Open Carry Dress Code.

Let's leave the open vs concealed debate for another thread.

That being said, why does it feel like the normal dress code options for open carriers fall into the following three categories?

1) Tacticool. Too many ventures into the Grip Zone and one too many Mountain Dew Code Reds with their Call of Duty.

2) Denim shorts and beater. Often with either a Hi Point or a Taurus in a Fobus.

3) Nerdy "dress to impress" collared shirt, tucked in, clean Super Cuts hairstyle, and Khaki shorts.

Now, I know I'm making some harsh generalizations here, but here in Tennessee this is what I've seen.

I open carry often, but God help me if I'm going to tuck my damn shirt in or dress like a douche canoe to make the public view me as some sort of safe Napoleon Dynamite perusing the aisles of Kroger with my nunchucks. I like to think I'm stylish(and my wardrobe reflects the current trends in the country music industry)..

Maybe I'm way off base here. Or maybe I'm just an a*shole.

Let's leave the open vs concealed debate for another thread.

That being said, why does it feel like the normal dress code options for open carriers fall into the following three categories?

1) Tacticool. Too many ventures into the Grip Zone and one too many Mountain Dew Code Reds with their Call of Duty.

2) Denim shorts and beater. Often with either a Hi Point or a Taurus in a Fobus.

3) Nerdy "dress to impress" collared shirt, tucked in, clean Super Cuts hairstyle, and Khaki shorts.

Now, I know I'm making some harsh generalizations here, but here in Tennessee this is what I've seen.

I open carry often, but God help me if I'm going to tuck my damn shirt in or dress like a douche canoe to make the public view me as some sort of safe Napoleon Dynamite perusing the aisles of Kroger with my nunchucks. I like to think I'm stylish(and my wardrobe reflects the current trends in the country music industry)..

Maybe I'm way off base here. Or maybe I'm just an a*shole.

Are jeans not an option for open carry?  :D

I'm more concerned with how a person walks, talks, and acts - as opposed to their general appearance. 

• Like 1

Are jeans not an option for open carry?  :D

I'm more concerned with how a person walks, talks, and acts - as opposed to their general appearance.

I wear jeans every day. Haha.

I suppose my post in part has to do with some videos I've seen lately. Some people post the most ridiculous videos out there about dress code, in particular this one dorky kid dressed like a Best Buy salesman convinced that his way is the only way,

Sometimes I feel like any and all open carry videos are part of some secret homoerotic subculture like the cigar smoking videos of men wearing leather and smoking incredibly large ring guage cigars.

Don't ask how I know about those videos. :lol: The internet can be a scary place.

I wear jeans every day. Haha.

I suppose my post in part has to do with some videos I've seen lately. Some people post the most ridiculous videos out there about dress code, in particular this one dorky kid dressed like a Best Buy salesman convinced that his way is the only way,

Sometimes I feel like any and all open carry videos are part of some secret homoerotic subculture like the cigar smoking videos of men wearing leather and smoking incredibly large ring guage cigars.

Don't ask how I know about those videos. :lol: The internet can be a scary place.

Did you check the mirror for scary people before you started cruising the scary internet? ;)

In all seriousness, I share the amusement in videos that get posted, especially the implied rules associated with them. I'll be on the lookout for a hall monitor the next time my cargo shorts don't meet someone's approval for how an open carrier ought to dress. 

Edit: Those with closed minds in our community are almost as bad as the closed minds of the antis..... Almost

Edited by Glock30
  • Like 1

Folks like you are just jealous of my 5.11 pants with drop leg holster, and my Walter Sobchek vest.  I know that I'm better prepared than any of you sheep.  You sound like the type of hater that talks smack about my back up throwing knives I keep on my belt.

• Like 1

Folks like you are just jealous of my 5.11 pants with drop leg holster, and my Walter Sobchek vest.  I know that I'm better prepared than any of you sheep.  You sound like the type of hater that talks smack about my back up throwing knives I keep on my belt.

Were you at the Wolfchase Galleria Mall yesterday?

Were you at the Wolfchase Galleria Mall yesterday?

I can neither confirm or deny that. As you can tell, I'm extremely tactical and opsec minded, which is why I make sure everyone knows how tactically loaded out I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

This is apparently how one is supposed to dress when attending a gun show. Anybody know why that is? :shrug: 

I don't see too much open carriers out my way. The most amusing ones were:

1) Guy wearing huting camo from head to toe, with a flat dark earth hi-point in a drop leg holster at 12:00am at the local Wal-Mart;

2) Guy open carrying a S&W body guard (wtf? I thought the point of OC was to carry something you can't easily CC);

3) The walking stereo type: Guy wearing an NRA polo, NRA baseball cap, full size Glock in a Serpa with a double mag pouch on the opposite side of his belt.