Handgun pocket carry opinions.

ncomarc

I've googled and read up on the pocket carry threads on here, but I would like to hear actual hands on opinions on my particular carry options:

1. I have the chance of getting a .45 xdm that has already been sent to the factory for the safety upgrade at a great price. I've shot it and can handle it with no issues. Will be needing to get a grip tape of some sort, after 200rnds palm started chaffing. Reliability - no issues with mix loads.

2. I was thinking of waiting for the G43, I know it's a 9mm, but I'm familiar with Glocks and thought that would be my summer/pocket carry pistol. Can't find any ranges that have any for rent.

3. Stick with a G-26.

Normally I would enjoy figuring it out on my own by renting and shooting them side by side, unfortunantly with my empending furlough, I would rather hear from people that have handled them or can speak of the ergonomics. I've done good with help from this sight on my questions in the past. I've had Khar PM9's, a Rorbaugh 9 and currently carry a G-26 so for those that have played around with those guns, what say you?

My first question would be "How big are your pockets?". Those choices would be difficult for me to pocket manual. If you have really big pockets and get a good holster then I see no issues. I would keep in mind that although a certain gun will fit in the pocket and carry well you  must also consider how fast you can draw the gun. My LCP will fit in any pants I own but I have a certain few pair of Carhartts with very wide opening pockets that make drawing a dream. Others not so much. 

For me, a G26, Shield, or an XDS will not fit in the pocket of anything I own, comfortably. Closest thing I have owned that fits in my pockets is a PM9 and a P380. But I don't wear really baggy pants or tactical type pants made for pocket carry.
I have pocket carried 90% of the time over the last several years. While I have done a G26/27, I find them slow to draw. To be honest, my Shield carries well in the pocket, but it is still a slow draw. The reason I have went back to a j frame is because I can draw it much quicker and I like the heavier trigger.

I have handled a G43 but I have not shot one. I do like the way it feels, and everyone tells me it is just a bit snappier than a Shield because it is lighter.

I don't think I could pocket carry any of those guns, with the exception of the G43 (haven't seen one in person, so I don't know for sure).  The XDm, no way.  I can *barely* pocket carry the XDs 45 in a few pockets, but not many.  I have a Sig p238 that works well in my pocket that I carry 100% of the time.

Bottom line it depends on your body build and brand of pants you wear. For me the LCP works like a champ and a J frame Airweight with thin grips works, but only just. The XDs9 & G-26 would work with really deep reinforced pockets but are far better in an IWB or coat pocket mode. The G-43 is thinner & lighter then the 26 but still a touch to large for me to want one for pocket carry. I've carrier a PPk/s in the past, even tried to make it work for me as a pocket carry gun. Weight and size just weren't right for me.

I'm 6'2", 225 lbs. and wear mostly loose cargo shorts and long pants with pretty large pockets, and my Kahr PM9 is the max size I would consider pocket carrying, and of course it's significantly smaller than any of the three you mention.

And I find even a J Frame as uncomfy by comparison in pocket, due to the fat width of the cylinder.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I couldn't pocket carry any of those. That said, I wouldn't sweat the palm chaffing after 200 rds. I'd bet most anyone would have a sore hand after 200 rds through a pocket gun. My P3AT serves one purpose only, and range toy isn't it. I practice with it to stay proficient, but I don't shoot it for fun.

I'd put the highest priority on the one thats easiest/fastest to draw.

The information below is from a post I made here a year or two ago. It explains how to make super thin pocket holsters that won't shift in your pocket. I use it for a Kahr PM9 or a Kel-Tec P3-AT, but you could make them for any gun. To the OP, if you currently carry a Glock G-26, you'll probably end up with a G43, because.... well... it's a Glock. 

Please note that these holsters don't look great because, frankly, I don't care what they look like. I just want it to be functional. Gaffers tape will improve the looks a lot. My G26 in the jug holster is the same width as my P3-AT in the DeSantis holster!

I make my own holsters out of thermoplastic and gaffers tape. Here is a link to my process over on theKTOG.org Kel Tec forum.

http://www.thektog.o...olsters-256713/

These aren't great looking because they are shown in various stages of build as well as some prototypes. Notice that gaffers tape looks a LOT better than duct tape. I only use gaffers tape now.

The seventh picture down the page shows a Kel Tec P3-AT on the left in a traditional DeSantis pocket holster and a Glock G26 on the right. The thermoplastic is so thin that the tiny P3-AT and the G26 are almost the same width in the pocket, yet the G26 is a pretty wide gun.

You'll notice my holsters are a lot wider at the bottom than the DeSantis. I did that on purpose so it wouldn't tilt in my pocket. You could obviously make it narrower if you prefer. 

Another advantage is that you can easily make the holster longer so you handgun doesn't sit so low in deep pockets. 

Edited by jgradyc
I pocket carry a .45 XD-s 3.3 every day in a slim kydex holster. Sure it's heavier/bulkier than my P32, but I don't mind it. If I didn't wear loose fitting pants, I couldn't pull it off. I've also pocket carried a Ruger SP101 for a while. It wasn't so bad either.

Handguns that I 've used for pocket carry that will fit my front or back pocket and is easily drawn are: Kahr PM9, Sig P938, Sig P238, Kimber Solo Carry DC, S&W Bodyguard 380. My XDS 9 is too heavy and large for my pockets, okay for IWB. These are the ones that have worked for me.

PM9 and P938 have been my keepers.

Edited by lshel

The internet will tell you that it can't be done but I love a G26 for pocket carry.  I have carried at various times a Ruger LCR, LCP, (still do occasionally), and a Glock 42.  The Glock 26 is by far my favorite.  It is in my pocket right now.  No it cannot be carried in every pair of pants.  I drop the the LCP for days I feel exceedingly lazy or for a few pairs of suit pants I have with shallower pockets.  

Well, I used to carry larger guns in a pocket and my final answer on that is that you can do it, and do it effectively, with a little care in selection of your pants to get large pockets and such.   These days, though, you can find a 9mm pocket gun in a variety of flavors that will do all you need, no longer is it a choice between stuff that does not quite fit or a weaker caliber (25s, 32s, 380s etc were all one could find some years ago).   After evaluating just about every pocket pistol I could lay my hands on, I carry a sig 938 now, and the closest runner up (very, very close... )  was the shield.    Those two left just about everything else way behind for my personal prefs, whatever that means to anyone else :P

I pocket carry a lot with either a Sig P938 or a Ruger LCP. I have a Glock 27, but I find it too large to pocket carry most days, unless I'm wearing cargo shorts. Most of the time I'm in a suit I have the Sig, but a couple of suits have really shallow pockets and I have to stick with the LCP when I wear those.

For me really comfortable pocket carry (the only way I EDC in warm weather) means a .380 or a .38 J-Frame. I carry a S&W 642 in anyone of several pocket holsters. I also double sew the inside seams on my strong side pocket. During the winter I switch to OWB with a Glock 23 in a SOB holster (Under a sweater and coat). I find most 9MM and .40/,45 Semiautos are just too bulky and heavy for daily pocket carry in comfortable trousers ( Chinos for me).

I am buying a 9mm to go with my 40 and 380. I carry my 380 while in my work cloths, sunday's, and any other time i cant fit my bigger frames. I had been carrying my 40 anytime else but i am going to add a smaller 9. When i shoot my 380 it is just not accurate. So i want a 9 that i could carry in order to leave my 380 more.