Midway lowers shipping charges

about time.  i was in need for some s&w j-frame small parts and they were the only game in town at the time.  three small pins for the trigger/hammer at .95 each cost over $10.00 shipping.  they put them in a box with packing.  it could have shipped in standard envelope with one forever stamp.   

Last order I got was about average for me. I had about swore off them because of shipping, but I ordered a lazer sight awhile back and got free shipping. So I decided to load my cart and then see what the shipping charge would be. It was lower than my last order and more items (weight) than the one before. So I guess they are listening.

Still doesn't change the fact they charge $19 hazmat fee for a bottle of Lee Alox. I was going to buy a $5 bottle and the total charge was something like $27. I even called and asked why so much and the said it was hazardous and had to go UPS ground.

That was the last time they got one red cent from me. I even had some Midway Money that I had them refund.
Midway used to be my go to, I'd check them before just about anywhere else. That being said, I haven't ordered from them in over a year. They had a barrel that I wanted, but I bought from the ARFCOM store instead. I know shipping charges have gone up everywhere, I work a little for my Dad's business and they ship anywhere from 5 to 50 packages UPS daily, all over the globe. UPS charges have not went up proportionately to what Midway is charging

That looks to be good news.

I know I'm kinda dense sometimes guys...but Lee Alox now has a HazMat fee?

Is it the same as this? Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466811/lee-alox-bullet-lube-4-oz-liquid

Under shipping it lists as No HazMat.

Earlier this year I ordered a Lee sizer Kit, a couple of hundred bullets and a Lee Case trimmer/cutter and the shipping was $15.00 UPS....not great I know...but no HazMat fee

Sizer: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/342812/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-357-diameter

Am I misunderstanding something? My Google-fu is weak because I did try to search out... :shrug:

Their shipping costs have trended on the high side.

Personally I'm the hunter gatherer type. I source wherever. I've found with Midway I can usually find a few other items that allow me to take advantage of some discount or another.

YMMV

I've been ordering more and more from Brownells and PSA. Joeboboutfitter is great too. They must have figured out Time travel over there at JBO. I swear its like they receive my order, go back in time to the day before and ship it out before I even know I'm buying anything. All that said I love midway, they have a great selection, good sales from time to time, and I think their house brand AR Stoner parts are great for the money from what I've seen. I wish they would bring back C&R pricing, but I'm glad it won't take me an hour of shuffling items in and out of cart just to make the most sense out of shipping. Although that was kind of fun, cheap thrills and all.
  • Like 5

I suspect this is in response to Amazon (at least at times as you have to be careful with small orders and their "free" shipping with Prime) taking a bite out of them.  As I recall before most every order out the door at Midway had a ~$12-15 shipping charge no matter how little you ordered.

Edited by Mike A

That looks to be good news.

I know I'm kinda dense sometimes guys...but Lee Alox now has a HazMat fee?

Is it the same as this? Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466811/lee-alox-bullet-lube-4-oz-liquid

Under shipping it lists as No HazMat.

Earlier this year I ordered a Lee sizer Kit, a couple of hundred bullets and a Lee Case trimmer/cutter and the shipping was $15.00 UPS....not great I know...but no HazMat fee

Sizer: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/342812/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-357-diameter

Am I misunderstanding something? My Google-fu is weak because I did try to search out... :shrug:

The clerk I spoke to about the high shipping charges told me it was because it was considered hazmat. I knew it was BS because I ordered the same exact thing from another website for $4.95 shipping.

It was actually a sizing kit now that I think about it. I even told her to remove the bottle of Alox and keep it and she said she could not.

Here is the information about it on their website. I tried to tell her it wasn't hazmat but she kept insisting it was.

Delivery Information

•  

Geez Gordon...They obviously need an idiot screening process for their clerks. :cool:

Sorry about that BS. Good greif.

I too think that Midway has taken advantage of us with their overpriced shipping in the past year or so...but so many things have become a "new norm" since Sandy Hook. That doesn't make it right, and I'm happy to see Midway making their shipping more realistic.

I know I have to pay a lot closer attention and do a lot more shopping around that I did in the past.

I just got two resizing kits in my last order without a hazmat fee.

But you WERE charged the $15 UPS ground fee, I guarantee it, even though you should not have to pay it. The clerk I spoke to confused the UPS ground fee with hazmat fee.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I got the larry memo as well, ordered 2, 40 round pmags and a pair o 5 round base plates. i found a coupon for 10.00 off for any order over 50 bucks. coupons make me feel like i won a bingo contest!

I did shop this around briefly, midway had the best deal for what i needed at a fair price. Shooters supplies in georgetown ky has been pretty good as well.they combined some stuff i bought and saved me 11 bucks on shipping.

In Stock Product Total: $73.80 Standard Ground: $7.19 Shipping Total: $7.19 Promotional Discount: ($10.00) Grand Total: $70.99

When i used model aircraft fuel , we always had to pay the hazmat, even as sponsored pilots,it made sense to get 20 cases of fuel w hazmat being around 40 bucks on 80 gallons.UPS man explained it to me one day and it made sense, but for paying .50 on an item that retailed for over 20 bucks per gallon, i maintained silence....and payed the pooky hazmat fee. Ill bet some shippers abuse the crap out of it though.......One supplier confided that " the gun guys can be difficult" u can send a guy in iraq an item that gets beat to hell, by the time it makes it there, n he's happy, send a guy in the US a bolt carrier and they'll bitch about having a blemish on the bottom.So now we super pack everything, use more material charge a little more and waste less time on BS returns" makes sense to me.....

Edited by Dustbuster

Not only did I quit buying there after being a big fan and loyal customer for what seems like forever, I even unsubscribed from their emails over the increased shipping costs. Nonetheless, I got that email about the reduced shipping costs yesterday.

Maybe I'll check them out next time I need something. Worst case, I find it cheaper elsewhere.

Funny, went to look around their site and it's down. Maybe due to high traffic as a result of his email blast? Maybe he saved money on IT to offset the lower shipping prices? LOL

Edited by BigK

Not only did I quit buying there after being a big fan and loyal customer for what seems like forever, I even unsubscribed from their emails over the increased shipping costs. Nonetheless, I got that email about the reduced shipping costs yesterday.

Maybe I'll check them out next time I need something. Worst case, I find it cheaper elsewhere.

I unsubscribed from their email blasts and still got this announcement as well. Hilarious because 4 hours before I had an order in the cart and canceled cuz of the $15 shipping for what would have fit in a flat rate box for $6.

In the past 18 months I have had at least 10 orders ready and canceled when I added the shipping charges - went somewhere else. I will check out these new rates next time I need to order but based on my last several orders will find a better deal elsewhere.