Best Truck for The Money

Grunt81

Hey all. I'm looking into buying a used 4wd truck later this year. I don't really care if it's a 4,6, or 8 cylinder. Just that fuel economy is reasonable for a 4wd.

I'd prefer a stick shift, but am open to automatics. It also has to be able to reliably fit a car seat for a baby. I'm not looking to tow anything, just use the bed for dear carcasses, fishing kayaks, and some gardening and building materials.

What makes and models have you all have good experiences, that can get the job done for what I need it for? I'd prefer great gas mileage, but it's not a deal breaker if something else is more reliable.

Thanks!

Sounds like a later model Tacoma with a 4 cylinder would fit the bill. The older ones have smaller cabs but I owned a newer single cab not too long ago with plenty of room. I'm 6'2" and was never uncomfortable. They are pricey though. Usually as much if not more than a like model Chevy or Ford.

• Like 2

Sounds like a later model Tacoma with a 4 cylinder would fit the bill.

I really think the Tacoma is the best "all purpose" truck out there.  Not too small, and not too big, with a great longevity to them.  The only thing stopping me from owning one is that my current truck (a Ford Ranger) just won't die, and I refuse to buy a new vehicle without a need to.

• Like 1

You know, your guys are right about that. Both the Tacoma and Frontier have awesome track records for longevity and reliability. My issue with them as that I'd probably never buy them used because the used price for those trucks is usually outrageous. I could only justify buying one of them new, but then that would be a whole other thread just considering new trucks only.

I apologize. I should have specified. Let's go ahead and compare Chevy, Dodge/Ram, and Ford models :usa: . I'm more of a Chevy guy than a Ford, but I've heard several people say the Ranger kicks the S10's behind so the Ranger is definitely in the running. What I don't like about Chevy trucks  is they are so low to the ground. I'd rather have a decent clearance from the factory without having to do a mandatory lift job so Sierras and Silverados are hurting there. 

I don't like the body style of the F-150's of the early 2000s  :puke:

I have personal experience with driving a Ford E-250 and Dodge Ram 1500 for different jobs I had. I would pretty much abuse these vehicles and they took all that I dished out. 

So a better question would be, what have you guys found to have the most reliable engines and transmissions from your trucks? I am mechanically inclined and can certain things some people will pay a mechanic $60 to $500 to do. I understand all manufacturers are capable of a lemon, but what seems to have the best track record and ease of basic repairs?

Top three are Toyota, Toyota & Toyota.
A little more money now but with good maintenance it will be there.

A customer of mine has an older 2wd with the 22R 4cyl. Last time we talked he had around 480K on it. A few clutches, a water pump, belts and hoses and such...but other than that, just oil changes. Edited by Caster
  • Like 3

My advice is be really patient and try to find a private sale by expanding your search radius.

From the dealer side (in East TN) , trucks bring premium money, even with miles in excess of 150k. 

Franchise dealers are retaining trade-in trucks with miles in excess of 200k

My lender clients are simply amazed at the prices dealers will pay for trucks going through the repo lane.

My vote would be a F150 crew cab (for a growing family) the newer models with eco boost will get you decent gas mileage. I don't know your definition of good gas mileage but my 6.2L gets 16mpg hwy and my buddy eco boost V6 3.5 L twin turbo gets 22mpg hwy...

• Like 2

Bought an 05 gmc canyon 4wd 2 years ago and love it, thought about getting rid of it a few months back but reality set in and a paid off truck is worth a lot more than a nicer awd car with a payment.

Top three are Toyota, Toyota & Toyota.
A little more money now but with good maintenance it will be there.

A customer of mine has an older 2wd with the 22R 4cyl. Last time we talked he had around 480K on it. A few clutches, a water pump, belts and hoses and such...but other than that, just oil changes.

I'll affirm this - i have a 1992 2wd toyota with 48k miles and have only had to change the oil, tires and spark plugs once. Frankly plastic stiff is starting to just finally break down at this point but thats easy to deal with. Great truck - just a little small bed sometimes

I don't mean to be so hard on the domestic auto makers but this is the truth.  Say you finance a new truck for 7 years which is the norm nowadays(which I never recommend doing but that's another discussion.)  Figure you drive about 20,000 miles per year, when the truck is paid off would you rather have a Toyota with a 140K on it  or a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge with 140K?  Having owned Fords, Chevy's, Dodges, and Toyotas in this mileage range I would hands down choose the Toyota.  If you are the kind of guy that wears a truck out especially, you can't go wrong with the Toyota, and if you trade every couple of years then you probably don't mind loosing your ass anyway.  IMO opinion Toyota just makes better quality stuff I've driven a few (well cared for) Toyotas that still feel new with upwards of 200K on the clock.  I'm not saying the domestics won't reach that mileage but with few exceptions they feel like old trucks at that mileage.

