The old days

I sat down this afternoon and tried to watch "We Are The Millers", which is supposed to be a comedy. After listening to 10 minutes of nothing but expletives and profanities, I finally turned it off and am sitting here shaking my head.

I grew up in the days of Red Skelton, Martin and Lewis, Danny Kaye, and clean comedy, which was actually FUNNY. Today, every show and every movie seems to have nothing but vulgar and offensive language and sexual innuendo which is supposedly "funny".

I just don't get it. Years ago my wife and I went with two other couples to see a Whoopi Goldberg and Ted Danson movie that was billed as "the funniest movie of the year" (funny how every comedy gets billed this way; can they really ALL be the funniest movie of the year?). Nothing but foul language and nothing that I found even remotely funny. I told my wife I couldn't watch any more of it and I walked over to the next theater to see the last half of Jurassic Park.

I don't mind a few colorful metaphors, but when every other word is the F bomb or something equally offensive and gratuitous, I simply can't watch it. How did we get so far away from cleanliness and true family entertainment?

• Like 9

I agree.

Most of the movies and TV I watched today are shows of 20 or 30 years ago and movies...well, easily back to the 1940s. I also love listening to XMs classic radio channel.

There is some good stuff on TV today but most of it is simply trash staring trashy people produced and funded by trashy people and it's just not worth my time.

• Like 1
I agree too. I am only 26 so vulgarity and sexuality based comedy is mostly all my generation sees. Still though, I enjoy watching some old Red Skelton, Andy Griffith, 3 Stooges, etc.

Most new movies put out now are not funny at all IMO. It seems they are so stupid its funny and I cant stand that type of comedy.
  • Like 2

I hear you - and I'm a youngin', only three months out of my teenage years! I can't understand how disgusting and foul things have gone from unaccepted to supposedly "LOL"-worthy in the space of about two to three generations. It's why I don't even watch movies. Our tastes as a whole have gone from refined to trash.

I'd like to add one more thing - this seems to go in tandem with how folks present themselves in public. My dad (71) says that he and his old folks would always dress nicely when they went "out" - as seldom as that was. Their car was always shined and in shipshape. The women dressed with at least a half a thought of respect for themselves.

We've gone from that to where nobody cares how they appear in public - I'm not talking about everyone wearing a suit and tie or a dress all the times, but at least something half decent. If you look around in town - wherever "in town" may be for you - you see so much trash. What gets me the most, odd as it may be for a young man, is seeing attractive young ladies who don't appear to be dopeheads basically advertising themselves. Skimpy tops, skimpy shorts. It's disgusting.

It seems to me that society seems to follow the state of the entertainment industry, I swear... in the 40s and 50s we had more class, a sense of respect for ourselves. Now as movies and all entertainment has devolved into an orgy of provocative and piggish filth, so has society. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Being so young, who am I to say anything?

Edited by Pat
  • Like 2

I liked Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin, they were always entertaining. On sundays creature double feature was a hit too. 

I gave up on listening to reviews many years ago, I found that I liked what they didn't and vice versa. Now there are very few shows or movies I watch, mostly series shows on HBO.

Radio fills the void for entertainment these days more than the tv box. 

Strange days indeed!

• Like 1
Since we turned off satellite almost one year ago, and we don't watch much local programming other than local news and NCIS, we have amassed a good dvd collection of you guessed it older tv shows. We do watch a lot of baseball streaming through the web.
Guest Lowbuster
I remember as a teenager going to the theatre to see porkys. My brother and I got up and left that movie. That was tame compared to todays standards.

