcuffed individual regardless of whether he is about to be spit on as one has postulated here. Police are to use the minimal force necessary to affect the arrest; spitting is just added charges.

Edited by SWJewellTN
My opinion is, in the end he was just being arrested for drunkenness, or whatever. If he struggles a little so what. If he wiggles free, so what. If he was present a violent danger to the officer and others, ok, but I have my doubts about that. I realize he could try to grab a weapon and all that. But he was clearly in control by two other officer before the choke was applied. I feel it was excessive and glad JJ acted with authority.
  • Like 5
Guest Cazador
I wonder if the election had anything to do with the swift action. Secondly Knox county might as well sign the check over to this young man just as quick.

I attended The University of Tennessee for 5 years and was involved with a few parties in my tenure.  I never had any issues with cops, in the fort, on gameday, or when I lived on Fraternity Row.  I dealt with cops breaking up my/myfriend's parties.  No real major issues/no arrests, both parties have to be smart.  However I know there have been many dumb and I mean dumb actions by people when I was there such as the "butt chugging" which has resulted in the police putting up with less crap.  I know the officer was fired but I hope he was not using excessive force, that is just sad.

Edited by ls3_kid
A picture is worth a thousand words but for the department to bounce him says a lot. Someone found wrongdoing and or repetitive physical issues.Applying restraint to subdue is at officer discretion. Drunks and methheads can be the most volatile humans to deal with or reason with,to add to the debate. What if the kid was HIV or hepatitis 3 positive??we don't know what we don't know but physically stopping someone from ejecting body fluid in a tortious manner is justified, keeping reasonable variables in mind. But if that officer went beyond after the kid was locked down them that's just bad and wrong. In the meantime we just don't know ....
Ill side with choking versus pounding a head on a sidewalk ending with shots fired as we have all known about too well...
And I'll clarify w choking as a lesser evil, not as a torture or abusive tactic.
What's worse is that kid and his girlfriend probably choke each other out all the time for all we know.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
I would be willing to bet there have been other problems with the officer. There have been other officers do far worse that were not fired as quickly. Anyone can go down to the merit counsel and look at his, or any other officer's, personnel file.

I wonder if he was actually fired or was allowed to resign. I have known several officers that were allowed to resign, rather than be fired, and were given letters of recommendation.

And honestly if he was still under the old retirement system he probably has enough in the account to retire anyways. About 7 years ago they went to a new retirement which did away with savings accounts but officers had to choose either the old or new system. Most of the older officers stayed with the savings account system because of how much they had in them.

My only question to all of this is there was I think 3 other officers that had the man subdued so what was the reason for this officer to do this. He was cuffed for part of it or most of it and for the most part helpless to do much. I'm guessing this officer has had to man other bad reports in his file and it was just time for him to go............jmho

• 3 weeks later...