A reminder to you Reloaders pay attention and be safe

No judgement here either.

Wow. He's very fortunate indeed!

I've blown up a Glock (model 21) years ago. Progressive press and a second of focused inattention = double charge. :ugh:

I am fortunate to have not been seriously injured. Very fortunate it was a handgun and not a large bore rifle.

Those powders look nothing alike, gross inattention to mix them up.

Glad he is ok. And yes I know mistakes can happen to anyone, including me, but mixing those two powders up just blows my mind.

I've never used either, but I'm guessing Varget is a stick powder, while Titegroup is a flake.

That being said, they could make their labels appear different; more so than they do. IMR has different color labels for each powder. A person should read, but it is yet another visual clue you are about to screw up.

Thanks for the reminder to pay attention.

This is a good reason not to leave powder in the measurer too. A friend of a friend of mine was loading 45 acp and left his powder in the measurer one night. His brother comes over to load some .308 and didn't notice the small amount of pistol powder in the dispenser dumped his powder in and loaded his .308. Blew up a FAL with the first shot. Luckily cuts and scrapes and a few stitches. Put everything away and clean between each loading run. One slip up can be deadly/costly. This happened a few years ago when I first started reloading and I will never forget the look on the guy's face at the time he told the story. Double check everything.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will refrain and take it easy on the guy because he DID take it like a man, but.......If you cannot tell the difference between Varget and Titegroup.......ohh wait, I said I'd take it easy on the guy.  LOL

Varget is a really healthy extruded powder.  Titegroup is really fine.  Kinda like a dark colored Bullseye.  

I could see a mistake such as confusing H110 and Titegroup.  They look similar.  Varget?  Varget doesn't look like ANY fine pistol powder.  

I'll take it easy on him.  Sometimes mistakes do happen.  

I've accidentally pulled out in front of another vehicle, TWICE, after looking both ways several times.  Not excusing it, because any one of these mistakes could have resulted in injuries or death.  But saying that it's really difficult to be "tuned in" 100% ALL THE TIME.  I do try, and STILL make mistakes.  I do learn from each and every mistake.  They rarely happen more than once.  Just as in this case, I suspect.

Guest livefreeordie1

I use Titegroup since that's the only pistol powder I have left but I don't much care for it.  The charges are so small that you can double charge 9mm and even triple charge .38 Special.  It contains a lot of nitro glycerine so it's basically little flakes of dynamite.  Don't understand how it could be mistaken for rifle powder though.