I just saw an antenna advertised on TV I am going to buy soon as it comes back on and I can get the information to contact. It's $19.95 plus shipping and it gets all local networking plus about 35 other channels guaranteed or your money back. there is a few programs I will miss when  turn the cable off but I will survive. I like watching the History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and A&E. The only time one of those is not on is for local news or NASCAR race. I enjoy Mountain Men, and all of the programs about the Alaskan settlers and home steads.  One of the best comedies on tv now is those guys up in West Virginia chasing Big Foot monsters. It is suppose to be serious but I find it funny...........jmho

I just saw an antenna advertised on TV I am going to buy soon as it comes back on and I can get the information to contact. It's $19.95 plus shipping and it gets all local networking plus about 35 other channels guaranteed or your money back. there is a few programs I will miss when  turn the cable off but I will survive. I like watching the History Channel, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and A&E. The only time one of those is not on is for local news or NASCAR race. I enjoy Mountain Men, and all of the programs about the Alaskan settlers and home steads.  One of the best comedies on tv now is those guys up in West Virginia chasing Big Foot monsters. It is suppose to be serious but I find it funny...........jmho

I'd skip the antenna and get a netflix account instead. Recurring cost, but about $10.00 a month and all kinds if good documentaries and old shows and movies. If you want to be really slick you can get hulu for about 8. More bucks and have even more shows. Really fancy and you can get amazon prime and watch even more there.

I've got amazon prime and it pays for itself in shipping savings so the shows are a bonus. I have Netflix too, but I use my old roommates girlfriends account. ( they're fine with it Netflix and girlfriend both.) I access them both on the TV through an xbox video game system so pay about 10 bucks a month for that.

Seems a bit much but I've for more entertainment than I can shake a stick at for under $20 a month and having the xbox reintroduced me to video games as I'd stopped playing years ago but always enjoyed them.
  • Like 1

My wife and I talk about this subject often. We have no cable but we have got an antenna for local programming and Netflix. We get into watching certain shows from the first episode through until we reach the end of the the series or all that Netflix has available. We have started watching several series that started out really good but then the deeper we'd get into them the worse they'd get. We've also noticed that when shows start out under performing or start dropping in ratings after a season or two the "Hollywood fall back plan" is to trash it up to try and capture the viewers that don't care about program quality as much as they do about trash. We watch a few things that we sorta "ignore" certain aspects of because the story line is captivating to us but we try to not support things that pass a certain point.

• Like 1
I was trying to tell my kids about Bill Cosby. To them, he is just a babbling old liberal, but his early comedy was really funny. Fat Albert (not the cartoon) and buck-buck. That was some funny stuff.
  • Like 1

This evening we're watching The Wizard of Oz for movie night with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that movie. Each time that I watch it is like the first time. I also enjoy "It's A Wonderful Life".

tv and movies have gone to crap.    the social issues that they push is getting old.   we start watching a program and here come the homo part or some other social issue.  off it goes.

I change the channel when they start preaching their anti-gun views.
  • Like 1

we just watched "Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit" this week, and we couldn't recall any of the really bad swearing (GD or F-bombs) or sex scenes, and the movie was pretty good. We could just be desensitized to the swearing, but  I really don't think there was any in there. It just goes to prove that you don;'t have to have all that to make a good movie these days.

Seems like more often than not these days, we watch TV from the DVR with a finger on the fast forward button to skip over the sex scenes. remember the days when, IF they showed a couple in a bedroom, they had two layers of flannel jammies, she was wearing cold cream, and they slept in seperate beds.

I called DIsh and Direct and I guess neither one of them are interested in my business. Both wanted a $300.00 deposit plus a bunch of other charges to install  their equipment. I told them I didn't want to purchase the company. just their service and the would not offer any other plan so I told them i would just stay with my cable since I have had it about 16 years now and I hung up. I'm now sure what cable is planning but they have been awful nice to me the last 6 months. I walked in there to pay my bill and I asked them if they had any plans on adding any new programming to my existing package and the lady looked it up and she took one of their channel programs and marked a whole bunch of new stuff they had just added to my package but didn't bother telling me they added them. I now have a premier package and they dropped my rate from 82.00 to $59.95 for a year. I'm not sure what they are up to but I ain't complaining. That is till I see what they try and do when my year is up so going to get an antenna just in case. I already get NetFlix  DVD's and I can watch as many as I can send back and forth a month 2 at a time for 14.00 a month. Didn't know anything about getting it directly to TV. Not that up on high tech stuff. Might get son in law to look in to it for me next time he comes over..............jmho