Trip to San Diego, suggestions needed

Hey guys
Heading to San Diego for a conference this week. I'll be staying within walking distance of the convention center and the gas lamp area. I've never been before. Anybody have any suggestions for places to visit while I'm out there? I'd appreciate any tips you've got.
Thanks!

PS ... I've already checked my carry on bag twice for random bullets and etc. I won't be "that" guy.
It's been a lot of years but there was a place called Croce's, it had a good music venue and was started by Jim Croce.

There was a Dicks Last Resort there as well. Used to have all auce crab legs for a good price. I highly recommend Bonita Store for their Baja Buckets, absolutely fantastic food with crane Asada and pollo Asada with slipper lobster and shrimp!

The best Mexican food can be found in the places called Roberto's or Juanbertos or any variation of bertos. They look like roach traps but a carne Asada burrito from a joint like that will change your life.
Just a little north of downtown is Ocean Beach, I lived there for awhile and it is worth a visit, great little beach town. North of that is Pacific beach, much bigger area with a lot to do.

There is also a nude beach at the Torrey Pines park, it's a good hike down the cliff but you can be nude in public as will a lot of local babes.

The Zoo is good but is a prison for animals inmo.

Great place to visit! Edited by Still Ugly
  • Like 1

It really all depends on what you want. San Diego has a lot to offer. I was stationed there for 16 years and we do go back on occasion. With that said, if you are walking around the Convention Center are check out Sea Port Village. Yes its your basic tourist trap sort of deal but there is an awesome Chicago style pizza joint there that's right on the bay, http://www.asaggiopizza.com/ . As mentioned the Zoo is great and so is the San Diego Safari Park, formally known as the Wild Animal Park. I never cared for Sea World, but it is also an option. If you like wine, check out a small road trip to Temecula, http://www.temeculawines.org/wineries-vineyards/. Still Ugly nailed it for the Mexican food. Any of the "bertos" places are good as well as hundreds of hole in the wall places. The one place that I always go back to when I am in San Diego is El Tapitio in Imperial Beach (South of San Diego). For the first few years after I retired and moved back here we would fly out with a cooler and fill the said cooler with carne asada or machaca con huevo burritos and bring them home and freeze them. :) Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma is cool, http://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm. I have a buddy and my mentor in the Navy is interred at the National Cemetery and I do try to visit him when I am in town. Morbid, maybe but a somber and at times refreshing experience to me. If you have any specific questions toss them out and I am sure we can get them answered.

I would also recommend taking the ferry over to Coronado island.  You can catch the ferry right behind the convention center.  Go to the Hotel Del Coronado.  Everything is pricey, but it is some of the most amazing scenery in the area and you can grab a beer and kick back.  Sometimes, you can watch the SEALS training on the rocks and beach immediately adjacent to the hotel.  It is surreal seeing some of the rich people enjoying a shrimp cocktail on the deck as a group of wet, sand coated SEALS run by with a boat on their heads.  Coronado island as a whole is a nice change of pace from the Gas Lamp district sometimes.

3 words:

Tijuana Donkey Show

Seriously though, +1 to the USS Midway. You could catch a Padres game if they're in town. Coronado's a nice place, but it's a mile and a half walk from the ferry stop on Coronado over to the beach and the Hotel Del Coronado. You may be able to hail a cab there at the nearly abandoned shopping center at the ferry stop on Coronado.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

One of the best Gyros I've ever had came from Spiro's right there were the ferry lands on Coronado.

From downtown/Gaslamp you can ride the trolley up to Old Town for a taste of history....and tourism.

Edited by Garufa
  • Moderators

The best Mexican food can be found in the places called Roberto's or Juanbertos or any variation of bertos. They look like roach traps but a carne Asada burrito from a joint like that will change your life.
Just a little north of downtown is Ocean Beach, I lived there for awhile and it is worth a visit, great little beach town. North of that is Pacific beach, much bigger area with a lot to do.
!

Having lived in Ocean Beach myself for a short time, I can wholeheartedly second this bit. In fact there is a little Mexican joint on Newport Ave. that is tucked into the corner of a bar that has the best carne asada burritos I had while I was there. Also, the place down on the end right next to the beach has the best fish tacos.
I have no idea of the names of any of these places, I drank A LOT while I lived there. :lol:
  • Like 1

We think alike, I went there for my 18th BD, that vision is still burnt on the back side my eyeballs.

Just watch you don't wake up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney!
Probably have a better chance of getting wacked by the cartel or rolled by the police :/
  • Like 1

My information would be 31.5 years old. :(

I read this this morning and didn’t comment because I think my info may be outdated. I went through boot camp and Machinist School there in 71/72. Things have probably changed. biggrin.gif

The USS Midway was the highlight of my trip.

This ^^^^ Also, there are a ton of boats that will give your tours along the beach. Not just for the sand, but informational about the military ships and historic background on them. There is also one that is a huge speedboat that flies! It spins and splashes water so don't have your cell phone out :)

Edited by rugerla1

3 words:

Tijuana Donkey Show

We think alike, I went there for my 18th BD, that vision is still burnt on the back side my eyeballs.

I've heard they don't do that kind of stuff anymore for gringo dollars. Probably happening, but my understanding is they want your money in the tourist shops more than the brothels and bars. 

These days there is not much that could get me south of the border, I can get cheap shoddy goods on alibaba, they don't sell cigarettes cheap anymore, and I doubt US doctors have even heard of 1/2 the venerial diseases you can contract from just using a toilet there.

TJ has changed man, it used to be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabNdHO6lYk

Lots of good suggestions so far.  With what you've heard here and available on the interwebz the only other suggestion I might have is to watch your step.

There are probably more homeless, bums and random hippies roaming about, laying on the sidewalks and sleeping in parks than you have ever seen before.  I kid you not. They mostly leave you alone but they everywhere around the downtown area.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4

Thanks for all the suggestions! The zoo is definitely on the list. I hadn't heard about the USS Midway, but also haven't had a ton of time to do my own research on things to do.  Coronado was definitely also on the list.

As far as you guys having 31 year-old "old" information ... well let's just say your information is older than me!  :yuck: