Thinking about buying a 9mm shooter...

gregintenn

If you run across a Beretta Compact 9 check it out.

Shorter barrel like the Centurian models and has shorter 13 round mags. But, with Xtrema grip extenders slipped over standard 15 rounders it works well and looks finished not rigged.

Add a Beretta D trigger spring for double action smoothness; the single action trigger is crisp already.

It comes with the dot over dot style sights (My pref) rather than the usual Beretta 3 dot sights!

I prefer the earlier Italian versions rather than the U.S. version that has War & Peace warnings scribbled all over the pistol. Edited by Djay3

You mentioned a Browning Hi-Power.  I had one once.  It was stolen by some POS about 10 years ago.  Finest pistol I ever owned.  I want another one at some point in time.  If you have the money, you will not regret the purchase!

• Like 2

Hmmm. Interesting question but since you've indicated a desire to stay with an all metal 9mm P I'm going to suggest my favorite first the Browning Hi Power. Next will be the Beretta 92 FS followed by a CZ75 Clone. But for giggles and grins you might want to play with a High Point Arms C-9 just for the heck of it.

I believe most folks would pick the CZ 75B if they used it for a little while. While heavier due to being all metal it balances so well it feels lighter and has a natural point for most.

You can get it with either a safety or decoker and full size or compact.

The Lion Heart 9mm compact is nice with the tri-action system but mags and such are not quite as easy to obtain yet plus holsters and other after market parts have yet to be easy to obtain. I do use a CZ75B Compact holster  for mine. Also got some mags from Buds Gun Shop.

It is as accurate as any compact I have owned or fired.

The Walther P1 is a fine shooter and going up in value every year it seems. They can usually be had relatively cheaply and they're some of my favorite pistols. For a guy who likes the classics I'd be looking there or a Hipower. 

+1 on Walther.  I've had my P99 in .40S&W for almost 11 years now.  I can only imagine the 9mm is just as high quality, and if I ever switch to a 9mm, it will probably be that.  Finding quality holsters is hit or miss, however.

Browning Hi Power
CZ 75
Beretta 92
Sig P 226
Sig P210
1911 in 9mm

Those would be my choices, and pretty much in that order.

A nice Belgian Browning would look awfully nice next to one of your fine S&W revolvers.

Might also look for a S&W 5906, but I agree with Dave, your S&W 39 would be hard to beat unless you want high capacity or a gun to be hard on.
There is an article in the American Handgunner May/June 2013 issue. You may be able to find it online somewhere but it's an article about "9mm Gems" the 11 pistols are

Luger P-08
Browning P-35 (Hi Power)
Walter p 38
Sig p210
CZ75
S&W 39
Sig P220/226
Beretta 92
HK p7
Springfield Armory EMP
Glock 19
  • Like 1

I'm covered in revolvers. The CZ75 looks interesting, as does a Beretta 92. Also, the Sig210 catches my eye, but they seem to be a bit on the pricey side.

Perhaps a Browning Hi Power?

I'd like a full size pistol. Not polymer. No accessory rail.

How's the trigger in the EAA Witness?

pretty much the same ... most (all unmodified?) DA/SA have a bit of wiggle in the SA pull.  

High powers are nice.   Pricey?  Maybe just the old ones, I don't know?

Edited by Jonnin
Hi-power all the way. The CZ is patterned after the hi-power, so there is a lot going for it in that regard. Even the cz clones are excellent choices for less money. Kinda like a Rock Island 1911 compared to a colt.
IMO - the 92 is a huge step in another direction ... Away from the good ergonomics, trigger, and adjustability of the HP and CZ's. Kinda like comparing a Pontiac Fiero to a Ferrari. Edited by Smith

Saw the rail off and it looks like a winner!

It's good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't like rails. I have some handguns with rails and I find myself liking the gun enough to put up with the rail, but always wishing it wasn't there.
  • Like 1

Greg.... Think :  "Hi-Power".... Find an older one that was carefully used and lovingly cared for.... I didn't do that 40 or so years ago, and im sorry; i wuz in my anit-9 mm stage then...Thought a 9 mm wuz almost as good as a 38 special, so i bought Smiths instead,.. I got a buddy with two of them that would turn loose of his children before his hi-powers (...of course the children are grown now...)...  

leroy

Another good option to the Hi-Power - if you come across an FEG PJK-9HP snatch it up. You can usually find them under $400 and they are Hungarian clones of the HP and in some cases are a bit better. Not as polished but nearly every part is interchangeable with the HP. 

I was checking out the top 11 9mm list and saw the P-38.

My buddy bought a P1 a few years back and when we go shooting, it's the one he shoots.

He likes it the best out of all his handguns and he has a lot brand-name stuff in the safe to choose from.

If you're looking for shooter and "duty-grade" all steel 9mm, may be worth checking out.

• Like 1