You just can't go wrong with a Tacoma. My father has driven them for years and driven them hard. His 1995, 2.7 liter had 500k miles. I have owned two, and I only got rid of my last one because I wanted a new Wrangler. Yes, Tacomas cost a lot, but they are worth it, and you will not lose money it. I traded my 2013 in after 18 months/20k miles and lost all of $2500.
  • Like 1
I have a Tundra and was shopping for a Tacoma when I bought it. I actually bought it over the Tacoma because there isn't as much demand for them as there is the Tacoma so they tend to be cheaper. BTW I am referencing the first generation Tundra, the newer ones that probably doesn't apply to.

I had a 1996 tacoma for about 8 years, traded it in with 240K on it. 4cly 4x4 5 speed, best truck I ever owned. I busted the rear leaf springs shortly after I purchased it, other than that all I did was change oil and one clutch out. I had a 2002 super charged Frontier also while my dad worked for Nissan, it was a good truck. I now have a 2004 F-150 4x4 I really like the size but miss my Yota all the time. When I traded it in a couple years ago I got 3k for it as a trade in.

I would spend the money on a new Tacoma.  I have a 2006 Access cab 4x4 SR5 V6 auto and it will probably outlast me.  A couple years ago, I saw a 2007 near twin to my truck with more miles at a dealership for $25k.  I laughed, since I gave about $24k for mine new.  The used ones are simply too expensive.  If you change your own oil, I would find the filter before buying it.  Changing the oil on my 2006 is a breeze, but my wife's 2013 V6 4Runner is the mother of all oil changes. 

Well I've gotta say I'm an American truck fan, not because of the value, we know that sucks but because I haul stuff. I have an 08 Ram which has impressed me tremendously as did my last 2 chevy's and Ford.
If you don't haul, the Tacoma is probably the way.

You know, your guys are right about that. Both the Tacoma and Frontier have awesome track records for longevity and reliability. My issue with them as that I'd probably never buy them used because the used price for those trucks is usually outrageous. I could only justify buying one of them new, but then that would be a whole other thread just considering new trucks only.

I apologize. I should have specified. Let's go ahead and compare Chevy, Dodge/Ram, and Ford models :usa: . I'm more of a Chevy guy than a Ford, but I've heard several people say the Ranger kicks the S10's behind so the Ranger is definitely in the running. What I don't like about Chevy trucks is they are so low to the ground. I'd rather have a decent clearance from the factory without having to do a mandatory lift job so Sierras and Silverados are hurting there.

I don't like the body style of the F-150's of the early 2000s [emoji14]uke:

I have personal experience with driving a Ford E-250 and Dodge Ram 1500 for different jobs I had. I would pretty much abuse these vehicles and they took all that I dished out.

So a better question would be, what have you guys found to have the most reliable engines and transmissions from your trucks? I am mechanically inclined and can certain things some people will pay a mechanic $60 to $500 to do. I understand all manufacturers are capable of a lemon, but what seems to have the best track record and ease of basic repairs?

The most reliable match I have found is my old spare truck. It's a 95 F150 with a straight 6 300ci with an e4od transmission. I've got a transmission cooler on it and this thing has seen some loads. I used to regularly tow a fifth wheel 32' Dutchman camper. About 8,800 pounds. It's got over 200k but I would drive it cross country if I needed to.
I've been very please with my Tacoma. Bought it new in 2010, got 122k on it now. I'll buy another one when the time comes.

If you get a TRD OffRoad package, the 4wd is astounding. I've owned a jacked up, tricked out wrangler and the Tacoma 4wd seems as capable of not more so.
Dave, where do you get that nonsense from? Tundra's and Taco's are made in Texas. Camry's are made in Kentucky. They're as much American as anything "domestic". Ford, dodge and Chevy outsource parts for their junk as much as anyone.