It Can Happen Quickly.

I'm not always the biggest fan of the police (good ones vs. bad ones etc) but I do respect how tough their job can be.  So thank you to the good ones who do this job and put your lives out their on a daily basis.  Thanks to body cameras, even though the guy pulled a "replica" these videos show just how quickly things can turn and how the officers didn't have time to decide to use non-lethal because it was a fake.  Same incident, different view points with a synced version linked at the bottom.

https://youtu.be/kSiqfM2GR4E

https://youtu.be/0V9AOsWQzpc

Side-by-side / synced version of both.  

https://youtu.be/eXfUBZptZ9Q

http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/8637066-Video-Texas-cops-fatally-shoot-man-who-pulled-replica

Edited by wewoapsiak
Fortunately, that clown didn't have an ounce of competence, else he could have killed at least one of the officers.

Good job adding some chlorine to the gene pool.

Edit: Just noticed you said it was a replica. No way for them to tell that quickly. I guess he just wanted to be shot. Edited by Clod Stomper
  • Like 1

Yeah, it can happen that quickly, if your too close you can try to disarm or like the  supervisor in the video pull the subject to get the gun out of alignment then shove them away from you creating distance. Makes me wonder at the suspects background, mental state and toxicity reports.

Also those cameras are awesome. If I was an officer I would definitely want one. Leaves no doubt as to what happened.

Wonder about those last three shots from the lady cop,  after a short pause,  when the guy was already on the ground though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Anyone who thinks you have time to check a weapon is a fool. Don't know what that dude was thinking he was going to do, other than get shot.

At a guess it was either a suicide by cop action or the poor son of a gun was running on some non prescription narcotics. FWIW though there are people out there who carry and have used dummy guns in robberies and other crimes. As near as I can tell they think having what looks like a real gun will intimidate the victim or get the perpetrator out of trouble. In the end its often a Darwinian Solution.

Wonder about those last three shots from the lady cop,  after a short pause,  when the guy was already on the ground though.

- OS

Reactionary response exasperated by an adrenalin dump and from reading the article transitioning from a less lethal to lethal force response is my guess.   

• Like 1

I love the body cams for sure. That was self explanatory and I don't think there is any doubt what so ever it was a justified shoot. I also think it was a smart move by officers to get him out of the business as calmly as they did. Good job on LEO's parts.....jmho

Edited by bersaguy

I like body cams I bought one and used it for a short while and it cleared me immediately from a complaint. Unfortunately I was then told I couldn't use it anymore.

Were your department's attorneys concerned about invasion of privacy when a citizen is approached by LEO for any reason?

- OS

I wondered about that too.  Looked like panic shooting to me.  

I don't think she should face any discipline for it.  Just as I don't think a private citizen should.  He did, after all, beg to be shot.

You can see in the first video the female officer puller her taser out first. Then, when she realized it was a bit more serious she drew her lethal firearm and that is why there is a delay. She pulls the taser at 0:51 in the first video then by 0:54 she has transitioned to her sidearm.

I would not convict her or even question her actions.

• Like 1

You can see in the first video the female officer puller her taser out first. Then, when she realized it was a bit more serious she drew her lethal firearm and that is why there is a delay. She pulls the taser at 0:51 in the first video then by 0:54 she has transitioned to her sidearm

What I'm mentioning is the delay in her shooting sequence -- she starts firing 9 shots at :57, guy is whacked out on the ground, brief pause, and then she fires 3 more.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

EDIT: As some people are obviously going to take offense (and have), this is what an FBI agent I work with almost every day said when I showed him the video. I am simply passing along HIS observation.

--------------------------------

Is this real, or a training "how to not make an arrest" video?

1) Guy should have been in cuffs at the bathroom. He never should have walked that far behind an officer's back with his hands free.

2) Firing at man on the ground? I get adreneline, but still, not good.

Bad procedure.

Edited by Steelharp

1) Guy should have been in cuffs at the bathroom. He never should have walked that far behind an officer's back with his hands free.

Bad procedure.

Man on the ground can be reengaged if he is not out of the fight.  Many a soldier has learned that shot bad guys can still shoot back.  I have not seen the vid (blocked here) but if he still had the means to engage then she was more than warranted on reengaging her target.

Edit: After viewing the two clips I still ascertain that she reengaged a viable threat, good presence of mind not to shut down to think about what just happened. Edited by Omega

Bad procedure.

Unless you are current or former LEO you have no business criticizing them from the sidelines. 

• Like 2

Unless you are current or former LEO you have no business criticizing them from the sidelines. 

That was an observation from the FBI guy I work with almost every day when I showed HIM the video. I'll pass along your opinion.

Edited by Steelharp